Need your talk or text logs?
Awsomlich1940's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, July 22nd, 2019 6:19 PM

Data usage on wi-fi

Got a question, I pay for 4 phones on att unlimited plan, was curious why on my girlfriends line(iphone) why between 6am and 9am on most days there is 20k to 80k kb of data used. Yes we live in different towns. When she is at home and on wi-fi should or would that phone use any data? Need help understanding this before I drive myself insane.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

That amount of data is insignificant. It most likely is location services or visual voicemail as those functions will use cellular data even when the phone is on WiFi. Seriously, though, if you have unlimited data, why worry about 20-80kb?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

Used, or posted on your account.  

Not the same thing.  It’s the difference between buying $30 worth of gas at noon with a debit card, but the charge doesn’t deduct from your checking account until overnight.   

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Ok 2 things, forget about what plan I have and 2nd not that I am but explain in simple terms please. I not real tech savvy. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

Explain what in simple terms? As I said, two functions on an iPhone that use cellular data even when the phone is on WiFi are location services and visual voicemail. Those two could easily use 20-80kb and as @lizdance40 explained, the data may not have been used then. Data reporting is not real time. The actual data usage could have occurred many hours to several days earlier.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

20 thousand to 80 thousand kb? Between 6am and 9am? I know att usually updates every 3 hours,  that usage is always between that time. Before its 5kb to 20kb which I believe is nothing. Basically a untrusting individual is asking what this could be. Please dont judge.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

Sorry, missed the 20k kb. So in other words, that’s 20-80 mb. That could be anything and again, no guarantee the data is actually being used then. As you said, data is reported every 3 hours and in most cases, the data was used in that 3 hour time frame but that’s not a guarantee the data was used in that 3 hour period. It still could be from many hours to several days earlier.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

That much data has got to be video streaming.  (See photo sample)

46A5F442-0DF1-449D-94C7-7446F167382E.jpeg0933B415-5A7A-4BD2-B259-05F4677A29FF.jpeg

2 Attachments

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Screenshot_20190722-155710_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190722-155639_Gallery.jpg

Here are 2 examples. You are saying this could be data used earlier in the day when not on wifi? 

2 Attachments

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

You are saying this could be data used earlier in the day when not on wifi? 

Yes.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

Bingo!  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.