For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
-chris-'s profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, June 1st, 2017 5:49 PM

Best plan for mobile Hot Spot when on holiday in the US? Problem with the fine print...

Hi!

I am from Germany and will travel along the States with my family for 3 weeks. I have a AT&T branded 770s mobile LTE hotspot with me and need a data plan for that device. I usually used GoPhone 5GB plans for this hotspot while I was in the States the years before.

As we will visit Canada as well in this year`s holiday, I need international roaming, too.

As far as I read in the small writing for the GoPhone data plans, there is no international roaming possible.

We don`t need text / talk, just data.

One of the AT&T operators of a chat I had some days ago, he suggested me to use the new “unlimited choice” plan, which I could book and cancel it after 3 weeks, so I would only have to pay the prorated costs for 3weeks.

Now I am not sure which “unlimited choice” plan I should use, read a lot of fine print, “terms and conditions” and other stuff, but still have three questions:

1)

In the terms of service (w3.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans.html) the fine print says:

“AT&T UNLIMITED CHOICE: […] Tethering and mobile hotspot use prohibited (except for these products: Connected Cars, Hot Spots, and Wireless Home Phone and Internet).”

• What does “except for Hot Spot” mean: I could not use the Choice plan in a mobile phone and use this decent mobile phone as a hotspot?
  • BUT if I have a decent hotspot (which I have, the 770s) I may use this plan with my hotspot? (“except for these products: […] hotspot”)

2)

“AT&T UNLIMITED PLUS: […] Tethering & Mobile Hotspot: Includes up to 10GB per line per month. After 10GB, tethering speed will be slowed to a max of 128Kbps for the rest of the bill cycle (except for these products: Connected Cars, Hot Spots, and Wireless Home Phone and Internet).”

• Does that mean, speed will slowed after 10GB if I use this plan in a mobile phone which I would use as a hotspot,
  • BUT it would NOT be slowed if I have a decent hotspot (which I have, the 770s), so I may use this plan with my hotspot? (“except for these products: […] Hot Spot”)

3)

“ROAM NORTH AMERICA FEATURE: Data: allows domestic plan data usage in Mexico/Canada.”

• Do I have to book this feature separately or is it included in the “unlimited choice / plus” plan

Is anybody familiar with these terms -  and can clear that for me, please? Thank you so much…

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

Postpaid plans are not an option for short term use.

The data connect plans are for the US only.  You will have to get a plan from A Canadian carrier to use in Canada.

An alternate, which is cheaper and more functional, is a Gophone $45 plan, which can work in Canada and can be used to tether.   (The $65 unlimited plan cannot tether)

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1048698

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/gophone-plans.html

back to the questions above:   ATT does a credit check for postpaid plans and requires a US SS number.  No way they let you have an postpaid account.  Just cross it off the list.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Hi, lizdance40, thanks for your quick response!

I got the information about the postpaid unlimited choice plan by one of the AT&T chat agents... but of course I understand that AT&T would not give out a postpaid plan to somebody from abroad.

So I keep on my GoPhone plan (which I had in the years before) and have to refill it when neccessary after having passed the 5GB limit.

I am not sure if I can use my hotspot with a carrier other than AT&T, as the device might be simlocked? I have to clear that in the store when I pay for my GoPhone plan.

Thank you & Greetings from Germany,

Chris

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

Unfortunately ATT will not unlocked mobile hotspots for other carriers.  If you are traveling with a smartphone, you could use it with a prepaid plan as a hotspot.  I hope you enjoy your trip.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.