Need your talk or text logs?
rockerdoc's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, February 28th, 2017 2:37 PM

AT&T New Unlimited vs. AT&T Unlimited Grandfathered

Hi All -

I've had the AT&T Unlimited Grandfathered plan for many many years now. I saw their new Unilimited plan and its features. Besides the obvious pros (tethering, lower price) and cons (still being capped at 22GB, which I do not get anywhere near - I usually average around 10), is there anything that I am missing as a con? This new plan would save me about $25/month.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

-DC

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@rockerdoc wrote:

I've had the AT&T Unlimited Grandfathered plan for many many years now. I saw their new Unilimited plan and its features. Besides the obvious pros (tethering, lower price) and cons (still being capped at 22GB, which I do not get anywhere near - I usually average around 10), is there anything that I am missing as a con? This new plan would save me about $25/month.

Plus roaming in Canada and Mexico.

Seems like a no brainer. The new plan starts Thursday.

Plus if you have direcTV or DirecTV Now (which starts at $35 a month) you can save $25 a month!

FYI, it's not capped at 22GB. If you reach 22GB if you are on a super busy tower you may be slowed down until the congestion stops and then you'll go back to normal. Some have used 100GB and never noticed a slowdown.

Guru

• 

691 Messages

7 years ago

@rockerdoc About the 22 GB threshold I can say this... I'm currently on the 'Newer' Unlimited plan that was previously paired with DTV service. I somehow hit 40 GB this month and never once experienced a slowdown or any network re-prioritization (could just be where I live/work)... I could still stream music, watch videos, multitask with internet searches, send/receive emails, etc. $25 is a pretty hefty savings for you and now you would get 10GB of tethering on AT&T's newest options coming out Thursday (3/2). Also, if you currently have either DTV or DTV Now you can receive a $25 loyalty credit for subscribing to those services which is an added perk.

Sure you've already reviewed the details.... but just in case:

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/unlimited-plan.html

Guru

• 

691 Messages

7 years ago

@Gary L forgot about the roaming into Mexico and Canada - definitely another great perk I left out. Thanks!

Employee

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

The new plan is great, don't hesitate to switch

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you all for your responses!

As I was evaluating the cost benefits, I realized something...I do have an FAN discount with my current rate plan setup. Will this "new" Unlimited plan take FAN discounts? (The discount is for state employees).

Best,

DC

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@rockerdoc wrote:

Thank you all for your responses!

As I was evaluating the cost benefits, I realized something...I do have an FAN discount with my current rate plan setup. Will this "new" Unlimited plan take FAN discounts? (The discount is for state employees).

Best,

DC

Nope.  You can only get military or veteran discounts.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

The only con I can see is that employer or FAN discounts are not applicable to the new plans. Because my grandfathered plan has a discount, it comes out to the same price as the Unlimited Plus. The only way I would get any savings would be if I switched to the slower speeds of Unlimited Choice. I was told by a representative that it's possible the newer plans will accept discounts in the future. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

There are other benefits to the new plus plan.  Especially If the cost is a break even.

hot spot up to 10 gigs and free roaming with your plan in Mexico and Canada unlimited talks and text

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I just switched from my grandfathered account to the new Unlimited Choice. I was able to keep my employee discount and I'm paying almost $100 less per month. That's significant. How could I not dump that clunker? The grandfathered plan was being taxed separately from my call/text plan, so I was being taxed twice as two "separate products". I asked specifically about the slow-downs over x-amount of Gigs and was told the same about a 22gig cap where "you might not even slow down based upon the amount of users on the tower at the same time."  I never seemed to exceed 8 gig ever, and there's plenty of wifi hotspots around to keep my cell data low anyway. 

Someone mentioned using the phone as a hotspot, which was never available on a grandfathered plan. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@SurlGurl

If you were told you could keep an employee discount, you may be in for an unpleasant surprise when the bill comes.   They can be applied for some perks, but not a discount on service.  

Verteran and military can get the discount. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.