Need your talk or text logs?
DrkX's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Sunday, October 14th, 2012 9:26 AM

Can I keep my unlimited data plan when I upgrade?

Question for anybody that knows..

I have the infinite data plan.. I'm in a family plan with 2 other phones.. I have the iPhone 3GS, have had it since it came out..

My 'renewal' is up, so I can buy a phone now at a discount, if I sign a new 2 year contract.. BUT.. I've been told that if I buy a new phone, now, my unlimited data plan disappears.. Is that true?

My iPhone 3GS is running SO slow now, and takes forever to respond to anything (clicks, loading programs, etc). I would love to get either the iPhone 5 or Galaxy S3 (depending on which one is better), but I don't think I really want to upgrade my phone and contract if they're going to take away my unlimited data plan.. I'd rather stick with my older, slowing by the day, crappy battery lifed iPhone 3GS, and be able to have unlimited data...

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@tm298 wrote:

What about an unlimited non-smartphone data plan continued to an unlimited smartphone data plan?

No, they are different plans and while the non-smartphone unlimited plan is still being offered, the smart phone unlimited plan was discontinued over 3 years ago. Only those that already have the smartphone unlimited plan can keep it when they upgrade. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Does anyone know if it is still valid to keep my unlimited data plan when I upgrade from 3GS to 5S?  And if it is, why would I want to switch?

Guru

• 

450 Messages

10 years ago

Yes you will be able to keep your unlimited data plan with either upgrade options that may be avaiable to you (AT&T Next or 2 Year). As long as you don't change from a smartphone you are grandfathered into it the plan.

There is major differences between the 3GS and iPhone 5S:

- Network Speed (LTE vs 3G)
- Possible Storage space (Up to 64GB)
- iOS 7 - Latest OS from Apple
- TouchID Fingerprint Reader
- A7 Processing Chip wtih M7 Graphics Chip - Faster Gaming and Graphic Intensive Applications
- Thinner, All metal design

That's the major featues of the 5S. I would say its a pretty large jump for yourself (2 generations of iPhones). You may start to notice taht your 3GS may not be able to download the latest Appls due to it not running iOS 7.

Mentor

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

You most definitely can keep your unlimited plan -- but depending upon the person you are working with when transitioning to your new device you may need to be insistent.

There are a lot of misinformed employees regarding this issue and when I've upgraded I was told a few times that I had to select a new plan.  However, in both cases when I politely insisted on speaking with a manger, that person confirmed that I could keep the unlimited plan.

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan for smartphone. (SMTPERSONAL) I have a new Nexus 5.  I got a new micro sim from an ATT store, also got the new IMEI added to my account. All is working fine except there is no LTE, only H showing. Is there a way or workaround to add LTE to my account? My location is LTE ready.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

There is no such thing as unlimited at att. They tell you it is and sell it to you that way but it is restricted after a couple GB's. Trust me. I'm changing carriers because of their false advertisement. Netflix quit working completely and all they say is wait till next billing cycle?

[word filter avoidance]

Scholar

• 

85 Messages

10 years ago

@Kwlogue wrote:

They tell you it is and sell it to you that way but it is restricted after a couple GB's. Trust me. I'm changing carriers because of their false advertisement. Netflix quit working completely and all they say is wait till next billing cycle?

[word filter avoidance]

I realize this is an older post... Still, I don't know what you mean by "restricted" nor am I clear on what your couple GB's covers (I realize GB's = GigaBytes... But a "couple" is "2" and it makes no sense that a restriction is placed at 2 GB)... I currently have an "unlimited data plan" (was "grandfathered in" as described/mentioned above). While I might experience slower speeds some times, I have gone up as high as 8.8 GB's (see chart below) with no noticable/known "restriction" whatsoever. 

AT&T Mobile Phone Data Usage.jpg

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.