Need your talk or text logs?
Gina_Q's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, July 3rd, 2014 10:47 PM

Can I keep unlimited data when I upgrade from a 3G to LTE device?

I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan on my iphone 4 that is no longer under contract and is upgrade eligible.  I want:

• A new unlocked phone with LTE capabilities
  • To have a plan that allows me to use my LTE capabilities
  • To keep my unlimited data (in a sense upgrading from 3G unlimited data to LTE unlimited data)

Is this possible?  And what are my best options?

Also: is "unlimited data" (that's verbatim what it says in my account), really unlimited at the top speed (3G in my case), or is it throttled after a cap?  If so, what are the caps for 3G and LTE?

Thanks y'all!

Employee

• 

156 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, you are able to keep your grandfathered plan. As long as you are using an att compatable device you can have that put onto your plan. Now if you are going to be using a LTE device they do throttle you once you hit the 5gb mark. Hope that answers your question!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

On an LTE plan, when you are throttled after 5gb, what speed do you then
get? 3G? Is keeping my "unlimited" 3G plan while upgrading to a new LTE
phone and LTE plan effectively any different than purchasing a 5gb LTE plan?

Employee

• 

156 Messages

10 years ago

I have been throttled a few times myself, it slows you down noticeably. Cost wise yes they are different. Unlimited data plan ran 30 dollars a month. 5 gb with tethering ran at 50. So cost wise it maybe more beneficial to hang onto what you have. You may want to check your overall data usage average to get a better idea of how much you use, if your on a family plan you might want to check into the mobile share value options as they can give you a bigger bucket of data to share.

Guru

• 

450 Messages

10 years ago

Hi @Gina_Q 

You would be able to keep your Unlimited Data plan if you bought a new device unlocked and keep it on service. Keep in mind that as the previous poster stated, you do get throttled after 5GB of data usage. 

Also keep in mind that if are buying an unlocked device, you need to ensure it has AT&T's LTE bands. Currently AT&T is using Bands 4 and 17. If your device does not support these bands you will not get LTE coverage. 

The best device I feel you can get unlocked with LTE coverage would be the Nexus 5 from Google. You can buy one of these by visiting the Google Play site on your computer. They currently start at $350 brand new. 

You may also need to manually program your device as well with the proper APN settings to get your data working when you get a new unlocked device. You can find these APN settings by clicking Here

Hope this helps!

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@Gina_Q wrote:
On an LTE plan, when you are throttled after 5gb, what speed do you then
get? 3G? Is keeping my "unlimited" 3G plan while upgrading to a new LTE
phone and LTE plan effectively any different than purchasing a 5gb LTE plan?

3G plans are throttled at 3GB usage when you are in a market with oversaturation so throttling is enabled.  For LTE devices, the limit before throttling kicks in is 5GB.  WHen Throttling is active, you will get data throughputs closer to Edge speeds (think in the 10-30Kb range not in the 1-15Mbrange you may be used to for 3G or LTE).

The difference with purchaing a newer plan is that you do not get throttled if you go over that threshhold, but you do get billed for your excess usage.  On the higher data plans you will pay around $10-15/GB for excess data usage, but you will not get throttled.  It's more of a pay for what you use than an "all you can eat buffet" model.  If you're willing to order ala-carte and possibly pay mor for it, you can have as much as you want.  If you order the all-you-can-eat-buffet, you can only eat as fast as they refill the buffet table (which may no be as fast as you'd like)

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

If you are buying an unlocked LTE device from other sources, then you may ant to look into the Mobile Share Value Plans.  I know it sounds strange to have a Mobile Share plan for one person, but think of it like this.  Right now if you have a grandfathered "unlimited data" plan, you have a minimum of $50/month for 450 minutes voice, $30 for data, and most likely $20 for unlimited text messages.  That means you're paying about $100/month for 450 minutes talk time, unlimited texts and 5GB data on LTE.  If you sign up for a Mobile Share Value Plan with 10GB data you would pay $100/month for the 10GB data, and $40/month for unlimited talk & text, but with your out-ov-contract phone, you would also get a $25/month discount (for not having an AT&T subsidized phone). This means you would be paying about $115/month for 10GB data and unlimited talk & texts.  The only time that this might not be a good deal for you is if you think you will be getting an AT&T subsidized phone because you would then lose that $25/month discount when you sign a new contract.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.