Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 18, 2013
5:38:00 AM
View profile
AT&T Messages Not working?

I recently lost my phone and the only way I have been able to keep in contact with anyone is through the AT&T Messages app on the web. Whenever I go to the website (messages.att.net) there seems to be an error and it won't allow me to log in. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

I recently lost my phone and the only way I have been able to keep in contact with anyone is through the AT&T Messages app on the web. Whenever I go to the website (messages.att.net) there seems to be an error and it won't allow me to log in. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

AT&T Messages Not working?

146 replies
(9) Me too
(9) Me too
View all replies
(146)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 11:53:55 AM
(0)
Mentor

Does anyone know if any of the other carriers offer a similar service? After a week of AT&T messages being under maintenance, and this problem constantly happening, I think it's time to move on.

Does anyone know if any of the other carriers offer a similar service? After a week of AT&T messages being under maintenance, and this problem constantly happening, I think it's time to move on.

Re: AT&T Messages Not working?

31 of 147 (2,643 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 12:29:51 PM
(0)
Mentor
YoungSinema - I was thinking the same thing. I'll be happy to move my wireless, internet and Uverse at this point. I spend way too much money with AT&T for them not to get this resolved. Another carrier and cable company will be happy to take my money. The search is on for a carrier with similar options. Too bad, I've been an AT&T customer for 8+ years.
YoungSinema - I was thinking the same thing. I'll be happy to move my wireless, internet and Uverse at this point. I spend way too much money with AT&T for them not to get this resolved. Another carrier and cable company will be happy to take my money. The search is on for a carrier with similar options. Too bad, I've been an AT&T customer for 8+ years.

32 of 147 (2,629 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 12:36:16 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by mjdmbck on Jan 15, 2014 at 12:37:48 PM

Since it's been a week with the site down I called customer service and they had no information about the site and could not find any information on the status of the site.

Since it's been a week with the site down I called customer service and they had no information about the site and could not find any information on the status of the site.

[ Edited ]
33 of 147 (2,627 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 12:55:31 PM
(0)
Mentor

Call technical support.  Ask for a manager or team lead.  Do not talk to a normal support rep.  Don't waste your time.

I work for a software company.  When we have system issues we send out mass emails and provide our clients with a status.  We are $3M with 5 programmers.  AT&T I suspect is a little fatter but why they can't figure this out?  I question that they are even working on it.

Call technical support.  Ask for a manager or team lead.  Do not talk to a normal support rep.  Don't waste your time.

I work for a software company.  When we have system issues we send out mass emails and provide our clients with a status.  We are $3M with 5 programmers.  AT&T I suspect is a little fatter but why they can't figure this out?  I question that they are even working on it.

34 of 147 (2,623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 2:21:08 PM
(0)
Mentor

Every time they have this issue and I call, they NEVER know anything. They always think I'm talking about the app. This is really frustrating. This is the way I communicate when I'm in an area with coverage. And when I can text, I like to save/organize my important messages using the site.

Every time they have this issue and I call, they NEVER know anything. They always think I'm talking about the app. This is really frustrating. This is the way I communicate when I'm in an area with coverage. And when I can text, I like to save/organize my important messages using the site.

35 of 147 (2,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 7:31:29 PM
(0)
Mentor

Ive called a few times too and they say that they dont know anything either.  One lady told me, "Whats wrong with the site?! i havent heard anything it should be working fine" goes to show you how much they pay attention to the things going on at the company.  Other reps told me that they were getting updated daily on the status of the site and that the didnt know when the site would be back up and running but that they know that the app is working because they got that to start working already.  I actually had one rep actually tell me that shes actually super frustrated with it as well cause she says that she uses the website all the time and it hasnt been working for a while either. 

Tomorrow is day 8 and as it seems it is doubtful that it is going to be up and running tomorrow either.  I check it every morning and everynight never, and not to my surprise its never working

Ive called a few times too and they say that they dont know anything either.  One lady told me, "Whats wrong with the site?! i havent heard anything it should be working fine" goes to show you how much they pay attention to the things going on at the company.  Other reps told me that they were getting updated daily on the status of the site and that the didnt know when the site would be back up and running but that they know that the app is working because they got that to start working already.  I actually had one rep actually tell me that shes actually super frustrated with it as well cause she says that she uses the website all the time and it hasnt been working for a while either. 

