For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
stnkyferit's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, August 15th, 2012 5:15 PM

Emergency Alert System

I just have to say that Verizon wiped the floor with you guys last Friday. We had a tornado (VERY rare here) and Verizon Wireless customers had push notifications to their phones, while we had nothing. I see you have the system set up in the NYC area, but not Long Island.

Major #Fail

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Can someone please explain to me why the iphone 5 on verizon has the Wireless Emergency Alerts, but he Iphone 5 on AT&T does not?  I think after the weather disasters and AMBER alerts that are going on across the country that AT&T would want to make this a priority!

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@illinoismember77 wrote:

Can someone please explain to me why the iphone 5 on verizon has the Wireless Emergency Alerts, but he Iphone 5 on AT&T does not?  I think after the weather disasters and AMBER alerts that are going on across the country that AT&T would want to make this a priority!

Becasue the verizon iphone 5 had a special IOS and firmaware patches sent to it that enabled it, prior to those patches it did not have it, the frequency used for the alert is different between GSM and CDMA carriers, the goverment still does not have it working to full capabilities on all cellular transport methods

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:

@illinoismember77 wrote:

Becasue the verizon iphone 5 had a special IOS and firmaware patches sent to it that enabled it, prior to those patches it did not have it, the frequency used for the alert is different between GSM and CDMA carriers, the goverment still does not have it working to full capabilities on all cellular transport methods

But it is possible if AT&T were to have it implemented on the devices. I get cell broadcast alerts on my phone thru the AT&T network, severe weather and AMBER alerts. Extreme threat alerts are also possible, but I haven't received one of those.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@sitnsidewayz wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

@illinoismember77 wrote:

But it is possible if AT&T were to have it implemented on the devices. I get cell broadcast alerts on my phone thru the AT&T network, severe weather and AMBER alerts. Extreme threat alerts are also possible, but I haven't received one of those.

there is a list of devices that the broadcast dos work on, the list is short and the iphone is not one of them

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:

@sitnsidewayz wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

@illinoismember77 wrote:

there is a list of devices that the broadcast dos work on, the list is short and the iphone is not one of them

The person from Illinois already pointed that out. The question is, why not, since the capability is there? Since there are some devices that can receive these, it is obviously not a network limitation. There may be some limitations with certain devices, idk, but we already know the iPhone wouldn't be one of those.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@sitnsidewayz wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

@sitnsidewayz wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

@illinoismember77 wrote:

The person from Illinois already pointed that out. The question is, why not, since the capability is there? Since there are some devices that can receive these, it is obviously not a network limitation. There may be some limitations with certain devices, idk, but we already know the iPhone wouldn't be one of those.

the iphone on verizon did not have that capability until apple patched the firmware and the ios, they must not have turned it out for GSM based phones.

Scholar

• 

164 Messages

11 years ago

So iphones are capable of it.

ATT is capable of it.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@the gryphon wrote:

So iphones are capable of it.

ATT is capable of it.

Have not seen a push of any software by Apple to support this on ATT, so the phone is not at this time

Scholar

• 

164 Messages

11 years ago

That wasn't my point. I'm sure it would require a software or firmware update for ATT to enable it. Yes.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

Spoiler
My wife has the S4 and we live in Connecticut and she gets these message alerts. I have the Note 2. When will my device be capable of this?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.