Need your talk or text logs?
Unknown_Issue's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Tuesday, July 18th, 2017 3:57 AM

Comparing New Unlimited Data Plus To Grandfathered Unlimited Data

Quick question for those of you who have actually switched from the grandfathered unlimited data plan to the new unlimited plus. Were there any changes that you weren't informed about? I am faced with this choice but feel like I am consistently getting conflicting information from everyone who I have spoken to at AT&T. Anything that you may have overlooked or thought about when considering the change?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Unknown_Issue I've been reading these forums here and other places since before this new plan started. I haven't seen any reason to not switch beforehand nor afterwards.

In all likelihood they'll keep raising the price of that old plan, so eventually you'll take the plunge.

The new plan has WAY more features and flexibility: Canada/Mexico unlimited, tethering/hotspot to the phone, you can add physical hotspots, after the first two lines additional lines are only $20(!), free HBO.

Unless you are getting some huge discount on the old plan (this plan has no discounts other than Military/Veteran), it's a better plan.

It's a no-brainer IMHO...

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

What conflicting information are you getting? What are you hesitant about?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I guess overall it is an unease since AT&T spent so much time trying to get rid of the unlimited plans and now they are back to offering them with even more benefits. Some of the things were I noticed inconsistencies in information were the discounts offered and soft caps (FAN and 22GB, etc.)  I'm just worried about a bait and switch and for some reason feel a little safer with the grandfathered plan. 

I'm likely being silly but here are some of the benefits that I currently have -

Current plan -

900 Nation with rollover

Free Mobile To Mobile Minutes

Free Nights And Weekends

Unlimited Text

Unlimited Data (Soft Cap 22GB)

FAN Discount of 24%

Monthly Fee is just under $107 after discounts and taxes

Thanks for the help 🙂

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

7 years ago

There are no FAN discounts with the new unlimited plans. Only military discounts are allowed.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@Unknown_Issue wrote:

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I guess overall it is an unease since AT&T spent so much time trying to get rid of the unlimited plans and now they are back to offering them with even more benefits. Some of the things were I noticed inconsistencies in information were the discounts offered and soft caps (FAN and 22GB, etc.)  I'm just worried about a bait and switch and for some reason feel a little safer with the grandfathered plan. 

I'm likely being silly but here are some of the benefits that I currently have -

Current plan -

900 Nation with rollover

Free Mobile To Mobile Minutes

Free Nights And Weekends

Unlimited Text

Unlimited Data (Soft Cap 22GB)

FAN Discount of 24%

Thanks for the help 🙂

@Unknown_Issue There is no bait and switch. The data works the same as your current plan. As pointed out above, you won't get your 24% FAN discount but you will still pay less than you are now on the new plan. A single line is $90 which I'm sure will come out to less than $107 after taxes. In addition to unlimited talk, text and data, you also get roaming in Canada and Mexico and free HBO.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Unknown_Issue wrote:

I guess overall it is an unease since AT&T spent so much time trying to get rid of the unlimited plans 

I'm not sure that they spent so much time. They canceled them 7 years ago. That only took a second to do! No time at all!

Any restrictions the new one might have they could add to the old one (just like adding $5 increases). There isn't anything stopping them.

They brought back unlimited over a year ago (2?) but you needed DirecTV to get it...

You're going to save money and have more benefits and if you can get a friend or two to share the plan, you'll save even more...

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Well, I am a veteran so it looks like I will be eligible for that discount although I lose the FAN discount. I appreciate the help. What actually happens with the tethering if you actually hit the 10gb threshold? Do they charge for more or throttle in that case as well? Also, with stream saver can that be permanently disabled?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Unknown_Issue Another %15 percent off! Awesome!  Thank you for your service.

See you haven't even switched yet and you've used up 10GB of tethering already! 😉

The tethering is supposed to just slow down SIGNIFICANTLY.  (I hear it doesn't yet).

Please read everything on http://att.com/unlimited

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Alright guys....I appreciate all the help and the responses!!! I'll make my decision tonight. You all have been very helpful.

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

7 years ago

@Unknown_Issue  I switched from the old unlimited plan after the last price increase. Since I have Directv and HBO my new unlimited plan was cheaper that the 3GB plan with my military discount. Have not notice any service degradation of service since switching. 

Noticed that quite a few individuals complain about losing their discount, but the notice of only military/vertran only discount is plainly mentioned on the web site. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.