Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Excessive Data Usage on New iPhone 8

Teacher

Excessive Data Usage on New iPhone 8

Why would I end up using so much data in one week with my new iPhone while observing same Internet habits as before when I owned a much older IPhone? In particular, the category Browsing and Technology shows high data usage. I understand Browsing but what constitutes Technology?

Message 1 of 83
Teacher

Re: Excessive Data Usage on New iPhone 8

How will this help? Are you saying I should buy more data?

Message 16 of 83
ACE - Sage

@Callie33021  If your data plan is as old as the iPhone 3GS, you might need a new plan.  The mobile share flex plan has no overages charges.  You can compare prices online. 

https://www.att.com/plans/wireless/mobile-share-flex.html

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 83
Tutor

Where is the management of the iPhone 8?

[Third party link removed per Guidelines]

Message 18 of 83
ACE - Sage

@site2017 wrote:

Where is the management of the iPhone 8?

Management?  Learn a bit about data here.  

https://forums.att.com/t5/Community-Blog/Data-Management-Cause-for-gray-hair-hair-pulling-and-stress...

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 83
Contributor

AT&T  ... there's no way I will ever upgrade to a $1000 iPhone ... ever ... I can purchase a desk top pc, monitor and printer for that cost plus soft ware to talk to all my current contacts including those over seas for less than $1000. Apple thinks, oh gee, I need a new iPhone X... of course I'll spend a $1000 for it ... cause I need it ...   NOT!

Message 20 of 83
ACE - Sage

@mlcardoza1 wrote:

AT&T  ... there's no way I will ever upgrade to a $1000 iPhone ... ever ... I can purchase a desk top pc, monitor and printer for that cost plus soft ware to talk to all my current contacts including those over seas for less than $1000. Apple thinks, oh gee, I need a new iPhone X... of course I'll spend a $1000 for it ... cause I need it ...   NOT!

1.  What does this have to do with data use?

2.   iPhone 8 and X are products of Apple, not ATT, or Verizon, T-mobile, Sprint, etc.  I wouldn’t spend $1,000 on a handbag, but I wouldn’t blame Macy’s for the cost of one bad vs another.  

3.  As for excess use, it’s just as possible to use tons of data on a $40 phone.  The phone itself isn’t responsible.  The user and the apps the user chooses to use, they are what uses data.  

Message 21 of 83
Teacher

After reading this and other forums it seems that the problem is not the iPhone. It’s AT&T. Same issue!! I am currently having loyalty monitor my usage. Nothing has changed in my behavior. I had a cohort tell me she is having the exact same issue! I believe it is a way to get you off of old plans that provide services that they now want to customers to pay for. That should be an illegal business practice! 

Message 22 of 83
ACE - Sage

@Tkins019  Then read again, the issue is the brand new high power, big screen phone.  The OP went from the equivalent of a 3 watt night light bulb, to a halogen flood light.   

Message 23 of 83
Teacher

Wow, @lizdance40, so you are saying that the new higher wattage screen causes more data to be used? Really? I’m sorry, but I am NOT understanding how that can be possible. Please explain in believable detail. Thanks  

Message 24 of 83
ACE - Sage

@Tkins019  No.  and I’ll pretend you don’t understand the analogy....

The new screen has a higher resolution screen, more pixels.  Faster processor and an whole new App Store of data hungry applications.  Going from a 3GS to an iPhone 7 or 8 is a huge leap. 

The iOS on the 3GS also took up less than 3 gigs of internal 8 gigs of storage, whereas the current iOS uses almost 6 gigs and isn’t even available to the first 3 generations of iPhone.  

Siri uses data.  Also not available on the early generations.  

None of this relates to your problem.  Until you start looking at your phone as the culprit, your problem will persist.  

Message 25 of 83
Teacher

Just for the record, these posts were not submitted by me. I totally
understand what has been eating my data and have adjusted my phone
accordingly. I've turned off cellular for data hungry apps and try to use
WIFI 99% of the time. I do not stream music unless connected to WIFI and I
have turned off notifications nd background refresh for all apps. These
tweaks have helped tremendously and I now have a little rollover data to
work with each month.
Message 26 of 83
ACE - Sage

@Callie33021  Not to worry.  Each post has a screen name attached.

I knew anyone who could keep a 3GS alive for, what 7 years?  Could figure this out.  

You looked in settings and figured out what you needed to do to manage data.  

I put up with that on Verizon,  I’m not willing or able to pinch my data pennies anymore.  I use my phone and tablet for work, so it’s deductible anyway. 

Message 27 of 83
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

@Tkins019  Take a look at the download speed between the IPhone 3GS and 8.  

https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_3gs-2826.php

NETWORK

Technology

GSM / HSPA

2G bands

GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 

3G bands

HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 

Speed

HSPA 7.2/0.384 Mbps

GPRS

Yes

EDGE

Yes

https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_8-8573.php#a190

NETWORK

Technology

GSM / HSPA / LTE

2G bands

GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 

3G bands

HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 

4G bands

LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 29(700), 30(2300), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500), 66(1700/2100)

Speed

HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (3CA) Cat12 600/150 Mbps

I have an old ROKU device that streams at 720P and the new ROKU that can stream at 2160P.  I can watch the same movie on either box, but the new one uses more data that the old one due to the higher resolution, same as the IPhone 8.  

Message 28 of 83
Teacher

@lizdance40 - No, I’ll pretend you didn’t read my post. I did not go from a
3G to an LTE. I was referencing other posts I had read. Thank you for your
aggressive attempts to convince me that you know what you are talking
about. I sure hope that you don’t officially work for ATT. The reps that
officially do work for ATT are working hard to help with resolving this
issue and none of what your are saying they are agreeing with. They are a
part of the solution team. :-) Please cease and desist to respond to my
thread. Thanks and Good bye. :-)
Message 29 of 83
Teacher

I don’t have I don’t have a 3gs

Message 30 of 83
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support