For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
wekebu's profile

Scholar

• 

159 Messages

Monday, December 22nd, 2008 4:48 PM

Cancel Data using WiFi

This is going to be an easy question for most of you, but I need to understand this completely.  I currently have the Internet/MEdia Net Unlimited plan.  I'm going to cancel it soon because it's simply too slow and frustrating.  Then I'll use my local WiFi.  I'm reading posts from people who want to temporarily disconnect from their data plan and use their local WiFi, but the phone keeps manually reverting to the data.  I've had this happen too.  Is this a concern only for people who have the limited plan?  In other words, once I cancel the data plan, will my phone still seek a data connection, if my local WiFi is weak?  I don't want to be charged for data.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

15 years ago

Thanks again.  I guess unless I'm sitting on a top of a hot spot or at home next to my router, I may be OK, but it will be Airport Mode elsewhere.

RAR

Scholar

• 

159 Messages

15 years ago

I ended up watching my phone too often to verify that it was using my WiFi and not AT&T's data.  I called AT&T and had the data cancelled, they guarantted that the phone wouldn't use data.  If I ever want it back, even for just a day, it's only a phone call to get it re-activated. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

14 years ago

friend was told recently that att has stopped allowing you to disable data plans for "Smart Phones".... even if you want it disabled....

I think this would suxors majorly !!

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

14 years ago

@sammydad1 wrote:

friend was told recently that att has stopped allowing you to disable data plans for "Smart Phones".... even if you want it disabled....

I think this would suxors majorly !!

Unfortunately I believe that is true.  You may still be able to get a data block placed on a smartphone that was activated prior to September 6th, 2009 - but if you ever remove the data block you will not be able to re-instate it 😞 (which imho is a significant change to the terms of service for a smartphone that was purchased prior to the implementation of the mandatory data plan policy and should qualify the user for termination of service without incurring the ETF).

For an at&t designated smartphone purchased after September 6th, you cannot obtain a data block.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.