Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 15, 2012
10:15:04 AM
View profile
Emergency Alert System

I just have to say that Verizon wiped the floor with you guys last Friday. We had a tornado (VERY rare here) and Verizon Wireless customers had push notifications to their phones, while we had nothing. I see you have the system set up in the NYC area, but not Long Island.

Major #Fail

I just have to say that Verizon wiped the floor with you guys last Friday. We had a tornado (VERY rare here) and Verizon Wireless customers had push notifications to their phones, while we had nothing. I see you have the system set up in the NYC area, but not Long Island.

Major #Fail

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 16, 2012 7:24:56 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Currently AT&T offers emergency alerts in NYC, Washington DC and Portland, Oregon. We are actively working to expand this service to other areas. 

More information about this service can be found here: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?&sid=KB410692&cv=820#fbid=3UV__30c1mV

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

Emergency Alert System

21 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(21)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 16, 2012 7:24:56 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Currently AT&T offers emergency alerts in NYC, Washington DC and Portland, Oregon. We are actively working to expand this service to other areas. 

More information about this service can be found here: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?&sid=KB410692&cv=820#fbid=3UV__30c1mV

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

--------------

Re: Emergency Alert System

2 of 22 (7,387 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2012 10:53:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I read this and can't determine if the suburbs of those cities are covered by WEA or CMAS.  Do you have additional information jamileh?  I'm in the Washington DC area, MD suburbs.

I read this and can't determine if the suburbs of those cities are covered by WEA or CMAS.  Do you have additional information jamileh?  I'm in the Washington DC area, MD suburbs.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 22 (7,363 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2012 11:55:56 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Aug 16, 2012 at 11:56:42 AM

Another thing to remember about this - currenlty only certain devices support CMAS. As of the first of the year only the following phones have the capabilities

• Samsung Galaxy SII (SGH-i777)
  • Samsung Captivate Glide (SGH-i927)
  • Motorola Atrix 2 (mb865)

My list is a little dated so you might want to check with the weather service

Another thing to remember about this - currenlty only certain devices support CMAS. As of the first of the year only the following phones have the capabilities

• Samsung Galaxy SII (SGH-i777)
  • Samsung Captivate Glide (SGH-i927)
  • Motorola Atrix 2 (mb865)

My list is a little dated so you might want to check with the weather service

[ Edited ]
4 of 22 (7,353 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2012 12:10:58 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

21stNow wrote:

I'll have to do a little research to find out more info. 

--------------

21stNow wrote:

I'll have to do a little research to find out more info. 

--------------

5 of 22 (7,348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2013 12:52:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have a Galaxy S III, which you would think would have it (as the Galaxy S II has it).  There are reports of CMAS messages going out, and of course, mine doesn't seem to be receiving them.  I consider it a major fail on AT&T's part, in an effort to focus on AT&T-specific features/software that a small fraction of us really use ahead of safety, especially since other carriers with the Galaxy S III have CMAS enabled.

I have a Galaxy S III, which you would think would have it (as the Galaxy S II has it).  There are reports of CMAS messages going out, and of course, mine doesn't seem to be receiving them.  I consider it a major fail on AT&T's part, in an effort to focus on AT&T-specific features/software that a small fraction of us really use ahead of safety, especially since other carriers with the Galaxy S III have CMAS enabled.

6 of 22 (6,922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2013 10:57:50 AM
(0)
Expert

heichers wrote:

Do you live in any of these areas?

If you look at Jamileh;s post in this same thread you would have seen it

heichers wrote:

Do you live in any of these areas?

If you look at Jamileh;s post in this same thread you would have seen it

7 of 22 (6,831 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2013 11:12:22 AM
(0)
Scholar

How do you sign up for these wireless emergency alerts. No ware in the link does it say how to sign up?

How do you sign up for these wireless emergency alerts. No ware in the link does it say how to sign up?

I think there are giant mushrooms. That visit earth in intergalactic spaceships,spying on us.

8 of 22 (6,832 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2013 5:58:56 AM
(0)
Scholar

Any updates on this? This is an important missing function no AT&T iphones.

9 of 22 (5,772 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2013 6:28:24 AM
(0)
Expert

the gryphon wrote:

It appears to also require a IOS upgrade on the iphone, it showed up on the verizon corporate phone after the 6.1.2 upgrade that was just pushed out to CDMA based Iphones - the 4S and the 5. Appears to be a question to Apple, since ATT supports it on specific phones

the gryphon wrote:

It appears to also require a IOS upgrade on the iphone, it showed up on the verizon corporate phone after the 6.1.2 upgrade that was just pushed out to CDMA based Iphones - the 4S and the 5. Appears to be a question to Apple, since ATT supports it on specific phones

10 of 22 (5,766 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2013 6:31:03 AM
(0)
Scholar
I saw on release day Verizon phones. I'm sure it does require an update of some kind. But it's a question for AT&T since we know it's been around on CDMA phones for 6+ months.
I saw on release day Verizon phones. I'm sure it does require an update of some kind. But it's a question for AT&T since we know it's been around on CDMA phones for 6+ months.

