Need your talk or text logs?
Callie33021's profile

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

Thursday, December 14th, 2017 4:52 PM

Excessive Data Usage on New iPhone 8

Why would I end up using so much data in one week with my new iPhone while observing same Internet habits as before when I owned a much older IPhone? In particular, the category Browsing and Technology shows high data usage. I understand Browsing but what constitutes Technology?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

Wow.  I wasn't expecting that old.  Your current phone has 8 times the RAM speed, 3 times the screen resolution, 50% more screen. The old phone was 3G, now you have LTE speeds, which are several hundred times faster.   Just upgrading from 3G to LTE would have increased data use by 2 to 3 times your prior usage.    You’re  comparing a moped to a Ford Mustang.  

https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_3gs-2826.php

https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_8-8573.php

I haven’t seen a post like this since 2014 when most were upgrading from the 4 or 4s to a 5S.  Even then the jump to LTE was cause for double to triple data use.

I know “normal” isn’t what you want to hear/see, but this is very normal.

Also, your new phone is using newer versions of apps, that are NOT the same as the ones that worked on a 3GS.  The old apps had to make due with the low RAM and storage.  New apps are designed better, are faster and to use the higher res screen.   You may think it’s the same, it’s not.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

2.9K Messages

6 years ago

@Tkins019  Take a look at the download speed between the IPhone 3GS and 8.  

https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_3gs-2826.php

NETWORK

Technology

GSM / HSPA

2G bands

GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 

3G bands

HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 

Speed

HSPA 7.2/0.384 Mbps

GPRS

Yes

EDGE

Yes

https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_8-8573.php#a190

NETWORK

Technology

GSM / HSPA / LTE

2G bands

GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 

3G bands

HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 

4G bands

LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 29(700), 30(2300), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500), 66(1700/2100)

Speed

HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (3CA) Cat12 600/150 Mbps

I have an old ROKU device that streams at 720P and the new ROKU that can stream at 2160P.  I can watch the same movie on either box, but the new one uses more data that the old one due to the higher resolution, same as the IPhone 8.  

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

Well, the answer might be you were using a much older iPhone. Was your previous iPhone a 5S or older? It would have used far less data for a smaller screen lower resolution screen Etc.

Also check to see if Wi-Fi assist is on or off in settings turn it off.

How much data is being used and by which apps you will find that information in settings under data usage. Add a screenshot if possible

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

It was a 3GS...the previous phone. I only got the 1 Gig data plan...with
the old legacy plan, I had 2 Gig but averaged about .45 Gig per month,
occasionally, when traveling it was a little higher but never even got to 1
Gig.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

This has made me chuckle!  I appreciate the explanation and it does make sense.  What can I say?  I'm a creature of habit...my Toyota Corolla is 17 years old...my previous iPhone was the 3 GS and I loved it...battery quit on me and I decided to upgrade.  If the battery hadn't started giving me grief, I would have continued with the 3 GS.  If I like something and it works well, I keep it.

Meanwhile, I am turning off everything that doesn't need to be turned on for the phone to function and I am keeping cellular data turned off except for when I am traveling and do not have access to WiFi.  That should help a little, right?

One more question...I received the text message that I am now "throttled."  I turned off WiFi to see exactly how slow things were connecting, and even in throttled mode, the connections seemed fast enough.  How does throttling work?  Am I throttled all the time until the next billing cycle or am I throttled only when too many people are accessing data at once and things bottleneck?

Typically, I use the phone for email, Facebook, Instagram, and checking news on the Web.  And when I travel, I use Waze.  I'm not into streaming music or videos.  Is that why the connections still seem relatively fast to me even in throttled mode?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Since you have a 1GB plan, throttled means you are limited to 2G speeds until your next bill cycle. I guess you aren’t used to fast speeds on your old phone, most people say the throttled 2G speeds are unbearable. Yes, leaving cellular data off will keep you from using up your data. Rather than going to that extreme, though, you can designate which apps are alllowed to use cellular data. Perhaps just limiting to a select few might work too. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

@Callie33021

And you gave a chuckle right back.  After all the posts from people who have to upgrade each year, despite not haven’t enough to pay the rent, you’re a breath of fresh air.   

BTW don’t get a new toaster, they just don’t make them like they used to. 😆

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

We had an old harvest gold refrigerator that lasted for 35 years. When we
replaced it when the motor seized, the delivery person advised us to not
expect the new one to last as long.

I experimented this morning with the throttled speed. Email and Facebook
load quickly. CNN took about 1 minute to load. I can live with this.

Now that I've turned off cellular for a lot of things, I will observe data
usage over the next billing cycle.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

Oh come on, we in the 21st century can wait for “loading”.  If it isn’t instant we have tantrums and throw phones into the ocean.  😆😆😆😆

I didn’t own a smartphone until LTE was a thing, so I cannot imagine waiting for loading.  

Scholar

• 

147 Messages

6 years ago

iPhones makenmenscratch my head and ask, "Why...?" You see, they arenslownto adapt new technology, and when they do its years later. And if this weren't enough, mostniphone users think Apple INVENTED facial recognition, wireless charging, and water resistance technology. Just buy a Samsung or a Moto. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.