For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
javid618's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, July 27th, 2012 6:52 AM

Will I use data when on wifi?

I need help, I am confused.  Att says that you use the smartphone at a wifi location you wont be charged data usage, here are my questions

1. can it be any wifi or does it have to be ATT provided wifi, I have charter wifi 

2. Are they saying i can use my phone for posting facebook status, watching youtube, surfing the web, and it not use any of my data plan IF connect to wifi?

3.  Do smartphones find wifi (let says you are traveling)

One thing i want to use it for is like mapquest, If i am lost i want to be able to look up directions (lets say I am in a wifi area) will this work.  ALSO, if I am NOT in a wifi area i can still look up directions but it will us data usage right?

Please break this down for me, you wont offend me if you "spell" it all out for me

ALSO, what is the difference really between other smartphones and iphone... Just wondering, i am looking to purchase one.  I am disabled and thought this would be a good thing to have.  thanks

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

I have 5 devices on a 20 gig plan and we didnt even hit 10 gigs, and I never turn data off.  I do turn wifi off of occasion   

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I NEVER had this problem with Verizon. I am sooo upset I wish I never went BACK with ATT. I had my very first phone with "Cingular" now ATT and LOVED their customer support BUT I truly have to say I am soooo disappointed with ATT and all that they represent. Their Customer service are RUDE at many times and service is NOTHING like it was back in the early 1990's. I had my first cell phone, Panasonic EBH 440, from ATT and loved the quality and power of service. Today with allll the money they , ATT, you would think cell coverage would be impeccable ..NOT!!! Buy more towers!!!! You have the money ! I can't wait to pay off my iPhone 7 and get away from ATT. I am so sad and disappointed and dissatisfied with ATT .

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Hi! This is actually a question not a reply but I have unlimited data per month so should I use WiFi or cellular data options? thanks 🙂

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@lampsa22 wrote:

Hi! This is actually a question not a reply but I have unlimited data per month so should I use WiFi or cellular data options? thanks 🙂

@lampsa22

That would depend on many variables.  How good is your mobile data? How good is your home Wi-Fi? Do you have a cap on your Wi-Fi?   Are you going to hit 22 GB and be reprioritized  to a very slow speed ?  

Most people have a very high On their home Internet, and it’s faster than mobile data. In that case I would use home Wi-Fi even if I do have unlimited mobile data. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

I sent you a dm... :)thanks so much for your help lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@lampsa22  Anytime.  Welcome to the community. 🙋🏼‍♀️

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Your response was hilarious LOL ! 😉😂 i’m sure I’ll have tougher questions in the future! I’m not too tech savvy but thanks again for answering my question! 🤩🤩....and for welcoming me to  the Community! 🙋‍♀️🙌🏼😁

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Your response was hilarious LOL ! 😉😂 i’m sure I’ll have tougher questions in the future! I’m not too tech savvy but thanks again for answering my question! 🤩🤩...and for  welcoming me to the community ! 😁🙋‍♀️🙌🏼

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

yeah, i'm really confused at A LOT of the billing practices of this  company.  I glanced at my data usage the other day and noticed  i'm getting charged for mobile usage at 3 am and 6 am when i'm fast asleep! i think this companies practices seriously needs to be looked into!

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@lucyindisguise wrote:

i'm getting charged for mobile usage at 3 am and 6 am when i'm fast asleep! i think this companies practices seriously needs to be looked into!

No, you're not. AT&T reports data up to 72 hours later. And old data is generally reported at 3/6/9/12 o'clocks.

Look on the desktop web site and it says it right there with the data reports (I don't know where/if it does on mobile devices).

Think of it like a bank check clearing, you not going to say, "My bank took money out of my account on Monday and I didn't write any checks that day!" are you?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.