For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
Nsdq160th10's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Sunday, September 21st, 2014 5:25 AM

Capping and stopping data usage once I reach my limit of 1gb without extending my data cap.

Is there an option from at&t that would stop mobile data usage once 1gb is reach on any of my phones? I want it to automatically stop my mobile data usage once the cap is reached. I don't want to have to pay for this capping service such as using smart limits; isn't that for monitoring kids?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

10 years ago

Please visit Ways to Manage Your Wireless Usage for complete information about managing the data on your device.

Hope this helps!

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

10 years ago

No way currently for automatic stops but you can monitor usage on the lines and add a block manually.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

How do I block it manually?

Sent from my iPad

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

What is smart limits? Would that cap data once data limit is reach? Is that for monitoring kids? Don't you have to pay for that service?

How would I stop data on my phone without going to airplane mode?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

If your phones are android, you can go to the data usage settings to set limits.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

You're told it's not possible but that's, of course, a complete and total lie. 

Of course it's possitble, ATT won't do it because they would lose a ton of cash in the form of overages.

Frankly, it's fraud: it's impossible for you to use the minutes you've paid for - either you go over and pay for more you can't use, or you leave yourself short. Either way, ATT wins.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

I agree. There should be a way to cap your data once the 1GB is reach
amongst all shared devices.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

I'm not concerned with voice or text as that's unlimited.  But it says once I'm "close or over" the 1GB, there is a $20 of data overage adding 500 MB which I won't need. So before I even reach 1GB, it's given me a warning for I'm at 90% so I decided to just block out my mobile data for now.  It doesn't make sense because I still have 10% left but afraid I may go over..

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

10 years ago

@MadBunny wrote:

You're told it's not possible but that's, of course, a complete and total lie. 

Of course it's possitble, ATT won't do it because they would lose a ton of cash in the form of overages.

Frankly, it's fraud: it's impossible for you to use the minutes you've paid for - either you go over and pay for more you can't use, or you leave yourself short. Either way, ATT wins.

it's not a lie, there is currently no system/process in use that will stop your data automatically once it hits a certain amount. 

You can however turn the data off on your device when not using it or getting close to your "limit"

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

10 years ago

I would guess that this is why many people are reluctant to give up their grandfathered unlimited plans. The "unlimited" plans aren't really unlimited anyway - they just don't have the risk of overages.

AT&T should give the option of blocking overages instead of using underhanded and unfair tactics to try to take away our plans.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.