Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 22, 2008
8:48:05 AM
View profile
Cancel Data using WiFi

This is going to be an easy question for most of you, but I need to understand this completely.  I currently have the Internet/MEdia Net Unlimited plan.  I'm going to cancel it soon because it's simply too slow and frustrating.  Then I'll use my local WiFi.  I'm reading posts from people who want to temporarily disconnect from their data plan and use their local WiFi, but the phone keeps manually reverting to the data.  I've had this happen too.  Is this a concern only for people who have the limited plan?  In other words, once I cancel the data plan, will my phone still seek a data connection, if my local WiFi is weak?  I don't want to be charged for data.

This is going to be an easy question for most of you, but I need to understand this completely.  I currently have the Internet/MEdia Net Unlimited plan.  I'm going to cancel it soon because it's simply too slow and frustrating.  Then I'll use my local WiFi.  I'm reading posts from people who want to temporarily disconnect from their data plan and use their local WiFi, but the phone keeps manually reverting to the data.  I've had this happen too.  Is this a concern only for people who have the limited plan?  In other words, once I cancel the data plan, will my phone still seek a data connection, if my local WiFi is weak?  I don't want to be charged for data.

posted from my Captivate.
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 22, 2008 1:30:32 PM
(0)
Master

Have you tried flight mode?

Have you tried Modaco Nodata (free, just google it).

Yes, you can create a dummy profile, but really only helps if you're accidentally hitting the internet button and connecting inadvertently to the internet.

Create a dummy profile and make the dummy profile your default.

Don't delete the original as that might mess up your MMS settings. You need to keep it to make sure you get MMS.

Not sure how the phone handles dummy profiles when you're on weak WiFi. But that's a good idea. You could try it out.

Just keep an eye out on your screen. If the WiFi symbol gets replaced by E or 3G, then you know that your phone went to cellular data.

Posted from my Samsung Captivate
Accepted Solution

Cancel Data using WiFi

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2008 9:08:12 AM
(0)
Master

wekebu wrote:

Yes, your phone will connect to data if your WiFi is weak.

Try putting your phone in FLIGHT mode before using WiFi. Your data connection should stay off.

However, Flight mode turns off the cell radio as well as cellular data, so you won't be able to receive phone calls (will go directly to VM) when you're in Flight mode.

For my Tilt I use Modaco NoData to turn off data, but leave cell radio on.

Not sure if Modaco NoData works on Fuze...hopefully, someone else can chime in on that.

wekebu wrote:

Yes, your phone will connect to data if your WiFi is weak.

Try putting your phone in FLIGHT mode before using WiFi. Your data connection should stay off.

However, Flight mode turns off the cell radio as well as cellular data, so you won't be able to receive phone calls (will go directly to VM) when you're in Flight mode.

For my Tilt I use Modaco NoData to turn off data, but leave cell radio on.

Not sure if Modaco NoData works on Fuze...hopefully, someone else can chime in on that.

Re: Cancel Data using WiFi

2 of 15 (12,107 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2008 11:39:48 AM
(0)
Scholar

This really concerns me.  This seems unbelieveable to me that I can call AT&T, tell them that I do not a product and

I can still be charged for it!  What a company model.  Can you imagine ANY other company getting away with that?  

Can I put in incorrect info in my MEdia Net User name/password?   

This really concerns me.  This seems unbelieveable to me that I can call AT&T, tell them that I do not a product and

I can still be charged for it!  What a company model.  Can you imagine ANY other company getting away with that?  

Can I put in incorrect info in my MEdia Net User name/password?   

3 of 15 (12,094 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 22, 2008 1:30:32 PM
(0)
Master

Yes, you can create a dummy profile, but really only helps if you're accidentally hitting the internet button and connecting inadvertently to the internet.

Don't delete the original as that might mess up your MMS settings. You need to keep it to make sure you get MMS.

Not sure how the phone handles dummy profiles when you're on weak WiFi. But that's a good idea. You could try it out.

Just keep an eye out on your screen. If the WiFi symbol gets replaced by E or 3G, then you know that your phone went to cellular data.

4 of 15 (12,080 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2008 5:03:00 PM
(0)
Scholar

I did try Flight mode, but I'd like an alternative that allows me the use of my phone.  I didn't try NoData because I've read another post where a user was in Houston, which has HSPDA, and the phone would revert to that network, overriding NoData's settings.  Houston is where I'm heading in a few weeks. 

What if I hadn't read this forum?  I simply did what most people would have done.  Called AT&T, cancelled the data plan only to find I got charged for data at the 'limited' pricing scale?  This is silly to have such model.  Can you imagine going to a mechanic, getting a quote, then they turn around an do extra repairs and you HAVE to pay for unauthorized service?  I'm new to data on a phone, but this is unreal the hoops one has to go through to stop a company from sneaking charges on me.

I did try Flight mode, but I'd like an alternative that allows me the use of my phone.  I didn't try NoData because I've read another post where a user was in Houston, which has HSPDA, and the phone would revert to that network, overriding NoData's settings.  Houston is where I'm heading in a few weeks. 

What if I hadn't read this forum?  I simply did what most people would have done.  Called AT&T, cancelled the data plan only to find I got charged for data at the 'limited' pricing scale?  This is silly to have such model.  Can you imagine going to a mechanic, getting a quote, then they turn around an do extra repairs and you HAVE to pay for unauthorized service?  I'm new to data on a phone, but this is unreal the hoops one has to go through to stop a company from sneaking charges on me.

