For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
alldressforms's profile

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

Friday, October 15th, 2010 1:46 PM

Does ATT use a 3G connection for data tethered to netbook? iPhone 3GS and Dell netbook question

I have the iPhone 3GS and a Dell netbook with a WiFi card installed.

I'm thinking about adding ATT tethering to my wireless account.

Does ATT use a 3G  connection to the netbook?

Or just WiFi?  The WiFi here is limited and I'm not going to MacD's, etc just to use tethering.

Do I have to add any more hardware to my netbook to get tethering to work?

Accepted Solution

Guru

• 

637 Messages

14 years ago

When tethering, the best available cellular signal (3G if available, Edge/GPRS if you're not in a 3G area) is used.  I really don't know if you even can tether for a wi-fi connection.  I don't see why you couldn't, but the whole point is to get internet service where it's not available by other means.

The only hardware you need to tether is either a data cable for the phone or a Bluetooth device for the computer.  That will connect your computer to the internet.

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

14 years ago

Eric,

I'm glad to hear that it's 3G. I was a bit confused about that part of it.

About this: "The only hardware you need to tether is either a data cable for the phone or a Bluetooth device for the computer.  That will connect your computer to the internet."

Does it mean I physically attach my iPhone to my netbook? What kind of cable do I need and where would I get it, please?

I have a different ISP at home for my computer, so I am not going to be using ATT for home use on my desktop.

Thank you!

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

14 years ago

I have a better understanding now. I found the requirements on the Apple website and I don't have to buy anything extra. I just have to change my ATT plan. 

iPhone System requirements for Internet tethering

Thanks again!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.