Helpful Links

Data is being used while streaming Directv on I-Phone

Tutor

Data is being used while streaming Directv on I-Phone

Hello,

I decided to try streaming Directv yesterday for about an hour just to see how it went.  When I checked my data, it showing that I had used almost a half gigabite of data.  I tried again this morning to test it.  I reset my cellular data to zero, closed out every open window and streamed directv for about 20 minutes.  I checked my cellular data and it had used 300 MB.  I called AT&T to make sure that it should use no data and they confirmed that it wouldn't, but could not answer the question about why my data was being used so quickly.

I tried the experiment one last time and my cellular specifically said under the directv app that it had used another 112 MB.    It doesn't appear that I am getting the directv streaming that was promised, so I will have to stop using it.

Do you suppose that it will just add the data back on at billing time when it recognizes that the data was used by directv?

Or is there some extra step that AT&T didn't know about?  I am streaming from the directv app. 

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 14
ACE - Expert

Re: Data is being used while streaming Directv on I-Phone

Where are you checking your cellular data usage, on the phone? If so, the phone knows nothing about the free data, it will continue to count it along with any other data. You need to look at your usage on your account. You should see "sponsored data". That is the Directv data and does not count against your plan.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 14
ACE - Expert

That's right

what you see on the device it not how you are billed.  

IMG_5117.JPGIMG_5119.JPG

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are fellow customers. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 14
ACE - Expert

jcollins wrote:

Hello,

I decided to try streaming Directv yesterday for about an hour just to see how it went.  When I checked my data, it showing that I had used almost a half gigabite of data.  I tried again this morning to test it.  I reset my cellular data to zero, closed out every open window and streamed directv for about 20 minutes.  I checked my cellular data and it had used 300 MB. 

Your phone app is using data, if it wasn't you wouldn't be able to see the video, but when you check AT&T they break it out of the data your're being charged for. 

If yuo have a VPN on (or someother weird "thing"), it won't be free data.

• This is the public AT&T community forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When solved / helped, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be the correct information...
    The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, it's particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post).
  • *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
    Message 4 of 14
    Tutor

Yeah, no vpn. Thanks for the reply though.
    Message 5 of 14
    Tutor

That is good to know. I also checked my online bill and the data usage is adding up from using DIRECTV. I guess I will know for sure at the end of the month LOL. Thanks so much for your reply!
    Message 6 of 14
    Tutor

Yes I check the phone app and online under my data usage on the bill. Each time I tried DirecTV, it added up in both places. That's why I was so confused if I am being charged for the Data. Thanks for the reply!
    Message 7 of 14
    ACE - Expert

@jcollins

You are an ATT wireless customer, using the app on your mobile, correct?   You shouldn't have to wait very long before seeing the "sponsored data" on your usage report. 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are fellow customers. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
    Message 8 of 14
    ACE - Expert

@jcollins wrote:
    Yes I check the phone app and online under my data usage on the bill. Each time I tried DirecTV, it added up in both places. That's why I was so confused if I am being charged for the Data. Thanks for the reply!

Confused if when you see it on-line you see it seperate (as @lizdance40 showed above) or if you're saying it's combined.

Are you on an AT&T postpaid account or GoPhone?

• This is the public AT&T community forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When solved / helped, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be the correct information...
    The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, it's particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post).
  • *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
    Message 9 of 14
    Tutor

Well, I kind of thought that the app on my phone might not really be charging me for the Data, But when I also saw the same exact data usage show up on my bill, I didn't know what to think really.
    Message 10 of 14
    Tutor

That is correct. The data usage showed up on my phone first, and I checked it on my bill and it was also showing up there within 15 minutes or so.
    Message 11 of 14
    ACE - Expert

We are missing an answer.  ARE YOU A GOPHONE CUSTOMER?

Message 12 of 14
    Tutor

No, I'm not a gophone customer. I'm on a family plan.
    Message 13 of 14
    ACE - Expert

Thanks, had to make sure.  The last thing we want to do is give bogus information.

Message 14 of 14
    Share this topic
    Announcements

iPhone 8 and 8 Plus is Here! Learn What’s New and How to Order

The Apple Watch Series 3 is Here! Learn how to have the freedom to go with just your watch!

The iPhone X (10) is on it's way!

Additional Support