Need your talk or text logs?
Floridasassy's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, February 14th, 2017 8:14 PM

Data being eaten up too quickly

We have 2 phones on 3gb data plan and in the past we never used it in 1 month. Suddenly the past 3 months we use it up in the 1st week! Why would this be happening? We got New phones 2 months ago. We have WiFi at home. Nothing has really changed.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

7 years ago

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

@curiouscat  Oh, that old thing?   LOL.  But yes, it has some helpful tips to diagnose what is using the data.  

@Floridasassy

If the data totals on your phone exceed your allowance, then something is wrong on your end.  

If your phone does not come pretty close to agreeing with ATT totalsby the end of the month, then there is a problem on ATT end.

Please dig through the phones data usage and we will suggest what to do next.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Floridasassy Your phones should tell you exactly which apps eat the most amount of data. 

What kind of phones do you have?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

LG G vista 2. Just got for Christmas. Problem I am finding is my Wi-Fi seems to drop in certain rooms in home with this phone. And my main concern of using up the data is that then ATT drops is to a 2g speed. I was told by 3 reps that this wouldn't affect anything except if I stream movies or gaming. We don't do either.
What we noticed was text pix, emails, some websites, even the ATT app open or function really slow. Wasn't like this 3-4 months prior.
My most used apps show as Facebook, Google photos, play store. Sure I downloaded apps with new phone but all while in my house. Should have been via Wi-Fi. Its almost as if our data is being used while Wi-Fi is on.
Thx for responding.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

@Floridasassy

Are both phones using more than usual?  If so, it might be your router is failing.  If it's onlynone phone, then it might be a faulty phone.    If it won't hold a wifi connection, it will keep using your data.

First try resetting your network settings, then add your wifi back again.  

You are still under warranty, so if it's one faulty phone, contact ATT about a replacement. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Floridasassy wrote:
Problem I am finding is my Wi-Fi seems to drop in certain rooms in home with this phone.

Maybe you need a newer/different wireless router? 

My most used apps show as Facebook, Google photos, play store. Sure I downloaded apps with new phone but all while in my house. Should have been via Wi-Fi. Its almost as if our data is being used while Wi-Fi is on.

But how much data are they using???

Facebook uses a lot more when watching videos/etc. What numbers does Facebook say it uses?

Is your phone settings set to download apps over cellular? (I can turn that off on my iPhone).

You can possibly set google photos to only sync on wifi.

Do you have WiFi Assist on? How much data does it say it uses?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Reset network settings on my phone you mean (sorry in advance lol)? Was thinking of getting a tech out to refigure Wi-Fi too.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

Yes, it's a good start.  You can also turn cell data off while at home.  This may be enlightening all by itself if your phone won't connect to internet without it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.