Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Data Cap Only Option Requested

Highlighted
Contributor

Data Cap Only Option Requested

Is there any way ATT can provide your customers with the option to allot data caps to each person on their plans without having to pay all the bells and whistles that come with ATT Smart Limits?  Most of us do not want or need all those other options at such a high price point.  I think you would serve your customers well by simply allowing us to allot data caps per person on the plan where data is automatically switched off once that cap is met to prevent customers from incurring automatic data overages; which are outrageously priced.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert

Re: Data Cap Only Option Requested

If data caps are all you want smart limits does nothing for you.  You can turn off data on any line for free in the My ATT app, I see no reason to pay for it.  

You can check data on all lines quick and easy from your ATT contacts list.  Look in contacts, find  *3282#.  Dial and it sends back a text with current data totals on each line (last 4 numbers).  

If needed, you can login to your My ATT app and shut off someone’s data.  

My sons were taught how to monitor their data on their phones years ago, which is the most accurate data count.  If either of them becomes a problem now, they are old enough for me to kick them out to their own prepaid plan.   They only chip in about $35 each now, my plan is cheap.  Prepaid would cost them $45 or more and they know it.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are customers too, NOT employees. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6
Contributor

As I stated in my post I'm quite aware of what Smart Limits is and that's something that I neither want or need.  I'm also quite aware of the option to manually turn off data.  The problem with that is that it requires constant monitoring and ATT won't notify you of potential data overages until you reach 75% capacity.  This does not work in my case as I have several users on my plan and a select few that over-utilize.  It's not feasible or even appealing to constantly monitor data usage.  Plus even ATT says data isn't turned off immediately as this requires rebooting your phone.  I have users that don't live in my house and to constantly turn data off/on or contact them to reboot their phones every month (which is something I would have to do EVERY month) is tedious at best when ATT could provide a simple fix by allowing customers to set data allotments only, so one could sleep soundly knowing there will never be data overages without all this constant monitoring.

Message 3 of 6
ACE - Expert

@tdeanlock

tdeanlock wrote:

As I stated in my post I'm quite aware of what Smart Limits is and that's something that I neither want or need.

And they charge for it, which is why I don’t recommend it.

I'm also quite aware of the option to manually turn off data.  GOOD!

The problem with that is that it requires constant monitoring and ATT won't notify you of potential data overages until you reach 75% capacity.  This does not work in my case as I have several users on my plan and a select few that over-utilize. 

Which is why you need to shift the monitoring to the user.   I promise you, you shut them off half way through the month once or twice because they reached a cap you set, they won’t do it again.  Worked on teenagers.  

You will have to show them how to monitor.  Android phones actually have a niot in warning and cap feature in settings.  iPhone will need an app added ‘my data manager’ works well on my iPad.

It's not feasible or even appealing to constantly monitor data usage.  Plus even ATT says data isn't turned off immediately as this requires rebooting your phone. 

That’s not true.  Tried it myself. Data is turned off without rebooting a device.  It may take an hour or two though.

I have users that don't live in my house and to constantly turn data off/on or contact them to reboot their phones every month (which is something I would have to do EVERY month) is tedious at best when ATT could provide a simple fix by allowing customers to set data allotments only, so one could sleep soundly knowing there will never be data overages without all this constant monitoring.

Another option my kids had, was paying for their portion of data.  Son number 2 was using more than 25% of our data plan and was being charged accordingly.  Both were warned if they exceeded their allotment and it put us over, they would pay the $15, $30, etc over charges.   Needless to say, they had their phones set (by themselves) to warn and turn off data so it did not happen.  

ATT doesn’t seem to think this feature is important enough to add back.   With the new plans having no overage charges and the unlimited plan being so affordable, ATT has no reason or incentive to add a feature that most customers do not need anymore.   It was included until 2013 or 2014 I think.   It’s been asked for a couple times since, and all it gets is a polite “thank you for asking for a useful feature” response from ATT, and a link to the new plans with no overages (that cost more).  Pigs will fly sooner.    Please at least consider my suggestion and discuss options with the others on the plan.  

My sons know their option is monitor, control, or get booted to prepaid.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are customers too, NOT employees. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6
ACE - Expert

tdeanlock wrote:

As I stated in my post I'm quite aware of what Smart Limits is and that's something that I neither want or need.  I'm also quite aware of the option to manually turn off data.  The problem with that is that it requires constant monitoring and ATT won't notify you of potential data overages until you reach 75% capacity.  This does not work in my case as I have several users on my plan and a select few that over-utilize.  It's not feasible or even appealing to constantly monitor data usage.  Plus even ATT says data isn't turned off immediately as this requires rebooting your phone.  I have users that don't live in my house and to constantly turn data off/on or contact them to reboot their phones every month (which is something I would have to do EVERY month) is tedious at best when ATT could provide a simple fix by allowing customers to set data allotments only, so one could sleep soundly knowing there will never be data overages without all this constant monitoring.

Your on a legacy plan ATT is not going to add features to it...  That is the reason they created those mobile share advantage plans with no overages.  Or there is unlimited data...  It was actually cheaper for me to switch to unlimited data than stay with my mobile share 30gb plan.  The thing I see is people trying to save money by going with the lowest data plan possible then stressing about it...  In todays data intensive environment data dont last as long.  All these hi res screens are making people use more and more data....  iPhone x is a good example. 

Message 5 of 6
ACE - Expert

Indeed.  Spend $750 to $1,000 on a phone, then no data to run it.  Reminds me of a recent customer who posted about the lack of the quick settings to toggle off data on her Note 8. 

Its like buying a sports car, then not putting any gas in it so you can drive it.  

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Learn how to avoid overages. View Data Usage Help!
Additional Support