Need your talk or text logs?
DrkX's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Sunday, October 14th, 2012 9:26 AM

Can I keep my unlimited data plan when I upgrade?

Question for anybody that knows..

I have the infinite data plan.. I'm in a family plan with 2 other phones.. I have the iPhone 3GS, have had it since it came out..

My 'renewal' is up, so I can buy a phone now at a discount, if I sign a new 2 year contract.. BUT.. I've been told that if I buy a new phone, now, my unlimited data plan disappears.. Is that true?

My iPhone 3GS is running SO slow now, and takes forever to respond to anything (clicks, loading programs, etc). I would love to get either the iPhone 5 or Galaxy S3 (depending on which one is better), but I don't think I really want to upgrade my phone and contract if they're going to take away my unlimited data plan.. I'd rather stick with my older, slowing by the day, crappy battery lifed iPhone 3GS, and be able to have unlimited data...

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@DrkX wrote:

Question for anybody that knows..

I have the infinite data plan.. I'm in a family plan with 2 other phones.. I have the iPhone 3GS, have had it since it came out..

My 'renewal' is up, so I can buy a phone now at a discount, if I sign a new 2 year contract.. BUT.. I've been told that if I buy a new phone, now, my unlimited data plan disappears.. Is that true?

My iPhone 3GS is running SO slow now, and takes forever to respond to anything (clicks, loading programs, etc). I would love to get either the iPhone 5 or Galaxy S3 (depending on which one is better), but I don't think I really want to upgrade my phone and contract if they're going to take away my unlimited data plan.. I'd rather stick with my older, slowing by the day, crappy battery lifed iPhone 3GS, and be able to have unlimited data...

If you upgrade to another smartphone, the unlimited plan should transfer - at least currently it does. If oyu need the phone right away get the galaxy if you don;t mind waiting a few weeks or more then get the iphone 5,

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you, I was told wrong then, about losing my infinite data plan.

And really? I've been told by people the S3 is the way to go because better battery life and better processesor/more ram/ better hardware? I might have been misinformed about that stuff too, lol.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@DrkX wrote:

Thank you, I was told wrong then, about losing my infinite data plan.

And really? I've been told by people the S3 is the way to go because better battery life and better processesor/more ram/ better hardware? I might have been misinformed about that stuff too, lol.

nothing meant, it is just a matter of how fast you want it, the iphone 5 is back ordered heavily while the galaxy is a walk into a store and pick it up.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

FWIW, I "kept" my Unlinited plan from my 3G throgh my IP4 S (including 3G S, and IP4).  I NEVER went above 2 GB  the entire time AFAIK.  When I recently got my IP5, I switched to the tiered plan (3GB for the same $30 as my former unlimited plan).  Reason, I wanted the ability to tether for an extra $20 which by the way, works great.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that I can switch back and forth monthly from the 5GB plan that allows tethering to the 3GB plan that doesn't.  In other other words, go from $50 to $30 any month I wish.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@EosBlue wrote:

FWIW, I "kept" my Unlinited plan from my 3G throgh my IP4 S (including 3G S, and IP4).  I NEVER went above 2 GB  the entire time AFAIK.  When I recently got my IP5, I switched to the tiered plan (3GB for the same $30 as my former unlimited plan).  Reason, I wanted the ability to tether for an extra $20 which by the way, works great.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that I can switch back and forth monthly from the 5GB plan that allows tethering to the 3GB plan that doesn't.  In other other words, go from $50 to $30 any month I wish.

you can d that, just remember that everytime you switch your data will be pro-rated for the old plan and the new, why not just look at the shared plan, you can do it wih a single device, the cost includes unlimited voice, unlimited texting and you can tethering and utilize hotpsot on any level. A shared data plan with 4GB of data, unlimited voice, text is 110.00 for a single smartphone, you don;t mention the voice plan and text plan you are on but it might end up more economical for you

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:

you can d that, just remember that everytime you switch your data will be pro-rated for the old plan and the new, why not just look at the shared plan, you can do it wih a single device, the cost includes unlimited voice, unlimited texting and you can tethering and utilize hotpsot on any level. A shared data plan with 4GB of data, unlimited voice, text is 110.00 for a single smartphone, you don;t mention the voice plan and text plan you are on but it might end up more economical for you

I looked at the shared plan, but didn't have enough usage to make it pay. I didn't realize I could switch "during" the month.  I just switched about half way through the month. IF ATT prorates me, I should be around $40 for this month.  I doubt I'll have much use for tethering except for travels (probably around 4-5 times a year.).  Tethering is a great option for my iPad, my MBA and my wife's IP.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Yep it should transfer right over with your new phone! I've also found I am cat 5GB and have yet to get a text from AT&T that they are going to start throttling me. "Knock on wood" hahaha

Professor

• 

1.2K Messages

11 years ago

You can currently, but I would expect that to change soon.  Verizon already makes you dorp unlimited data when you upgrade, so I doubt at&t is far behind.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@EosBlue wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

I looked at the shared plan, but didn't have enough usage to make it pay. I didn't realize I could switch "during" the month.  I just switched about half way through the month. IF ATT prorates me, I should be around $40 for this month.  I doubt I'll have much use for tethering except for travels (probably around 4-5 times a year.).  Tethering is a great option for my iPad, my MBA and my wife's IP.

When you switch data plans, you have 3 options. You can switch immediately, which will cause both the new and old data plan to be pro-rated, you can backdate the switch to the beginning of your current billing cycle, or you can set the switch to start on your next billing cycle. The advantage of backdating, let's say you are 3 weeks into your billing cycle and you are on the non-tethering plan and you decide you need to tether that final week. If you backdate the change, then you'll have the entire 5GB alotment available to you minus whatever you've used to that point. If you don't back date it, you'll only get one week's worth of data, roughly 1.25GB.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

What about an unlimited non-smartphone data plan continued to an unlimited smartphone data plan?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.