Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Blocking Phishing SMS messages

Contributor

Blocking Phishing SMS messages

How can one block the messages in the first place, such as all that come from SMS messages that come from the 410-200-5xx series? Your MobileSecurity app does not block the messages, just supposedly, fixes the results.

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Professor

Re: Blocking Phishing SMS messages

@jamesvtx Try blocking some of the exact numbers, to-start, and see if that helps, blocking a "1000 range" of numbers isn't a great idea, just yet...

Also, file reports on donotcall.gov, it only takes a couple of minutes, per-number, I file them quite a bit, and it definitely seems to help "reduce" these, from a given set, for quite awhile...

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Contributor

It appeared that all of these were being initiated from the same prefix. My request had more to do with having AT&T block the whole prefix or being more pro-active in making sure that those whom are using these numbers are not rip-off artists. Simply asking that I be the one that activates a block on my end, each time it occurs - three in he last week, does not resolve AT&T from their responsibilities to regulate their infrastructure to protect their users.

Message 3 of 4
ACE - Professor

@jamesvtx Sure, it's up to you.  If you want to pro-actively block these, file some donotcall.gov reports. 

Or, pretty much all the carriers are constantly evolving their "spam filters", in various ways, which *may* also block some of these numbers.

I prefer the combination, of reporting some too, because I've had good success with that model. YMMV though.

I get LOTS of spam calls, from a few area-codes, the spammers have gotten a bit smarter like this, they tend to pick our local area-codes, to call our (local) numbers, which makes people suspect less...

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support