Need your talk or text logs?
jamesvtx's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, June 6th, 2019 3:21 PM

Blocking Phishing SMS messages

How can one block the messages in the first place, such as all that come from SMS messages that come from the 410-200-5xx series? Your MobileSecurity app does not block the messages, just supposedly, fixes the results.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@jamesvtx Try blocking some of the exact numbers, to-start, and see if that helps, blocking a "1000 range" of numbers isn't a great idea, just yet...

Also, file reports on donotcall.gov, it only takes a couple of minutes, per-number, I file them quite a bit, and it definitely seems to help "reduce" these, from a given set, for quite awhile...

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

It appeared that all of these were being initiated from the same prefix. My request had more to do with having AT&T block the whole prefix or being more pro-active in making sure that those whom are using these numbers are not rip-off artists. Simply asking that I be the one that activates a block on my end, each time it occurs - three in he last week, does not resolve AT&T from their responsibilities to regulate their infrastructure to protect their users.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@jamesvtx Sure, it's up to you.  If you want to pro-actively block these, file some donotcall.gov reports. 

Or, pretty much all the carriers are constantly evolving their "spam filters", in various ways, which *may* also block some of these numbers.

I prefer the combination, of reporting some too, because I've had good success with that model. YMMV though.

I get LOTS of spam calls, from a few area-codes, the spammers have gotten a bit smarter like this, they tend to pick our local area-codes, to call our (local) numbers, which makes people suspect less...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.