Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Did personal hotspots suddenly get throttled/deprioritized?

Tutor

Did personal hotspots suddenly get throttled/deprioritized?

My wife and I use personal hotspots on our phones for gaming, along with a dedicated hotspot router line.  This worked great until a few days ago.  We're on a new billing cycle and are NOT anywhere near the cap where it would start getting throttled.  Both hotspots (hers Galaxy S9 mine iPhone SE) suddenly started being super super laggy, to the point that the same games that worked last week are unplayable.  However, the dedicated mobile hotspot router on its own data-only line is fine.

Did personal hotspots in particular or xbox live on those suddenly start getting throttled?

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Sage (ACE - Sage)
Accepted by lizdance40
‎09-18-2018 11:52 AM

Re: Did personal hotspots suddenly get throttled/deprioritized?

What plan do you have? If you have an unlimited plan with hotspot, that plan has a 10 or 15GB limit on hotspot. ATT did not previously enforce that limit, now they are.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 5
Tutor

Thanks - but neither phone is anywhere close to that 15G limit.  It's as if it's being throttled anyway.  Is it possible there's a bug in the new enforcement?

Message 3 of 5
ACE - Expert

How close are you to 10GB? If you have a separate hotspot device on your plan, you probably have the older plan with the 10GB limit.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5
Tutor

I checked usage online, nowhere close to the cap. Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support