Need your talk or text logs?
baytop28's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Tuesday, November 12th, 2013 10:38 PM

Can I tether my laptop to Samsung Note 2 on grandfathered unliimited data LTE plan?

I switched from Blackberry to Samsung Note 2 and was told I could keep my old unlimited data plan. I gather from research that I should try to stay under 3Gb a month. When I first activated the Note, the agent accidentally put me on a Mobile Share plan, which I used for a few weeks until I realized it wasn't my old plan. On that plan, I could use the Tethering feature on Note 2 to get online with my laptop. Today they activated my old plan which says Data Unlimited for LTE Personal Add-On (with Nation 450 rollover), but I don't know if this includes the ability to use the tethering feature without charge. Anyone know? If not, what software is recommended to accomplish this with the latest Android 4.1.2 software? With Blackberry I used tether.com and it worked fine.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@baytop28 wrote:

I switched from Blackberry to Samsung Note 2 and was told I could keep my old unlimited data plan. I gather from research that I should try to stay under 3Gb a month. When I first activated the Note, the agent accidentally put me on a Mobile Share plan, which I used for a few weeks until I realized it wasn't my old plan. On that plan, I could use the Tethering feature on Note 2 to get online with my laptop. Today they activated my old plan which says Data Unlimited for LTE Personal Add-On (with Nation 450 rollover), but I don't know if this includes the ability to use the tethering feature without charge. Anyone know? If not, what software is recommended to accomplish this with the latest Android 4.1.2 software? With Blackberry I used tether.com and it worked fine.

thethering is not allowed on the discontinued unlimited plan, you need to swtch to mobile share or see if the 5GB tethering plan is still available since you have the discontinued family plan. Not a good thing to ask on a ATT run forum about software that allows you to violate the terms of service on your account

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for your info. I could not find any answers on the AT&T site. The description of my plan does not say anything about not including tethering.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Install portable wi fi hotspot in playstore. Just DO NOT UPDATE YOUR PHONE FROM 4.1.2 TO 4.3!!! Or it wont work anymore!

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@skoobiesnack wrote:

Install portable wi fi hotspot in playstore. Just DO NOT UPDATE YOUR PHONE FROM 4.1.2 TO 4.3!!! Or it wont work anymore!

the device already has that ability, you just have to have the correct data plan that allows tethering, without it you are in violation of the terms of service

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

There's an entire section for people griping that they've recieved notices because they've violated their terms of service and tried to tether without the appropriate plan.
If you really want unlimited, get a home service like uverse. The cellular service is not designed for that.
-Alex

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Yes You can give your girlfriend according to your need but take care its touchpad and say do not play a game on a laptop because Many users face a problem with hp touchpad not working You can check aslo solution 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.