Need your talk or text logs?
jbye915's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, July 6th, 2015 6:39 PM

Data plan turned off means no text messages?

I recently turned my son's data plan off because of consumption and he said that he could no longer get my texts unless he is connected to wifi. Is this true???

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

If you son is using a third party app, or a phone manufacture's app for sending text messages, that is probably true. I know that the Apple iPhone has iMessage that is enabled by default, and that will use cellular data (or wifi) instead of the SMS messages.

One other thing to consider is that MMS messages (picture & video messages) as well as some other apps like Visual Voice Mail will not work if cellular data is turned off. Just more reason for him to learn to better manage his resources.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks Jerry. If he turns off iMessage on his iPhone, h should get messages, correct?

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

That should be the case, unless his friends also use iMessage only. In that case, their messages wouldn't get to him, but if they have the iMessage option to "Send as SMS" (used when iMessage is not available). As long as his friends are using cell phones and not iPads or iPod Touch devices as those don't suppport sending SMS messages.

I know Apple had a bug in the past, but I'm not duer if it has been fixed or not. In some cases, when a customer would turn-off iMessage, the Apple servers wouldn't update properly, and they would not get their messages via SMS. This didn't hit all customers, so ther eis a good chance that it wouldn't happen to him anyway.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.