For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
JohnnyDoe's profile

Guru

• 

691 Messages

Wednesday, November 30th, 2016 4:44 PM

Data Limit(s) Reached - Unlimited Data or Mobile Share Advantage Plans

Just curious - how much (if any) does AT&T slow your connection down if you reach your data limits on the Unlimited Data Plan (after 22 GB usage) or any of the Mobile Share Advantage Plans. I know they have it specified in writing, but just wanting user experience / feedback on how much your data connection is really slowed down. Can you browse the internet much at all? Open emails? Use any music/video streaming service?

Guru

• 

691 Messages

7 years ago

Daniel -

Thanks for the quick reply. I knew the DirectTV Now didn't make one eligeable for the Unlimited Plan but just wasn't sure if sometime in the future this would change. 

I appreciate the feedback and good information.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

7 years ago

@JohnnyDoe, If they ever do, it would probably be a limited time promotion (30 days or so) to get people to sign up and stay signed up. In other words, if you drop it, you won't be able to get it back, just like other grandfathered plans. This will keep customers from constantly dropping and resubscribing.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

@JohnnyDoe  As it is explained to me, neither the unlimited data plan or DirecTV Now are high profit services.  Generally the idea is to pair a higher profit item with a new service as a promotion.  

I think @Busternutt is on the right track, at some point it might be offered as a limited time promotion.

This is 17 days into the DirecTV Now service and it is finally running well for me.  I've had minor glitches, like the dreaded error 60, to many streams running, when I had none running.  I think the service will need to be less buggy before it can be offered as a promotion.

On that Note.....Did you see the news?  T-mobile is offering new customer who switch to them a full year of DirecTV Now service.   That guy really knows how to sell dung to camel drivers doesn't he?  Turn poo into gold.  Sows ear to silk purse...  you get the idea.  

Guru

• 

691 Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 - you are definitely right, I pretty much figured there wasn't a lot of profit from the unlimited plan standing alone which totally makes sense they make you pair it with the DirecTV service (revenue/profit streams are definitely higher from this). 

I've been curious on the DirecTV Now service and will try it soon; just figured I would let them get all the bugs worked out of it first. The $35 promo package pretty much includes every channel I care about and the $5 HBO add on is as cheap as you will find anywhere. 

@lizdance40 you mention the steams are getting better? How is it running during peak times (i.e 5-8 PM) and weekends?

I did see that T-Mobile offered that promotion! What a joke! They are very good about twisting words and having lose advertising terms to attract customers (will admit, they seem to be doing a good job with their subscriber addition numbers)... but I honestly have yet to have any friends that are happy with their service and they live in all different cities across the country. I believe they are offering a 'bill credit' for up to 1-year to cover the DirecTV Now charge if I saw the ad right.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

@JohnnyDoe  

The scoop...

I have cox internet 100 Mbps speed and using an AirPort Extreme router.  I have been casting to my original Chromecast device, from an old android phone.  Works VERY well.  Unlike reported problems with the apps on devices.

I do not have a current Apple TV and wanted a Fire TV, the stick arrived and wouldn't connect to wifi.  Waiting on a replacement.  

The streaming problems have been between 6 pm EST and 10 pm. With occasional problems at all other times.  Both outages were during these times.

The "no activity for 4 hours. .....".  warning is annoying

If you want to lock in the price, screw the fire stick and Apple TV for this purpose and get a Chromecast.  As long as you have an android device your good to go for $35.  

Love the sponsored data.  I have a big plan, but it's nice to use 4-6 gigs and not sweat at all.

RSN are a problem.  Don't get this for sports.

Networks are a joke.  I get NBC only, but you can use the ABC app and sign in with Direct

navigation is NOT intuitive within the app on android or iPad.  

72 hour rewind is spotty

No DVR

Dont expect CBS ever.  Stingy guys!

I recommend the 7 day free trial alone, unless you can cope with being a guinea pig.  

Guru

• 

691 Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 -- Great information!! THANK YOU!! Currently have Comcast 75 Mbps that even during peak hours seems to maintain it's speed close to their advertised numbers. Currently have a Chromecast (don't have apple tv or fire tv) and will probably give the 7-day trial a go to test it out in my neck of the woods.

As far as local channels go - I could honestly care less if they picked up or not since I never watch local news and hate our local sports teams. I already subscribe to MLB.tv and NHL.tv separately so I'm pretty much good in regards to sports. 

It's good to learn a little about the 72-hour rewind and I knew that the DVR service wouldn't be out until sometime next year.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

@JohnnyDoe  I should have added I kept basic cable, like 15 channels.    That gets me network sign in access with most network app, but CBS, who is too good for us I guess.  

Guru

• 

691 Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 Lol, CBS has become the stingy one as of late especially with the DirecTV Now deal. Just signed up for the 7-day trail and it appears to be running pretty good (few hiccups with the peak hours last night) but for the most part has been pretty consistent. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

@JohnnyDoe   Glad it's running well.  Cox as willing to lower my bill $30, so for $5 more I may keep the service.  Jury still out.

I predict CBS will only be added if we pay an extra $5 a month for it.  

Who do they think they are?   HBO?

Guru

• 

691 Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 I have the DirecTV / AT&T unlimited data so it would be somewhat hard for me to fully cut the chord - but I'm not saying I woldn't ever. Don't watch nearly enough TV to really have all the channels and DirecTV Now has pretty much every channel I could imagine watching so who knows. If the service keeps getting better I might keep it just as a hope for what the future holds.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.