Can my parents read my text messages?

Contributor

Can my parents read my text messages?

I was wondering if my parents could read my text messages online or any other way without physically looking at my phone. Could any replies please also include additional information about the process my parents would procure this information? That would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 16 (160,362 Views)
Master
Solution
Accepted by Glomag (Former Moderator)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Can my parents read my text messages?

No they cannot.  Only the time/date, from/to and type are listed.  Not the actual contents.

They would have to take your phone to read the contents.

Now for the parents reading this.  I would suggest is if you ask to see the phone and your refused or all the messages are deleted to prevent them from being inspected you have two choices.  Accept not being able to read them or call ATT and have a messaging block be placed on the line to prevent messaging completely.  Then there can be nothing to hide.

Message 2 of 16 (160,296 Views)
Contributor

Thanks a lot Planet Ed!

Message 3 of 16 (160,277 Views)
Contributor

Wait, so they can see the time and date I sent them? Is there I way I can get into the account data and delete them?

Message 4 of 16 (158,179 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

presh05 wrote:

Wait, so they can see the time and date I sent them? Is there I way I can get into the account data and delete them?

no

Message 5 of 16 (158,173 Views)

They may not be able to log onto AT&T to read your texts. HOWEVER,  If they gain access to your iPhone, THEY CAN!  Even with the texts turned off so they dont show while your phone is locked, All someone has to do is ask SIRI to read messages AND SHE WILL! So turn OFF SIRI to keep those text private!

Message 6 of 16 (40,099 Views)
Contributor

Can they read them on their account on at&t if it's on imessage/online? Does this apply to my iphone if I don't have Siri?

Message 7 of 16 (31,526 Views)
Contributor

What about if the text are iMessages? Can they see time/date, who/from and type if it's an iMessage?

Message 8 of 16 (31,524 Views)
Contributor

Actually there are several apps on the market that can 've put on a device that will allow them to read all messages ie;every word that you send and receive as well as location history and call records ,even your Facebook,and snapshot and so on. Every thing that goes on the phone.
Message 9 of 16 (18,260 Views)
ACE - Master

Des0702 wrote:

What about if the text are iMessages? Can they see time/date, who/from and type if it's an iMessage?

If you are using iMessage, all they need to do is to login on another device using the same AppleID and password, and they will receive a copy of all your iMessage messages on the second device.  They would not only see who you sent to and when, but then they would also see everything that you received and sent.  iMessage will give your parents better controls over your messaging than standard SMS text messaging.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 16 (18,226 Views)
Contributor

Someone sent me a nasty message and my mom read it, and it was deleted, and she has no idea of the time or day it was sent, what is the likely hood of her ever seeing it again. And..... if my mom were to try and get access to my texts from my provider how long would it take her to get them and what would she get?
Message 11 of 16 (4,325 Views)
ACE - Master

@Kittylove Your mom can not any text content from your provider. The only thing she can get, presuming you are on her plan, is the date, time and number of who sent you or received your texts. ATT does not save any text content. As for the nasty message, once it is deleted, it's gone. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 16 (4,295 Views)

Oh man, I wish the internet was available back in my day. I would be making this same kind of post.

Message 13 of 16 (4,235 Views)
Contributor

Ok help me i'm on someone's family share plan and people are telling me that they can read my text messages and they can also GPS every location even know my GPS is off my location is off and find my iPhone is off is this true as the account holder what all can they do on a family share plan
Message 14 of 16 (2,468 Views)
ACE - Master

@lanishacarr There is no way for anyone to track you or read your messages through the ATT account. If you really have GPS and find my iPhone turned off, I suspect whoever is telling you they are tracking you is lieing. Either that or they "track" you through other means such as Facebook posts, etc. As for texts, they could be getting your iMessages or texts if text forwarding is turned on or you all use the same Apple ID. Just turn iMessage off to prevent that.

Message 15 of 16 (2,134 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.