Need your talk or text logs?
spooksfl's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, September 9th, 2016 2:32 PM

Charged International Fees for Text Messages - Never Left Airplane Mode

I recently got my bill with charges for text messages/mms sent from my iphone during dates I was in the Bahamas. My phone never left airplane mode-- I know this because I did not have any roaming/data fees. Just texts. And just texts to those that don't have iphones, since my bill broke it down to each number. But it wa 50 cents per text. HOW was my phone able to even send texts if I was in airplane mode and it wasn't iMessage? Trying to figure this out for now AND future travel. Thought I was safe in airplane mode! Guess not

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

How could you send text (SMS) and still be in airplane mode?  

iMessage can be sent via wifi to other iPhones if wifi is available.  SMS cannot, and would have been sent as SMS, therefore you were billed for SMS while roaming. 

All phones have data roaming off by default, which may be why you didn't get billed for data roaming.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I agree, I was surprised that so many non-iPhone texts went through, but I wasn't roaming. I also didn't get crazy roaming charges.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

As you note there is no way your sms text would be sent if you were in airplane mode, hence you were not in airplane mode. You probably have data roaming off. That explains why you had no other roaming charges.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.