11 of 22 (5,771 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2013 1:52:10 PM
(0)
Contributor

Can someone please explain to me why the iphone 5 on verizon has the Wireless Emergency Alerts, but he Iphone 5 on AT&T does not?  I think after the weather disasters and AMBER alerts that are going on across the country that AT&T would want to make this a priority!

Can someone please explain to me why the iphone 5 on verizon has the Wireless Emergency Alerts, but he Iphone 5 on AT&T does not?  I think after the weather disasters and AMBER alerts that are going on across the country that AT&T would want to make this a priority!

12 of 22 (5,010 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2013 3:09:28 PM
(0)
Expert

illinoismember77 wrote:

Becasue the verizon iphone 5 had a special IOS and firmaware patches sent to it that enabled it, prior to those patches it did not have it, the frequency used for the alert is different between GSM and CDMA carriers, the goverment still does not have it working to full capabilities on all cellular transport methods

illinoismember77 wrote:

Becasue the verizon iphone 5 had a special IOS and firmaware patches sent to it that enabled it, prior to those patches it did not have it, the frequency used for the alert is different between GSM and CDMA carriers, the goverment still does not have it working to full capabilities on all cellular transport methods

13 of 22 (5,002 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2013 12:34:53 PM
(0)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

illinoismember77 wrote:

But it is possible if AT&T were to have it implemented on the devices. I get cell broadcast alerts on my phone thru the AT&T network, severe weather and AMBER alerts. Extreme threat alerts are also possible, but I haven't received one of those.

wingrider01 wrote:

illinoismember77 wrote:

But it is possible if AT&T were to have it implemented on the devices. I get cell broadcast alerts on my phone thru the AT&T network, severe weather and AMBER alerts. Extreme threat alerts are also possible, but I haven't received one of those.

14 of 22 (4,483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2013 1:43:52 PM
(0)
Expert

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

illinoismember77 wrote:

there is a list of devices that the broadcast dos work on, the list is short and the iphone is not one of them

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

illinoismember77 wrote:

there is a list of devices that the broadcast dos work on, the list is short and the iphone is not one of them

15 of 22 (4,475 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2013 12:20:07 PM
(0)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

illinoismember77 wrote:

The person from Illinois already pointed that out. The question is, why not, since the capability is there? Since there are some devices that can receive these, it is obviously not a network limitation. There may be some limitations with certain devices, idk, but we already know the iPhone wouldn't be one of those.

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

illinoismember77 wrote:

The person from Illinois already pointed that out. The question is, why not, since the capability is there? Since there are some devices that can receive these, it is obviously not a network limitation. There may be some limitations with certain devices, idk, but we already know the iPhone wouldn't be one of those.

16 of 22 (4,396 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2013 4:32:30 PM
(0)
Expert

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

illinoismember77 wrote:

the iphone on verizon did not have that capability until apple patched the firmware and the ios, they must not have turned it out for GSM based phones.

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

illinoismember77 wrote:

the iphone on verizon did not have that capability until apple patched the firmware and the ios, they must not have turned it out for GSM based phones.

17 of 22 (4,375 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2013 5:59:34 PM
(0)
Scholar

So iphones are capable of it.

ATT is capable of it.

ATT is capable of it.

18 of 22 (4,364 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2013 7:25:02 AM
(0)
Expert

the gryphon wrote:

ATT is capable of it.

Have not seen a push of any software by Apple to support this on ATT, so the phone is not at this time

the gryphon wrote:

ATT is capable of it.

Have not seen a push of any software by Apple to support this on ATT, so the phone is not at this time

19 of 22 (4,330 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2013 7:31:22 AM
(0)
Scholar
That wasn't my point. I'm sure it would require a software or firmware update for ATT to enable it. Yes.
That wasn't my point. I'm sure it would require a software or firmware update for ATT to enable it. Yes.

20 of 22 (4,327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2013 3:45:33 AM
(0)
Tutor
Spoiler
My wife has the S4 and we live in Connecticut and she gets these message alerts. I have the Note 2. When will my device be capable of this?
Spoiler
My wife has the S4 and we live in Connecticut and she gets these message alerts. I have the Note 2. When will my device be capable of this?

21 of 22 (3,693 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2013 3:53:02 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Homeuser on Jun 13, 2013 at 3:54:17 AM

1. Why is/are my posts say: "spoiler alert" on them? - see my post above this one.

2. Will my Samsung galaxy note 2, get this feature?

1. Why is/are my posts say: "spoiler alert" on them? - see my post above this one.

2. Will my Samsung galaxy note 2, get this feature?

[ Edited ]
22 of 22 (3,681 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments