For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
sullivc's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, December 4th, 2012 3:24 PM

Data usage while connected to wifi, using Xfinity Connect texting

I am using an iPhone 4s, with AT&T wireless service. I use the Xfinity Connect app for texting, because it is included with my home land line phone package. I am often connected to a wireless service at home and/or work, but during that time, texting is using data. I thought it should be using wifi, and no data use? Is there a setting I'm missing? I am able to track the usage with the "myAT&T" app.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@sullivc wrote:

I am using an iPhone 4s, with AT&T wireless service. I use the Xfinity Connect app for texting, because it is included with my home land line phone package. I am often connected to a wireless service at home and/or work, but during that time, texting is using data. I thought it should be using wifi, and no data use? Is there a setting I'm missing? I am able to track the usage with the "myAT&T" app.

@sullivc wrote:

Does the app do any background checking. If the app sits in the background and checks email, texting, etc and the phone hiberates - screen goes dark, the wifi radio will be discoonnected and it will switch back to cellular. This is the standard operation method for the iphone and lot of other smartphones, the cellular radio needs to stay up for calls, etc but the wifi can be shutdown to conserve battery usage.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.