Need your talk or text logs?
johnray's profile

Mentor

• 

29 Messages

Saturday, January 21st, 2012 7:01 PM

At&t let a third party charge me $9.99 without my consent

I got a spam SMS from 31850 asking me to sign up for some quiz, I just ignored it, I've always heard not to reply 'STOP' to spamers because then they know your number is real and being spammers they don't care what you reply. I've seen messages on this board where people reply 'STOP' and it does no good.

Anyway, I just got my bill and AT&T let this "third party" (it's in quotes because they have to be in cahoots with at&t for this to happen) charge me $9.99 for their subscription. I don't have time to deal with it now but I'll probably have to take time out of my day monday call At&t.

I usually don't get upset over stuff but I can't believe that AT&T lets someone sign me up for a  $9.99 a month charge without consent, without a password or pin or an email or anything.

By the way, you are all now signed up for my subscription service.  Please read this sentence to confirm.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I also must add I was insulted when an AT&T rep told me I or my wife must have opted in to the crammer's service. That ABSOLUTELY is not the case. If I or my wife receive a spam email and charges start appearing on my bill—despite the fact that neither of us did anything other than delete the spam—that is NOT in any way agreeing to the spammer/crammer's invitation. Period. AT&T should actively and aggressively target any 3rd party that says otherwise. I can't understand how anyone can think I'm "opting in" to paying someone just because they send me an unwanted message and demand I reply "stop" or do anything other than delete their unwanted intrusion.

It's time for AT&T to do the right thing and eliminate 3rd party billing unless a customer OPTS-IN, not the other way around... and to aggressively purge any company caught cramming. Otherwise AT&T cannot complain if people (like myself) assume that the money made from association with crammers is more important than protecting customers from predatory thieves.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

I am sorry that you had this experience and I appreciate your very thorough feedback. 

I'm going to pass your thoughts on to some other folks because I think you'd captured the concerns other people have expressed in a very concise way. 

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

Interesting reading on this - the carriers do give the opt out for 3rd party billing

http://newsroom-magazine.com/2012/government-agencies/federal-trade-commission/ftc-formally-recommends-fcc-award-option-to-block-all-third-party-charges-to-wireless-customers/

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2012/07/ftc-wireless-phone-bill-cramming-is-significant-consumer-problem.html

Anotehr point, if you block 3rd party billing it should also block purcahses from googleplay or what ever android is using for it's app delivery method

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

Agreed, Michael. Many people here have been making the same point. It is indeed pleasing to see that @jamileh read and appeared to appreciate your post.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you, Jamileh. I appreciate your assistance. I've been very happy with AT&T for the many years I've been with them (since I bought my first iPhone). This is the first time I've ever had an issue. I hope it can be resolved quickly. But even more importantly, I hope this might get the company to address the cramming issue and aggressively disassociate itself from these disreputable thieves. 

Thanks again. 

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@michaelmhughes wrote:

Thank you, Jamileh. I appreciate your assistance. I've been very happy with AT&T for the many years I've been with them (since I bought my first iPhone). This is the first time I've ever had an issue. I hope it can be resolved quickly. But even more importantly, I hope this might get the company to address the cramming issue and aggressively disassociate itself from these disreputable thieves. 

Thanks again. 

The company may work at it, but to effectively fight it would have to done at the FCC level, federal goverment nad other controlling entities - something like a do not call list and even then it would not be 100 percent effective.

Sad fact that it if it is tried to be stopped by preventing at the company name level, sending phone number / short code, DNS resolver it takes about an hour to setup a new LLC without the assistance of professional services, 10 miniutes or so to change the phone number, less if the company buys a DID block of a couple hundred phone numbers, dns can be changed in about 24 hous, register a new domain name at someplace like godaddy.com, submit to the new name to thedns provider and it is a new location, ip addresses can easily be spoofed or made anonomous with inexpensive software to connecting though one of the online services that provide this

the easiest way would be if the fcc changes the requirement of providing a method to stop pruchases by putting a purchase block on the number to automaticly setting up the purchase block and requiring a email to the carrier to have it removed. ATT, Sprint, Verizon and every other carrier in the US complies to the FCC ruling about providing a method to prevent purchases, right now you as the customer have to call them and request it being turned on - and this is no charge to you, just the time for the phone call

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I was doing yardwork this afternoon, and in my pocket was my (very) old W580i, on which I have never made a purchase. I had also disabled the MediaNET button LONG ago, my phone is to be used as a phone...not a web device. And after having not used my phone all day, I suddenly received a text message stating that my subscription purchase for Snap for Mobile was successful.

