Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 12, 2013
2:38:00 PM
Can I tether my laptop to Samsung Note 2 on grandfathered unliimited data LTE plan?

I switched from Blackberry to Samsung Note 2 and was told I could keep my old unlimited data plan. I gather from research that I should try to stay under 3Gb a month. When I first activated the Note, the agent accidentally put me on a Mobile Share plan, which I used for a few weeks until I realized it wasn't my old plan. On that plan, I could use the Tethering feature on Note 2 to get online with my laptop. Today they activated my old plan which says Data Unlimited for LTE Personal Add-On (with Nation 450 rollover), but I don't know if this includes the ability to use the tethering feature without charge. Anyone know? If not, what software is recommended to accomplish this with the latest Android 4.1.2 software? With Blackberry I used tether.com and it worked fine.

I switched from Blackberry to Samsung Note 2 and was told I could keep my old unlimited data plan. I gather from research that I should try to stay under 3Gb a month. When I first activated the Note, the agent accidentally put me on a Mobile Share plan, which I used for a few weeks until I realized it wasn't my old plan. On that plan, I could use the Tethering feature on Note 2 to get online with my laptop. Today they activated my old plan which says Data Unlimited for LTE Personal Add-On (with Nation 450 rollover), but I don't know if this includes the ability to use the tethering feature without charge. Anyone know? If not, what software is recommended to accomplish this with the latest Android 4.1.2 software? With Blackberry I used tether.com and it worked fine.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 12, 2013 5:45:48 PM
(0)
Expert

baytop28 wrote:

thethering is not allowed on the discontinued unlimited plan, you need to swtch to mobile share or see if the 5GB tethering plan is still available since you have the discontinued family plan. Not a good thing to ask on a ATT run forum about software that allows you to violate the terms of service on your account

Accepted Solution

Can I tether my laptop to Samsung Note 2 on grandfathered unliimited data LTE plan?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 12, 2013 5:45:48 PM
(0)
Expert

baytop28 wrote:

thethering is not allowed on the discontinued unlimited plan, you need to swtch to mobile share or see if the 5GB tethering plan is still available since you have the discontinued family plan. Not a good thing to ask on a ATT run forum about software that allows you to violate the terms of service on your account

baytop28 wrote:

Re: Can I tether my laptop to Samsung Note 2 on grandfathered unliimited data LTE plan?

2 of 6 (2,834 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 5:50:18 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for your info. I could not find any answers on the AT&T site. The description of my plan does not say anything about not including tethering.

Thanks for your info. I could not find any answers on the AT&T site. The description of my plan does not say anything about not including tethering.

Re: Can I tether my laptop to Samsung Note 2 on grandfathered unliimited data LTE plan?

3 of 6 (2,830 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2013 9:21:17 PM
(0)
Contributor

Install portable wi fi hotspot in playstore. Just DO NOT UPDATE YOUR PHONE FROM 4.1.2 TO 4.3!!! Or it wont work anymore!

Install portable wi fi hotspot in playstore. Just DO NOT UPDATE YOUR PHONE FROM 4.1.2 TO 4.3!!! Or it wont work anymore!

4 of 6 (2,455 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2013 5:04:00 AM
(0)
Expert

skoobiesnack wrote:

the device already has that ability, you just have to have the correct data plan that allows tethering, without it you are in violation of the terms of service

skoobiesnack wrote:

the device already has that ability, you just have to have the correct data plan that allows tethering, without it you are in violation of the terms of service

5 of 6 (2,437 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 10:39:54 AM
(0)
Employee
There's an entire section for people griping that they've recieved notices because they've violated their terms of service and tried to tether without the appropriate plan.
If you really want unlimited, get a home service like uverse. The cellular service is not designed for that.
-Alex
There's an entire section for people griping that they've recieved notices because they've violated their terms of service and tried to tether without the appropriate plan.
If you really want unlimited, get a home service like uverse. The cellular service is not designed for that.
-Alex
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 6 (2,390 Views)