Tomorrow is day 8 and as it seems it is doubtful that it is going to be up and running tomorrow either.  I check it every morning and everynight never, and not to my surprise its never working

36 of 147 (2,542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 10:44:57 PM
(0)
Mentor

Dimitry,

Didn't you say this would be back online like 5 or 6 days ago? What is going on here? The only reason I purchased a phone with you guys is for this feature, so really they should be crediting all of our services for the down periods. Everyone should start demanding credits for this in full.

Dimitry,

Didn't you say this would be back online like 5 or 6 days ago? What is going on here? The only reason I purchased a phone with you guys is for this feature, so really they should be crediting all of our services for the down periods. Everyone should start demanding credits for this in full.

Re: Messages.att.net under maintenance?

37 of 147 (2,505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 8:00:30 AM
(0)
Mentor

Obtained AT&T's "web assistance" phone number (877-312-5550).  I did not call them direct rather was transferred to allegedly advanced tech support when I called 800-331-0500 (pressed 0 then 0 to get directly to a human).

The person I talked to said there is not a case open nor is there a "known issue" but she didn't seem to know about messages.att.net.  How can you be a tech and not know about a product your company has.  Unbelieveable.

A case number has been opened (8 days later).  Expected resolution date January 30.  If I find anything out I'll post.  I encourage to try the phone numbers and just hammer them until they get this resolved.

Obtained AT&T's "web assistance" phone number (877-312-5550).  I did not call them direct rather was transferred to allegedly advanced tech support when I called 800-331-0500 (pressed 0 then 0 to get directly to a human).

The person I talked to said there is not a case open nor is there a "known issue" but she didn't seem to know about messages.att.net.  How can you be a tech and not know about a product your company has.  Unbelieveable.

A case number has been opened (8 days later).  Expected resolution date January 30.  If I find anything out I'll post.  I encourage to try the phone numbers and just hammer them until they get this resolved.

38 of 147 (2,416 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 8:46:44 AM
(0)
Mentor
I called, and they have no idea what I'm talking about. 8 days, and AT&T knows nothing!?
I called, and they have no idea what I'm talking about. 8 days, and AT&T knows nothing!?

39 of 147 (2,394 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 3:06:27 PM
(0)
Tutor

Is it possible that AT&T would not know the site is down for 8 days?  An AT&T employee has been posting on this issue since last week. 

Is it possible that AT&T would not know the site is down for 8 days?  An AT&T employee has been posting on this issue since last week. 

40 of 147 (2,252 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 8:11:44 PM
(0)
Tutor

The site is back up and working!

The site is back up and working!

41 of 147 (2,206 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 9:17:58 PM
(0)
Mentor

well it was like a tease.  it worked for a bit, and now its down again! LOL maybe another 8 days?!!?

well it was like a tease.  it worked for a bit, and now its down again! LOL maybe another 8 days?!!?

42 of 147 (2,180 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 9:19:37 PM
(0)
Tutor
Yeah seemed like it was up for about half hour...then same maintenance message Smiley Sad
Yeah seemed like it was up for about half hour...then same maintenance message Smiley Sad

43 of 147 (2,178 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 8:54:13 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Phil-101 on Jan 17, 2014 at 10:01:12 AM

[Please do not request case numbers or personal information from other members]

redcabo7 wrote:

redcabo7 wrote:

[Please do not request case numbers or personal information from other members]

redcabo7 wrote:

redcabo7 wrote:

[ Edited ]
44 of 147 (2,004 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 9:47:30 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Phil-101 on Jan 17, 2014 at 9:54:47 AM

That was a funny request cyrusb.  AT&T texted it to me and I deleted it so I had to call to get the case number since the website is down. Smiley Frustrated

Case # - [edited for privacy - please do not post personal information]

Have at it...FYI-per the rep, the case notes do not list a resolution date yet.  HOWEVER, the rep stated "the site went down on1/10/14 for maintenance to make changes that will protect customers from spamming and unauthorized use.  That appears to be all the information we currently have.  I can tell you that AT&T Messages is widely used, so I'm sure that we are working to get the web site back up as soon as possible."..you'll like this....he said "In the meantime, have you considered other messaging services that would also allow you to send messages from a web site?".."Google Voice would similarly allow you to send and receive text messages from their web site."  I thought that was funny but rejected the rep very quickly as it does not solve the problem.

Good luck all!

That was a funny request cyrusb.  AT&T texted it to me and I deleted it so I had to call to get the case number since the website is down. Smiley Frustrated

Case # - [edited for privacy - please do not post personal information]

Have at it...FYI-per the rep, the case notes do not list a resolution date yet.  HOWEVER, the rep stated "the site went down on1/10/14 for maintenance to make changes that will protect customers from spamming and unauthorized use.  That appears to be all the information we currently have.  I can tell you that AT&T Messages is widely used, so I'm sure that we are working to get the web site back up as soon as possible."..you'll like this....he said "In the meantime, have you considered other messaging services that would also allow you to send messages from a web site?".."Google Voice would similarly allow you to send and receive text messages from their web site."  I thought that was funny but rejected the rep very quickly as it does not solve the problem.

Good luck all!

[ Edited ]
45 of 147 (1,983 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 10:48:12 AM
(0)
Mentor

Wow. Can't believe that they recommened to use another service. Hilarious. Well, at least I got to take a peek at the website for a brief moment before it went back down.

Wow. Can't believe that they recommened to use another service. Hilarious. Well, at least I got to take a peek at the website for a brief moment before it went back down.

46 of 147 (1,954 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 10:48:49 AM
(0)
Tutor

Well it was up for an hour or two last night!

Well it was up for an hour or two last night!

47 of 147 (1,951 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 11:18:38 AM
(0)
Mentor

I just saw the login page, but once I logged in it went right back to maintenance.

I just saw the login page, but once I logged in it went right back to maintenance.

48 of 147 (1,941 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 11:31:24 AM
(0)
Mentor

FYI I just called in and got a $40 credit. I think we all should start calling in and demanding credits and maybe that will give them an encouragement to get this working for us again. The whole reason I stuck with ATT here is for this service so I can send and receive messages from my number while in the air. The fact that no one there even knows about this service is shocking!

FYI I just called in and got a $40 credit. I think we all should start calling in and demanding credits and maybe that will give them an encouragement to get this working for us again. The whole reason I stuck with ATT here is for this service so I can send and receive messages from my number while in the air. The fact that no one there even knows about this service is shocking!

49 of 147 (1,934 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 11:32:15 AM
(0)
Mentor

Looks like AT&T pulled down the case number.  Not sure how it is personal information rather a reference but none the less there is some information for everyone to work off of.  Keep us posted if there is anything anyone finds out.  Looks like AT&T rep jumped ship on this....what a shame.

Looks like AT&T pulled down the case number.  Not sure how it is personal information rather a reference but none the less there is some information for everyone to work off of.  Keep us posted if there is anything anyone finds out.  Looks like AT&T rep jumped ship on this....what a shame.

50 of 147 (1,935 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 11:48:52 AM
(0)
Mentor
What did you say to get the credit? Maybe I should have everyone I know with AT&T call and complain
What did you say to get the credit? Maybe I should have everyone I know with AT&T call and complain

51 of 147 (1,922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 12:20:19 PM
(0)
Mentor

The problem began on December 17th, it has been on a few brief moments since then, but for the majority offline. The reason I have att is for this service since I need to send and receive text messages from my phone and view voicemails when I don't have access to my phone since I fly a lot, and the fact that this is down hinders that. The only reason I have my phone with att is for this service, and the store showed me the service while selling me the phone. This service was sold under false pretences of having a service which is no longer being provided. They can't call it maintenance if they don't have a estimated time of it coming back. Maintenance is a scheduled thing where you have a set of tasks to perform. This is more they eliminated the service and maybe they are trying to introduce a new service but something else all together is happening. EVERYONE should call them, and we should call every day, so they maybe will start paying attention. They obviously don't read these forumns except to filter out things. An ATT rep emailed saying he was removing the case number. Real great of them to spend time on that instead of trying to get answers to the questions at hand.

The problem began on December 17th, it has been on a few brief moments since then, but for the majority offline. The reason I have att is for this service since I need to send and receive text messages from my phone and view voicemails when I don't have access to my phone since I fly a lot, and the fact that this is down hinders that. The only reason I have my phone with att is for this service, and the store showed me the service while selling me the phone. This service was sold under false pretences of having a service which is no longer being provided. They can't call it maintenance if they don't have a estimated time of it coming back. Maintenance is a scheduled thing where you have a set of tasks to perform. This is more they eliminated the service and maybe they are trying to introduce a new service but something else all together is happening. EVERYONE should call them, and we should call every day, so they maybe will start paying attention. They obviously don't read these forumns except to filter out things. An ATT rep emailed saying he was removing the case number. Real great of them to spend time on that instead of trying to get answers to the questions at hand.

52 of 147 (1,898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 1:00:33 PM
(0)
Community Manager
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Jan 17, 2014 at 1:04:44 PM

Sorry for the inconvenience.  We are working hard to restore your service as quickly as possible. Your messages continue to be stored in the network. You can still use Messages from your phone, and if you have an Android Tablet you can use the AT&T Messages tablet app which provides similar functionality to the website.

P.S. I apologize for the late response, we're paying close attention to this thread and as soon as I have any updates, I'll be sure to post.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Sorry for the inconvenience.  We are working hard to restore your service as quickly as possible. Your messages continue to be stored in the network. You can still use Messages from your phone, and if you have an Android Tablet you can use the AT&T Messages tablet app which provides similar functionality to the website.

P.S. I apologize for the late response, we're paying close attention to this thread and as soon as I have any updates, I'll be sure to post.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
53 of 147 (1,881 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 1:00:36 PM
(0)
Mentor

Simple, you want a credit for their product not being available for use.  What is the value to you.  Honestly to me, it's invaluable because the same reason for your use.  You have 2 choices, get a credit now but the site could be done for weeks more or wait til the end and get more....or do both.  Trust me when I say I am hitting them up for more.  This is absolutely poor customer service.

Simple, you want a credit for their product not being available for use.  What is the value to you.  Honestly to me, it's invaluable because the same reason for your use.  You have 2 choices, get a credit now but the site could be done for weeks more or wait til the end and get more....or do both.  Trust me when I say I am hitting them up for more.  This is absolutely poor customer service.

54 of 147 (1,880 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 11:01:17 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Phil-101 on Jan 18, 2014 at 6:55:19 AM

Dimitry,

Are the following not common practice:

1. When you are performing maintenance, schedule it and notify your customers when it will begin and when it will end.

2. If you are developing a new application, would you not develop this on a development server while leaving the production server alone, and then when done launch the new application minimizing the down time to customers?

So, if it is really true that you are working hard to bring the application back, I must ask:

1. Why did you guys not try as hard to make it not go down in the first place?

2. Not properly develop the application the first round through so this doesn't happen?

Aren't you guys related to Bell Labs? Don't you guys have the skill, experience, and discipline to make an application and keep it running? Even free services like google mail and yahoo mail don't have this happening. Your tech support says things like "well, you have to understand, a lot of people use this application", but are you trying to say more people use ATT messages than those free email services that manage to stay up? Did you not make $16.6 billion with a 28% profit margin? Wouldn't that mean that AT&T made $4,648,000,000.00 (or 4.6 billion) profit last year? Are you trying to say with 4.6 billion in profit, you guys can't figure out how to make a simple short messaging service system to work? How can you sit there with a straight face and say you guys are really working hard on this? Why don't you ask these people who are "working hard" on this when they might be done?

Don't you realize that even installing windows back in the 90's gave you a progress bar and an estimated time of completion? And that is a company that truly doesn't care about its customers. Why can't you just be honest and say that you guys wrote a really bad application and something bad happened and that the application is not down for maintenance but down for a complete re-write.

Honesty can get you a lot more compassion instead of sticking to this maintenance story you have been. I think everyone here would have some respect for you if you could do that. How dumb do you think your customers are? And if it still works on android phones, then obviously it isn't a problem with the server, it is a problem with the access to it or something else. So fine, keep giving us credits, the joke is on you.

[Please keep it courteous]

Dimitry,

Are the following not common practice:

1. When you are performing maintenance, schedule it and notify your customers when it will begin and when it will end.

2. If you are developing a new application, would you not develop this on a development server while leaving the production server alone, and then when done launch the new application minimizing the down time to customers?

So, if it is really true that you are working hard to bring the application back, I must ask:

1. Why did you guys not try as hard to make it not go down in the first place?

2. Not properly develop the application the first round through so this doesn't happen?

Aren't you guys related to Bell Labs? Don't you guys have the skill, experience, and discipline to make an application and keep it running? Even free services like google mail and yahoo mail don't have this happening. Your tech support says things like "well, you have to understand, a lot of people use this application", but are you trying to say more people use ATT messages than those free email services that manage to stay up? Did you not make $16.6 billion with a 28% profit margin? Wouldn't that mean that AT&T made $4,648,000,000.00 (or 4.6 billion) profit last year? Are you trying to say with 4.6 billion in profit, you guys can't figure out how to make a simple short messaging service system to work? How can you sit there with a straight face and say you guys are really working hard on this? Why don't you ask these people who are "working hard" on this when they might be done?

Don't you realize that even installing windows back in the 90's gave you a progress bar and an estimated time of completion? And that is a company that truly doesn't care about its customers. Why can't you just be honest and say that you guys wrote a really bad application and something bad happened and that the application is not down for maintenance but down for a complete re-write.

Honesty can get you a lot more compassion instead of sticking to this maintenance story you have been. I think everyone here would have some respect for you if you could do that. How dumb do you think your customers are? And if it still works on android phones, then obviously it isn't a problem with the server, it is a problem with the access to it or something else. So fine, keep giving us credits, the joke is on you.

[Please keep it courteous]

[ Edited ]
55 of 147 (1,732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 11:06:43 PM
(0)
Mentor

Also, would you mind commenting on why the application keeps coming back for an hour here and there and then goes away again?

Also, would you mind commenting on why the application keeps coming back for an hour here and there and then goes away again?

56 of 147 (1,730 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 4:36:33 AM
(0)
Mentor
Cyrusb-very well put.

Think about the millions of people who use the site, have not called AT&T or who have not found this forum. What would be fun is taking this to FOX News Problem Solvers. Just give them this forum, talk to a couple of customers and then let's see how quickly this gets resolved. Trust me when I say an AT&T exec's head would be on a platter as this would lower their stock prices very fast. People don't like to lose money and shareholders would not put up with it.

Like you say, joke is on them but this can become even more interesting for AT&T. Just keep on trying us.....
Cyrusb-very well put.

Think about the millions of people who use the site, have not called AT&T or who have not found this forum. What would be fun is taking this to FOX News Problem Solvers. Just give them this forum, talk to a couple of customers and then let's see how quickly this gets resolved. Trust me when I say an AT&T exec's head would be on a platter as this would lower their stock prices very fast. People don't like to lose money and shareholders would not put up with it.

Like you say, joke is on them but this can become even more interesting for AT&T. Just keep on trying us.....

57 of 147 (1,707 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 9:37:55 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Taylarie on Jan 20, 2014 at 8:24:50 AM

I have also contacted AT&T and i have never seen such poor customer service in all my life. One rep will know about it, the next one is absolutely clueless its unreal. I just got done talking to someone for the millionth time-- as i told her what was wrong, she asks if im having coverage issues haha and of course the typical "what error message are you getting". after i told her again! she tells me that "the website is working perfectly Smiley Happy "

Ma. Donna {Personal content removed}: Incase there are issues like what you have mentioned our web support specialist make sure to always fix than in a maximum of 30minutes

She told me only a max. of $10 credit would be allowed. when i asked why she said because there is no error in out billing system. 

haha whatever!! they obviously do not train their employees well enough nor do they care.

I have also contacted AT&T and i have never seen such poor customer service in all my life. One rep will know about it, the next one is absolutely clueless its unreal. I just got done talking to someone for the millionth time-- as i told her what was wrong, she asks if im having coverage issues haha and of course the typical "what error message are you getting". after i told her again! she tells me that "the website is working perfectly Smiley Happy "

Ma. Donna {Personal content removed}: Incase there are issues like what you have mentioned our web support specialist make sure to always fix than in a maximum of 30minutes

She told me only a max. of $10 credit would be allowed. when i asked why she said because there is no error in out billing system. 

haha whatever!! they obviously do not train their employees well enough nor do they care.

[ Edited ]
58 of 147 (1,644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 11:50:33 AM
(0)
Mentor

I agree, someone please submit this to fox problem solver. Let's get this fixed once and for all. Does anyone know if Verizon's web messaging service has the same capability as AT&T's? I think this would constitute a breach of contract and would allow us to switch ship since they are refusing to fix the service.

I agree, someone please submit this to fox problem solver. Let's get this fixed once and for all. Does anyone know if Verizon's web messaging service has the same capability as AT&T's? I think this would constitute a breach of contract and would allow us to switch ship since they are refusing to fix the service.

59 of 147 (1,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 12:08:10 PM
(0)
Mentor

The login page keeps coming up for me, but whenever I try to login I get the maintenance screen. Are others experiencing this now?

The login page keeps coming up for me, but whenever I try to login I get the maintenance screen. Are others experiencing this now?

60 of 147 (1,902 Views)