Does ATT use a 3G connection for data tethered to netbook? iPhone 3GS and Dell netbook question

Does ATT use a 3G connection for data tethered to netbook? iPhone 3GS and Dell netbook question

I have the iPhone 3GS and a Dell netbook with a WiFi card installed.

I'm thinking about adding ATT tethering to my wireless account.

Does ATT use a 3G  connection to the netbook?

Or just WiFi?  The WiFi here is limited and I'm not going to MacD's, etc just to use tethering.

Do I have to add any more hardware to my netbook to get tethering to work?

Message 1 of 4

Re: Does ATT use a 3G connection for data tethered to netbook? iPhone 3GS and Dell netbook question

When tethering, the best available cellular signal (3G if available, Edge/GPRS if you're not in a 3G area) is used.  I really don't know if you even can tether for a wi-fi connection.  I don't see why you couldn't, but the whole point is to get internet service where it's not available by other means.

The only hardware you need to tether is either a data cable for the phone or a Bluetooth device for the computer.  That will connect your computer to the internet.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 4

Re: Does ATT use a 3G connection for data tethered to netbook? iPhone 3GS and Dell netbook question

Eric,

I'm glad to hear that it's 3G. I was a bit confused about that part of it.

About this: "The only hardware you need to tether is either a data cable for the phone or a Bluetooth device for the computer.  That will connect your computer to the internet."

Does it mean I physically attach my iPhone to my netbook? What kind of cable do I need and where would I get it, please?

I have a different ISP at home for my computer, so I am not going to be using ATT for home use on my desktop.

Thank you!

Message 3 of 4

I have a better understanding now. I found the requirements on the Apple website and I don't have to buy anything extra. I just have to change my ATT plan. 

iPhone System requirements for Internet tethering

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support