Need your talk or text logs?
Soccermom2024's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, March 24th, 2018 4:46 PM

Data usage

Our sons phone has used the majority of our data. He says that all apps are disabled for data usage but yet his phone is eating our data every month. Do we need to get his phone checked out?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

https://forums.att.com/t5/Community-Blog/Data-Management-Cause-for-gray-hair-hair-pulling-and-stress/ba-p/4323575

If he’s using an iPhone , usage statistics need to be reset with each bill cycle. 

The only need to reset if they want monthly data (which is very useful).

BUT if they've never reset their data they can tell a lot from it.

• They can tell which apps over a multi-month period clearly uses the most data, and isn't that part of what they're trying to figure out?
  • They can also see that the multiple months do add up (or do not) add up to the totals from the same period of bills (people complain that it's not accurate, but with some quick addition can verify that it is [or isn't]).

I never used to reset my data (I regularly do now) and it was interesting to see what a years+ worth of data looked like.

• No crazy use of data in any app that was a surprise.
  • More surprises at how low some apps were (which means no more concern about using those)
  • And WiFi Assist, which everyone says to worry about, was practically negligent after that time period (that includes using poor WiFi in places like Costa Rica where WiFi connections everywhere were quite overloaded).

Now I have a monthly appointment to reset my data regularly (I take a few snapshots, compare it to AT&T's report and reset it).

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Soccermom2024 No you need to look in the settings on the phone, it will very clearly tell you how much each app and the system is using. This is independent of any data that AT&T has.

It's much more likely the phone is doing what it is set to do (a defective phone randomly using data is not impossible to have, but not very likely), but the odds are it's working just fine and it's not set the way you think it is.

How much data are we talking about?

2 GB? or 20 GB?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

Data is not a mystery.   

https://forums.att.com/t5/Community-Blog/Data-Management-Cause-for-gray-hair-hair-pulling-and-stress/ba-p/4323575

If he’s using an iPhone , usage statistics need to be reset with each bill cycle. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

Yes, It can still be diagnostic.  You just have to add up all the months from past bills.  Hopefully not back more than 16 months.  It’s just easier if it’s done with each cycle

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.