Need your talk or text logs?
johnray's profile

Mentor

• 

29 Messages

Saturday, January 21st, 2012 7:01 PM

At&t let a third party charge me $9.99 without my consent

I got a spam SMS from 31850 asking me to sign up for some quiz, I just ignored it, I've always heard not to reply 'STOP' to spamers because then they know your number is real and being spammers they don't care what you reply. I've seen messages on this board where people reply 'STOP' and it does no good.

Anyway, I just got my bill and AT&T let this "third party" (it's in quotes because they have to be in cahoots with at&t for this to happen) charge me $9.99 for their subscription. I don't have time to deal with it now but I'll probably have to take time out of my day monday call At&t.

I usually don't get upset over stuff but I can't believe that AT&T lets someone sign me up for a  $9.99 a month charge without consent, without a password or pin or an email or anything.

By the way, you are all now signed up for my subscription service.  Please read this sentence to confirm.

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

1. Ok, clearly wingrider does not understand what is right and what is wrong.  I do not understand his/her continuing to blather on about, if you do not even open or read a text, you agree to buy something.  WR seems to think that doing nothing is agreeing to something.  Just because some hoodlum knows my phone number, does NOT give them permission to charge me.  YOU are wrong, no matter how many times you repeat yourself.  Just because AT&T allows it, does not make it right.  It makes AT&T appear to be in collusion with the perpetrators of the crimes. Now, we all understand that we can make a time consuming phone call to customer service to ASK AT&T to do something it should have done in the beginning.  We, who are paying AT&T rather large monthly payments already, do not appreciate your company's requirements to ask for a special service for them to do what they should be doing already.

[Please keep it courteous]

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@BCE777 wrote:
  1. Ok, clearly wingrider does not understand what is right and what is wrong.  I do not understand his/her continuing to blather on about, if you do not even open or read a text, you agree to buy something.  WR seems to think that doing nothing is agreeing to something.  Just because some hoodlum knows my phone number, does NOT give them permission to charge me.  YOU are wrong, no matter how many times you repeat yourself.  Just because AT&T allows it, does not make it right.  It makes AT&T appear to be in collusion with the perpetrators of the crimes. Now, we all understand that we can make a time consuming phone call to customer service to ASK AT&T to do something it should have done in the beginning.  We, who are paying AT&T rather large monthly payments already, do not appreciate your company's requirements to ask for a special service for them to do what they should be doing already.

full understand here, the issue is contractual, just because decide it is beneath yout stature to actually read teh terms and conditions of any binding agreement does not mean you are not responsible for them, no one fault but your own, no one else to blame. I understand contracts, terms and conditions, binding agreements and fair use policy. Never sign or agree to anything without full reading and understanding it

ATT is not my company, nor do I work for them,  I own and run a very successful business,  To the best of my knowledge you have never ben nor probably never be one of my customers. As far as "we who are paying att a rather large monthly payments"  - want to bet?

Words to live by in a situation like that TANSTAAFL, There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - if it has the word "free" in it, then you can bet it has conditions and charges associated with taking advantage of the "FREE" offer

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Wingrider, I'm not goimg to continue to argue this point.  The practice is wrong and you know it.  Your logic flawed and you are being argumentative for the sake of being arguementative. 

You show me where it is written in any at&t terms or disclosures that they can bill you without your knowledge.  Show me where it says they can send customers a text message saying that unless you reply back stop, that they can start billing customers $9.99 or any amount.

So let's see it.  Oh, you can't produce it?  Ya, I though so, because it doesn't exist.

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Wingrider  still does not understand the issue.  He STILL thinks we ASKED  for something for free.   We.  Never.  Even.  Opened. A. Text.     AT&T.    Is .   Claiming.   That.  Just. Because. Someone. Sends. You. A. Text. You. Have. To.  Buy. What. They. Are. Selling.   AT&T will even do their billing for them!!!

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Expert

• 

13K Messages

11 years ago

you can go to the following link to Manage any and all Mobile Purchases charged to your line of service, all carriers do the billing for those 3rd party companies not just AT&T. https://cingular-oac.qpass.com/oac/html/signin.do

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@PorterRanch wrote:

Wingrider, I'm not goimg to continue to argue this point.  The practice is wrong and you know it.  Your logic flawed and you are being argumentative for the sake of being arguementative. 

You show me where it is written in any at&t terms or disclosures that they can bill you without your knowledge.  Show me where it says they can send customers a text message saying that unless you reply back stop, that they can start billing customers $9.99 or any amount.

So let's see it.  Oh, you can't produce it?  Ya, I though so, because it doesn't exist.

you mean these

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/wireless-terms.jsp

read through the entire set of clicks, it is there

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Wingrider, no you find it and post it.   Don't dance around this.  

Expert

• 

13K Messages

11 years ago

@PorterRanch wrote:

Wingrider, no you find it and post it.   Don't dance around this.  

He is not, you are, the info is there, you dont want to search for it, thats is your problem not his. I feel unlazy at this time, here is your research for you.

6.5 Text, Instant Messaging And Picture/Video Messaging

Premium text and picture/video messages are charged at their stated rates

6.2 What Are The Intended Purposes Of The Wireless Data Service?

Permitted Activities. AT&T's wireless data services are intended to be used for the following permitted activities: (i) web browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access if permitted by your rate plan (for example, access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation); (d) uploading and downloading applications and content to and from the Internet or third-party application stores, and (e) using applications and content without excessively contributing to network congestion.

You agree to use AT&T's wireless data services only for these permitted activities.

3.3 What Information, Content, And Applications Are Provided By Third Parties?

3.3     What Information, Content, And Applications Are Provided By Third Parties?

Certain information, applications, or other content is provided by independently owned and operated content providers or service providers who are subject to change at any time without notice.

AT&T IS NOT A PUBLISHER OF THIRD-PARTY INFORMATION, APPLICATIONS, OR OTHER CONTENT AND IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY OPINIONS, ADVICE, STATEMENTS, OR OTHER INFORMATION, SERVICES OR GOODS PROVIDED BY THIRD PARTIES.

Third-party content or service providers may impose additional charges. Policies regarding intellectual property, privacy and other policies or terms of use may differ among AT&T's content or service providers and you are bound by such policies or terms when you visit their respective sites or use their services. It is your responsibility to read the rules or service agreements of each content provider or service provider.

Any information you involuntarily or voluntarily provide to third parties is governed by their policies or terms. The accuracy, appropriateness, content, completeness, timeliness, usefulness, security, safety, merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, transmission or correct sequencing of any application, information or downloaded data is not guaranteed or warranted by AT&T or any content providers or other third party. Delays or omissions may occur. Neither AT&T nor its content providers, service providers or other third parties shall be liable to you for any loss or injury arising out of or caused, in whole or in part, by your use of any information, application or content, or any information, application, or other content acquired through the Service.

You acknowledge that every business or personal decision, to some degree or another, represents an assumption of risk, and that neither AT&T nor its content and service providers or suppliers, in providing information, applications or other content or services, or access to information, applications, or other content underwrites, can underwrite, or assumes your risk in any manner whatsoever.

Originating Information Source

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

So where is the part about charging customers for unsolicited fees without their consent.

Expert

• 

13K Messages

11 years ago

Actually all the information posted above is in regards to that with the link to the source information to back up that the information is true and not falsified. but then again I felt unlazy to read and post the information that Wingrider was unlazy to post the link to originally.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.