Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Best plan for mobile Hot Spot when on holiday in the US? Problem with the fine print...

Highlighted
Contributor

Best plan for mobile Hot Spot when on holiday in the US? Problem with the fine print...

Hi!

I am from Germany and will travel along the States with my family for 3 weeks. I have a AT&T branded 770s mobile LTE hotspot with me and need a data plan for that device. I usually used GoPhone 5GB plans for this hotspot while I was in the States the years before.

As we will visit Canada as well in this year`s holiday, I need international roaming, too.

As far as I read in the small writing for the GoPhone data plans, there is no international roaming possible.

We don`t need text / talk, just data.

One of the AT&T operators of a chat I had some days ago, he suggested me to use the new “unlimited choice” plan, which I could book and cancel it after 3 weeks, so I would only have to pay the prorated costs for 3weeks.

Now I am not sure which “unlimited choice” plan I should use, read a lot of fine print, “terms and conditions” and other stuff, but still have three questions:

1)

In the terms of service (w3.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans.html) the fine print says:

“AT&T UNLIMITED CHOICE: […] Tethering and mobile hotspot use prohibited (except for these products: Connected Cars, Hot Spots, and Wireless Home Phone and Internet).”

• What does “except for Hot Spot” mean: I could not use the Choice plan in a mobile phone and use this decent mobile phone as a hotspot?
  • BUT if I have a decent hotspot (which I have, the 770s) I may use this plan with my hotspot? (“except for these products: […] hotspot”)

2)

“AT&T UNLIMITED PLUS: […] Tethering & Mobile Hotspot: Includes up to 10GB per line per month. After 10GB, tethering speed will be slowed to a max of 128Kbps for the rest of the bill cycle (except for these products: Connected Cars, Hot Spots, and Wireless Home Phone and Internet).”

• Does that mean, speed will slowed after 10GB if I use this plan in a mobile phone which I would use as a hotspot,
  • BUT it would NOT be slowed if I have a decent hotspot (which I have, the 770s), so I may use this plan with my hotspot? (“except for these products: […] Hot Spot”)

3)

“ROAM NORTH AMERICA FEATURE: Data: allows domestic plan data usage in Mexico/Canada.”

• Do I have to book this feature separately or is it included in the “unlimited choice / plus” plan

Is anybody familiar with these terms -  and can clear that for me, please? Thank you so much…

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by -chris-
‎06-01-2017 3:36 PM

Re: Best plan for mobile Hot Spot when on holiday in the US? Problem with the fine print...

Postpaid plans are not an option for short term use.

The data connect plans are for the US only.  You will have to get a plan from A Canadian carrier to use in Canada.

An alternate, which is cheaper and more functional, is a Gophone $45 plan, which can work in Canada and can be used to tether.   (The $65 unlimited plan cannot tether)

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1048698

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/gophone-plans.html

back to the questions above:   ATT does a credit check for postpaid plans and requires a US SS number.  No way they let you have an postpaid account.  Just cross it off the list.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Re: Best plan for mobile Hot Spot when on holiday in the US? Problem with the fine print...

Hi, lizdance40, thanks for your quick response!

I got the information about the postpaid unlimited choice plan by one of the AT&T chat agents... but of course I understand that AT&T would not give out a postpaid plan to somebody from abroad.

So I keep on my GoPhone plan (which I had in the years before) and have to refill it when neccessary after having passed the 5GB limit.

I am not sure if I can use my hotspot with a carrier other than AT&T, as the device might be simlocked? I have to clear that in the store when I pay for my GoPhone plan.

Thank you & Greetings from Germany,

Chris

Message 3 of 4
ACE - Sage

Unfortunately ATT will not unlocked mobile hotspots for other carriers.  If you are traveling with a smartphone, you could use it with a prepaid plan as a hotspot.  I hope you enjoy your trip.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support