For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
artbytes's profile

Mentor

• 

57 Messages

Wednesday, March 11th, 2015 6:05 PM

Enable Mobile Hotspot for Europe on Unlocked ATT Phone

We just upgraded our phone and unlocked the old unused phone, because we want to use it on a European Trip. I've read that people have been successfully taking unlocked android phones, buying a European SIM and using the phone both for calls and as a hot spot while in Europe.

The phone that we unlocked is an ATT Galaxy Note 2. It has the ATT hotspot software on it. I don't have a European sim to try at the moment. However, I'm worried that the ATT software won't allow the hotspot to be turned on once we get there. It wants to check the account to verify that using the phone as a hot spot is on the account.

I'd really like to get this all set now before we leave. Please help me to know what needs to be done so that we can use our old phone as we need to for our trip.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hi there @artbytes

I’d be happy to help with your international device usage!

The AT&T Mobile Hotspot software/feature can only be used on the AT&T network. In order to use a device as a personal hotspot outside the AT&T network, the device’s own hotspot features, if available, must be used.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thanks,

Charise

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

9 years ago

I can't answer your question, but will make an observation. Data in Europe is very expensive; we're spoiled here in the U.S.  Using your phone as a hotspot, as you know, uses OTA data services. If it were me, I'd just look for local cafes, coffee houses, or other free wifi spots while traveling and only use the phone for talk and text.

Mentor

• 

57 Messages

9 years ago

Actually, I've found just the opposite. I can get a card with plenty of
data for about $30 for the trip. In the hotel, they charged $35 per day per
person for a wifi connection. It was totally worth the $30 for 2 weeks to
always have the data right with me. It's great when you are out and about,
as well. You can look things up on your cell phone. Really helps.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

9 years ago

Do you mind if I ask what carrier and how much data? We travel to Europe about once a year (as well as the Caribbean) and I'd like to have data available. But I've always found Europe sells it in MB increments as opposed to GB increments here in the U.S. As a hotspot, 50 MB won't go very far.

TIA

Mentor

• 

57 Messages

9 years ago

Last summer we used EE in London. The SIM with 2G of data was 10 pounds, but that was a promotion along with a hotspot. It worked really well.

A few years back I used one in Germany. It might have been Blau or 3. I can't remember. We also used A1 in Austria. I got that SIM from someone who had a lot left on their card and it was still valid. I had to go into an A1 store and have them help me set it up with the APN, and then it worked well. 

I've been using little mobile hotspot devices, but if I can get the unlocked phone to turn on the mobile hotspot capabilities, I can get a card from TIM in Italy for about 30 Euros. That will allow 2G of data and 200 minutes of phone calls. It's a tourist special - and they said it would even to international calls. 

You definitely need an unlocked device that's GSM. You can get them there, but it's much cheaper to take your own, of course. Also, it's best to go into a phone store there, in country, and be sure to have them help you get it working. The phone or the mobile hotspot has to be set up with the correct APN so that they connect to the right network. For the hotspot, you often connect to a computer, and then login to configure the hotspot from the computer. 

There are often phone stores right in the airports. You just need to find one where they speak a language that you do - but that's not generally too hard. 

Mentor

• 

57 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks. The phone is unlocked and will accept a SIM card from another carrier. Will the phone allow me to turn the hot spot on when that card is in place?  

Mentor

• 

57 Messages

9 years ago

What I really need to know is how to turn off the ATT hotspot software and turn on the native capabilities. The phone does have native hotspot capabilities. It's a Galaxy Note 2

Mentor

• 

57 Messages

9 years ago

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I'll tell you what I finally did. Since this was an old phone that I'm not using anymore - except for trips - I finally just decided to clear the whole thing. It's now rooted with a brand new ROM. It's like having a new phone. Now, I can turn on the mobile hotspot. It doesn't get any data, yet, because I don't have a good SIM in it with a compatible data plan. However, now I'm hopeful that when I get to Europe and get the right SIM from TIM, that I'll be able to use it. Cross your fingers. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

older phone that will work.  Phones like the note 4 wont let you root or flash roms as the bootloader is signed.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Hi,

i'm using in germany s5 active with Android 4.4.2. It has branding from AT&T, is unlocked an works with german-SIM.

1) How i can stop AT&T sofware for hotspot and use the Android-hotspot?

2) How i can update it to Android 5?

thank you

Mendo

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.