I didn't authorize {word filter evasion}. I didn't even use the *** phone for anything other than six voice calls and four TXTs over the previous five days.

Sensing a scam, I almost immediately signed into my account on my desktop machine and went to Manage My Mobile Purchases. Sure enough, a $10.94 charge had been added to my account. Using AT&T's website, I tried to get the charges off my account...and it was immediately denied, literally one second after I clicked the Submit button (20MB broadband brings you bad news...FASTER). Yes, I called and got it reversed, and yes I put a block on purchases. Not that I should have had to do that, mind you...

Stop telling people that THEY made some sort of mistake. {keep it courteous}

mobile.png

1 Attachment

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@rogerch wrote:

I was doing yardwork this afternoon, and in my pocket was my (very) old W580i, on which I have never made a purchase. I had also disabled the MediaNET button LONG ago, my phone is to be used as a phone...not a web device. And after having not used my phone all day, I suddenly received a text message stating that my subscription purchase for Snap for Mobile was successful.

I didn't authorize {word filter evasion}. I didn't even use the *** phone for anything other than six voice calls and four TXTs over the previous five days.

Sensing a scam, I almost immediately signed into my account on my desktop machine and went to Manage My Mobile Purchases. Sure enough, a $10.94 charge had been added to my account. Using AT&T's website, I tried to get the charges off my account...and it was immediately denied, literally one second after I clicked the Submit button (20MB broadband brings you bad news...FASTER). Yes, I called and got it reversed, and yes I put a block on purchases. Not that I should have had to do that, mind you...

Stop telling people that THEY made some sort of mistame. {keep it courteous}

mobile.png

Thinly hidden vulgarity gets you nowhere, it just trivializes your end of the discussion.

You need to understand how theses places work - they can use a simple fact of "you did not respond with stop or end so you authorize it"

You took the personal responsibility to handle the issue by placing a purchase block, that was the correct step. Now it won't happen again.

Not sure where you are coming from with your attacks and claims of "long lengthy employement" (not that I could care) since this is your first post I have never responded to anything from you - unless you have another id on the forum. Nor am I concerned of your opinion on me. Bottom line, this happens the majority of the time through a "free" download, or taking a "free" intelligenece quiz on one of the social sites.

Thinly hidden vulgarity, name calling and bypassing a forum filter does nothing to prove or show the validity of a post, while I am really happy that you have 20mb internet pipe, that is kind of slow given the 1GB pipe available via Google fiber or the 100 MB pipe available via a cable carrier - although I do confess I am confused as to why this had to be part of the reponse, same as with your employment length.

Happy for you that you got it taken care of, with the purchase block in place you can be certain that any future charges placed on your mobile phone bill where specificly authorized by you.

Have a good day today and a better day tomorrow. Y'all be safe out there now.

1 Attachment

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

The same thing happened to me. I canceled it and received credit but the charge is right back on my phone. That is the smallest reason that i am canceling my service as soon as possible.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Just had to weigh in.  I am new to this whole third party subscription business.  Just emailed AT&T (which had to happen thru this Community Forum site because email is not offered thru their other sites) and told them I believe our phones should come blocked from third party purchases.  WE can decide if we want something so bad we have to un-block.  Not the other way around.  

Had this not happened, I don't think I would have known about such blocking.  In fact, I don't believe I would have known about third parties having access to MY BILL had my daughter not asked what "Snap for Mobile" was.  This was an app she had no knowledge of downloading and had never used (verified by folks at Snap for Mobile).   (BTW, Snap for Mobile is an app, available through AT&T (apparently) that will allow users to post pictures to their facebook, twitter, etc with "just one click". Cost?  A mere $9.99 (!) per month ON YOUR AT&T BILL!!!)  Who in their right minds would pay that much--or anything--for that?!

Yes, customer beware.  BUT, I remain convinced that AT&T and other providers are fully aware of the practices and tactics of these third parties and that they CHOOSE to let things remain as they are because they (AT&T and others) are PROFITING from customer ignorance.  

If customer service is TRUELY a priority, then PUT THIRD PARTY PURCHASE BLOCKING ON EVERY ACCOUNT and let customers know it can be removed should they want to purchase something.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.