Need your talk or text logs?
Callie33021's profile

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

Thursday, December 14th, 2017 4:52 PM

Excessive Data Usage on New iPhone 8

Why would I end up using so much data in one week with my new iPhone while observing same Internet habits as before when I owned a much older IPhone? In particular, the category Browsing and Technology shows high data usage. I understand Browsing but what constitutes Technology?

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@mlcardoza1 wrote:

AT&T  ... there's no way I will ever upgrade to a $1000 iPhone ... ever ... I can purchase a desk top pc, monitor and printer for that cost plus soft ware to talk to all my current contacts including those over seas for less than $1000. Apple thinks, oh gee, I need a new iPhone X... of course I'll spend a $1000 for it ... cause I need it ...   NOT!

1.  What does this have to do with data use?

2.   iPhone 8 and X are products of Apple, not ATT, or Verizon, T-mobile, Sprint, etc.  I wouldn’t spend $1,000 on a handbag, but I wouldn’t blame Macy’s for the cost of one bad vs another.  

3.  As for excess use, it’s just as possible to use tons of data on a $40 phone.  The phone itself isn’t responsible.  The user and the apps the user chooses to use, they are what uses data.  

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

After reading this and other forums it seems that the problem is not the iPhone. It’s AT&T. Same issue!! I am currently having loyalty monitor my usage. Nothing has changed in my behavior. I had a cohort tell me she is having the exact same issue! I believe it is a way to get you off of old plans that provide services that they now want to customers to pay for. That should be an illegal business practice! 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@Tkins019  Then read again, the issue is the brand new high power, big screen phone.  The OP went from the equivalent of a 3 watt night light bulb, to a halogen flood light.   

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

Wow, @lizdance40, so you are saying that the new higher wattage screen causes more data to be used? Really? I’m sorry, but I am NOT understanding how that can be possible. Please explain in believable detail. Thanks  

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@Tkins019  No.  and I’ll pretend you don’t understand the analogy....

The new screen has a higher resolution screen, more pixels.  Faster processor and an whole new App Store of data hungry applications.  Going from a 3GS to an iPhone 7 or 8 is a huge leap. 

The iOS on the 3GS also took up less than 3 gigs of internal 8 gigs of storage, whereas the current iOS uses almost 6 gigs and isn’t even available to the first 3 generations of iPhone.  

Siri uses data.  Also not available on the early generations.  

None of this relates to your problem.  Until you start looking at your phone as the culprit, your problem will persist.  

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Just for the record, these posts were not submitted by me. I totally
understand what has been eating my data and have adjusted my phone
accordingly. I've turned off cellular for data hungry apps and try to use
WIFI 99% of the time. I do not stream music unless connected to WIFI and I
have turned off notifications nd background refresh for all apps. These
tweaks have helped tremendously and I now have a little rollover data to
work with each month.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@Callie33021  Not to worry.  Each post has a screen name attached.

I knew anyone who could keep a 3GS alive for, what 7 years?  Could figure this out.  

You looked in settings and figured out what you needed to do to manage data.  

I put up with that on Verizon,  I’m not willing or able to pinch my data pennies anymore.  I use my phone and tablet for work, so it’s deductible anyway. 

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40 - No, I’ll pretend you didn’t read my post. I did not go from a
3G to an LTE. I was referencing other posts I had read. Thank you for your
aggressive attempts to convince me that you know what you are talking
about. I sure hope that you don’t officially work for ATT. The reps that
officially do work for ATT are working hard to help with resolving this
issue and none of what your are saying they are agreeing with. They are a
part of the solution team. 🙂 Please cease and desist to respond to my
thread. Thanks and Good bye. 🙂

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

I don’t have I don’t have a 3gs

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

I haven’t had one since the turn of the millennium. From 6 to 8

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.