Need your talk or text logs?
jcollins's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Thursday, December 15th, 2016 8:12 PM

Data is being used while streaming Directv on I-Phone

Hello,

I decided to try streaming Directv yesterday for about an hour just to see how it went.  When I checked my data, it showing that I had used almost a half gigabite of data.  I tried again this morning to test it.  I reset my cellular data to zero, closed out every open window and streamed directv for about 20 minutes.  I checked my cellular data and it had used 300 MB.  I called AT&T to make sure that it should use no data and they confirmed that it wouldn't, but could not answer the question about why my data was being used so quickly.

I tried the experiment one last time and my cellular specifically said under the directv app that it had used another 112 MB.    It doesn't appear that I am getting the directv streaming that was promised, so I will have to stop using it.

Do you suppose that it will just add the data back on at billing time when it recognizes that the data was used by directv?

Or is there some extra step that AT&T didn't know about?  I am streaming from the directv app. 

Thanks in advance!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Where are you checking your cellular data usage, on the phone? If so, the phone knows nothing about the free data, it will continue to count it along with any other data. You need to look at your usage on your account. You should see "sponsored data". That is the Directv data and does not count against your plan.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

That's right

what you see on the device it not how you are billed.  

IMG_5117.JPGIMG_5119.JPG

2 Attachments

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@jcollins wrote:

Hello,

I decided to try streaming Directv yesterday for about an hour just to see how it went.  When I checked my data, it showing that I had used almost a half gigabite of data.  I tried again this morning to test it.  I reset my cellular data to zero, closed out every open window and streamed directv for about 20 minutes.  I checked my cellular data and it had used 300 MB. 

Your phone app is using data, if it wasn't you wouldn't be able to see the video, but when you check AT&T they break it out of the data your're being charged for. 

If yuo have a VPN on (or someother weird "thing"), it won't be free data.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Yeah, no vpn. Thanks for the reply though.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

That is good to know. I also checked my online bill and the data usage is adding up from using DIRECTV. I guess I will know for sure at the end of the month LOL. Thanks so much for your reply!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Yes I check the phone app and online under my data usage on the bill. Each time I tried DirecTV, it added up in both places. That's why I was so confused if I am being charged for the Data. Thanks for the reply!

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@jcollins

You are an ATT wireless customer, using the app on your mobile, correct?   You shouldn't have to wait very long before seeing the "sponsored data" on your usage report. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@jcollins wrote:
Yes I check the phone app and online under my data usage on the bill. Each time I tried DirecTV, it added up in both places. That's why I was so confused if I am being charged for the Data. Thanks for the reply!

Confused if when you see it on-line you see it seperate (as @lizdance40 showed above) or if you're saying it's combined.

Are you on an AT&T postpaid account or GoPhone?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Well, I kind of thought that the app on my phone might not really be charging me for the Data, But when I also saw the same exact data usage show up on my bill, I didn't know what to think really.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

That is correct. The data usage showed up on my phone first, and I checked it on my bill and it was also showing up there within 15 minutes or so.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.