5 of 15 (12,063 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2008 11:43:46 AM
(0)
Master

I have 3 HTC phones and none of them have overidden the NODATA settings.  All I can say is keep an eye on it to see if it connects.  HSDPA should have no bearing on the program.

If you don't use MMS messaging you can call ATT and have them place a WIX block on the line and that would prevent all cellular data from being able to be used by the phone thus guaranteeing there are no data charges.

I have 3 HTC phones and none of them have overidden the NODATA settings.  All I can say is keep an eye on it to see if it connects.  HSDPA should have no bearing on the program.

If you don't use MMS messaging you can call ATT and have them place a WIX block on the line and that would prevent all cellular data from being able to be used by the phone thus guaranteeing there are no data charges.

6 of 15 (11,995 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2008 12:58:20 PM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks for the responses.  I'll give the options a try.  Also, nice to know that I can have ATT block the line and I won't have to be concerned!

I really appreciate the help. 

Thanks for the responses.  I'll give the options a try.  Also, nice to know that I can have ATT block the line and I won't have to be concerned!

I really appreciate the help. 

7 of 15 (11,990 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2009 2:01:15 PM
(0)
Contributor
My question is will I be charged for data downloads on my tilt if I'm connecting through my personal wi-fi modem?
My question is will I be charged for data downloads on my tilt if I'm connecting through my personal wi-fi modem?

8 of 15 (11,102 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2009 12:57:46 PM
(0)
Master

Rsmerquip group wrote:

No you will not.  However you need to be very certain that you are actually using Wi-Fi data.  If the phone cannot get the data through Wi-Fi, it will then try a cellular data connection.  So you should ensure you have a working Wi-Fi connection or install something like Nodata or call customer service to disable data, otherwise you risk getting data charges when you're not careful.

Rsmerquip group wrote:

No you will not.  However you need to be very certain that you are actually using Wi-Fi data.  If the phone cannot get the data through Wi-Fi, it will then try a cellular data connection.  So you should ensure you have a working Wi-Fi connection or install something like Nodata or call customer service to disable data, otherwise you risk getting data charges when you're not careful.

9 of 15 (11,061 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2009 8:24:32 AM
(0)
Contributor

Is WiFi used as default over data when connected?  This was not specifically stated.  If not, what is the priority order?

Thanks,  RAR

Is WiFi used as default over data when connected?  This was not specifically stated.  If not, what is the priority order?

Thanks,  RAR

10 of 15 (10,373 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2009 9:26:14 AM
(0)
Expert

rreall wrote:

Thanks,  RAR

Data is always primary, if WiFi is selected and the signal falls out or degrades bad enough the phone will revert to the data usage from the network and bill you accordingly by the KB used.

rreall wrote:

Thanks,  RAR

Data is always primary, if WiFi is selected and the signal falls out or degrades bad enough the phone will revert to the data usage from the network and bill you accordingly by the KB used.

11 of 15 (3,143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2009 9:39:53 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks again.  I guess unless I'm sitting on a top of a hot spot or at home next to my router, I may be OK, but it will be Airport Mode elsewhere.

RAR

Thanks again.  I guess unless I'm sitting on a top of a hot spot or at home next to my router, I may be OK, but it will be Airport Mode elsewhere.

RAR

12 of 15 (3,140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2009 10:50:24 AM
(0)
Scholar
I ended up watching my phone too often to verify that it was using my WiFi and not AT&T's data.  I called AT&T and had the data cancelled, they guarantted that the phone wouldn't use data.  If I ever want it back, even for just a day, it's only a phone call to get it re-activated. 
I ended up watching my phone too often to verify that it was using my WiFi and not AT&T's data.  I called AT&T and had the data cancelled, they guarantted that the phone wouldn't use data.  If I ever want it back, even for just a day, it's only a phone call to get it re-activated. 

13 of 15 (3,134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2010 4:22:34 PM
(0)
Tutor

friend was told recently that att has stopped allowing you to disable data plans for "Smart Phones".... even if you want it disabled....

I think this would suxors majorly !!

friend was told recently that att has stopped allowing you to disable data plans for "Smart Phones".... even if you want it disabled....

14 of 15 (1,924 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2010 8:49:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

sammydad1 wrote:

Unfortunately I believe that is true.  You may still be able to get a data block placed on a smartphone that was activated prior to September 6th, 2009 - but if you ever remove the data block you will not be able to re-instate it Smiley Sad (which imho is a significant change to the terms of service for a smartphone that was purchased prior to the implementation of the mandatory data plan policy and should qualify the user for termination of service without incurring the ETF).

For an at&t designated smartphone purchased after September 6th, you cannot obtain a data block.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

sammydad1 wrote:

Unfortunately I believe that is true.  You may still be able to get a data block placed on a smartphone that was activated prior to September 6th, 2009 - but if you ever remove the data block you will not be able to re-instate it Smiley Sad (which imho is a significant change to the terms of service for a smartphone that was purchased prior to the implementation of the mandatory data plan policy and should qualify the user for termination of service without incurring the ETF).

For an at&t designated smartphone purchased after September 6th, you cannot obtain a data block.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

15 of 15 (1,881 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments