For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
Kevincmichaels's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, November 12th, 2016 10:19 PM

DATA

My plan "claims" it has rollover data. But, it's really a false claim on AT&T's part, and besides unfair, because the data that rolls over is used LAST after I've used my data for the month, and then any of that data DOES NOT rollover again. So, what's up AT&T?? Why not make it better for the consumer??

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Kevincmichaels wrote:
My plan "claims" it has rollover data. But, it's really a false claim on AT&T's part, and besides unfair, because the data that rolls over is used LAST after I've used my data for the month, and then any of that data DOES NOT rollover again. So, what's up AT&T?? Why not make it better for the consumer??

It's exactly what they state it is. It has rollover for one month. 

Before they had it for one month of rollover, we had nothing. So it is better for the consumer than it was before that.

Could it be different? Sure, but it's not. It helps out if you occasionally need it. It just can't help out 2 months in a row...

If you constantly need to access your rollover, you possibly (probably) need a bigger plan.

This is the AT&T community forum (not AT&T support).

Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

7 years ago

They don't try to hide this fact.

The website about the feature (att.com/rolloverdata) even mentions it in the text in the banner image: "Rollover Data for Mobile Share AdvantageSM expires after 1 mo. or with any plan change & is used after monthly plan data. Add’l restr. apply.".

If yo call in and ask to change plans, the rep will tell you about it. At least they should, the billing system prompts them about it.

The website tells you about it.

So, no false claims and no "unfair" practices.

Rollover Data is to protect you from an overage in the event that on an unusual month you use more data than you typically do. You're still expected to have a plan that covers your regular monthly usage.

You can also switch to a new Mobile Share Advantage plan which, depending on your situation, may be cheaper and has no overages. Your data is just slowed after you've reached your allotment.

You can read about Mobile Share Advantage plans at att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html.

• 

25.7K Messages

7 years ago

I don't think I've ever heard of any roll over service of any kind using the roll over first, yet I hear many people complaining about it.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

7 years ago

Guess you have now. Think of it as a personal rainy day fund. You pay your bills as you normally would. But if you have a bad month, then you have something to dip into to tide you over until the next month.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@rightofpassage wrote:
I don't think I've ever heard of any roll over service of any kind using the roll over first, yet I hear many people complaining about it.

Maybe because ATT's the only carrier with rollover data? Remember rollover minutes, they didn't get used first either but I don't recall anyone complaining about that. Maybe because they didn't expire each month. They also never got used. 

• 

25.7K Messages

7 years ago

@sandblaster that what I was alluding to. Roll over minutes got used last as well, yet people get upset the data is used last. Why they expect it to be used first is beyond me.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

You should see  the whining over on Verizon.  They called it "Carry over" to try and avoid being lumped in with other carriers long term rollover offers.  

It didn't work.   

Customers didn't catch on to the term and have the same complaint.   In Verizon's case, the only way to get the feature is to move to the newest plan, whereas ATT added it to the MSV plan over a year after the plan was already in full swing.  So they have the additional complaint that they were lured into the new plan on false pretense.   

The offer is very clearly explained in writing  by ATT and Verizon.  But nobody reads anymore.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Anonymous wrote:

@sandblaster that what I was alluding to. Roll over minutes got used last as well, yet people get upset the data is used last. Why they expect it to be used first is beyond me.

I think since the roll over minutes lasted 12 months it didn't really matter as much which got used first. I think it was perceived a bit differently (and I'd think more people had a little more in the "back").

The HUGE difference was if you touch rollover data, you don't have any the next month; if you touch rollover minutes you could still have a lot left.

If I had a 700 minute plan and 4000 rollover minutes (4000-5000  was pretty normal for our plan) and I only used 400 minutes then 300 when into rollover but I probably had 300-400 expire from 12 months before expire; it didn't really matter if those 400 minutes that I used were rollover or from the plan.

Even if I spoke 1200 minutes, 3 times our normal, it would barely ding our rollover. I couldn't even tell you if the 500 of rollover that was used was 12 month rollover or 1 month old rollover (which got used first).  With that bill I could have told you, but it didn't really matter in the long run for us. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.