Need your talk or text logs?
drizzo's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, April 13th, 2016 2:15 PM

AT & T Limit of 10 people on text messaging

This obviously has not be changed. It is very frustrating because we have an elderly family member multiple people are assisting and it would be very helpful to update as care is given. We have a minimum of 11 people that need to know what is happening with this person so we can adjust our schedules or how we care for him when we are there. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @drizzo!

Thanks for posting! I love to hear that you all are working together to care for your loved one during these imperative times.

I apologize that the group messaging limit is affecting your communication—this limit is intended to prevent spam, and we do not see that changing in the foreseeable future. The great news is, there are some other alternatives for mass communication:
1.       Start an email message to 11+ users, ask your family members to sync their email address with their mobile phones, and turn on email notifications.
2.       Choose a third-party messaging app that allows mass messaging, such as WhatsApp, Viber, or Google Hangouts. Communicate with your family members that this is the platform you will be using for your group message.
3.       Create a shared calendar that can be accessed and updated by all family members. Family members can sign up for specific days/timeslots, and everyone will be able to view it as needed. You all can also put your work/personal schedules on the calendar, so others will be aware when you aren’t available for care.
4.       Lastly, but probably the least efficient, would be to divide your family into two text message groups. Each group would have a “team leader,” which will communicate with the other team leader to make sure important messages are getting to both groups.

Hope this helps!
~Tim J AT&T Social Media Manager

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

8 years ago

That is not a solution but a work around to a horrible limit put in place by AT&T. We should not have to use other third party programs or apps to utilize the basic feature of group texts in our account. AT&T is the only carrier that seems to have a limit that low. There are other ways you can help cut down on spam such as allowing customers to submit numbers they feel are spamming them then have those numbers blocked rather than limiting your customers ability to use your service.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

The limit has been in place for a long time and probably will never change. Is it an archaic limit? That's subjective I suppose but then again SMS as a technology is being supplanted by much better alternatives. Group messaging itself is fraught with issues because when you start mixing in intercarrier group MMS involving multiple SMSCs there will be delivery failure or delayed delivery, a member of the group may not get some messages, etc. If a group message between two different carriers fails it ends up being a back and forth pointing match as to who is at fault.

If 10 users does not fit your needs I understand the frustration but this limit will more than likely remain in place. I give the same advice to everyone. Go with what fits your needs if this is a feature that is of critical importance.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

This is the proverbial straw.   

The issue is not that there is a limit.  The issue is that the limit is too low and means that communication with even small groups is handicapped by nothing more than choice of provider. Spam, as a problem, isn't a message to 10 people, it is a messge to 10,000 or millions and for that reason this limit appears ridiculous and arbitrary.

Based on the replies above there is not real option but to exercise that choice of provider.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

Couldn't you just send an e-mail to 11+ people you need to contact? I bet if you ask, some would prefer it that way...

I (personally) don't want a chat with 5 plus people, someone asks a question and my phone and wrist are vibrating/dinging with a bunch of clarifying questions, then all the answers, and then a bunch of "thanks" and "okays" again interrupting what I'm doing. People resending their mispelled texts and so on, someone coming in late and asking what's going on.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

@Alcrpntr

I'd recommend the Whatsapp application. Group messages can be up to 256 people and it is available for every platform. Another feature we like is we can text our son in Australia and neither of us gets hit with a charge. (He pays 50 cents for every text we send using the ATT native messaging)

I know that is the answer you want to hear, but it is certainly a workable alternative.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

This is not a solution!! Nearly impossible to implement. People with other phone companies do not have this problem. It is pig headed for AT&T to keep the limit of 10. The limit should be increased to at least fifteen or twenty.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

terrible ideas ATT. You dance around the original reason..SPAM TEXT messaging is a thing of the past and is not stopped by this absurd limit. If I was spamming my contacts or otherwise, i could easliy circumvent your limit by sending multiple threads. You don't realize that this hurts your customer base more than it protects it. If you truly were concerned with spam, you would develop spam recognition (like any major email provider) and divert the texts to a seperate folder rather than just putting an arbitrary limit. 

The reality is, you don't want to raise the limit due to traffic on your network. You nickle and dime us (from our money or our time in this case) to imporve the speeds of your network by such small margins, it really can't be worth it. 

All we want as paying customers to have the ablilty to choose whether or not we want this limit, or to be able to set our own limits or at the very least for you to look at the data and set a new limit. I am sure if you polled your clients, we could give you a good place to start. (20 or 30 would be nice) that way you are at least trying to appear as if you are listening to your clients. Driving them to 3rd party apps is not only bad for your business, it's bad for customers. since those apps aren't as secure as your texting and obviously not as convenient (further, we would have to have our friends and familes do the same which is of course insane) 

please listen, and make some changes to this outdated "policy" otherwise, you will loose us

Tutor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I'm sorry but this is a terrible recommendation. You are asking someone to ask 11+ other people to make a change because one person myself has an issue with a carrier limitation. 

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

I recently have found an issue with AT&T messaging that I can't text more than 10 people. I have been reading these blogs and find that customer service doesn't want to hear the customers complaints.

I found out the hard way as I am a member of a SWAT Team and for the first initial call are commander sends a group text to tell the team a heads up we are being called out. When I tried to respond to the text it kept coming back "message failed". I kept attempting to re send and was getting the same message in return. Meanwhile everyone else on the team who has other carriers was marking enroute to station or the scene.

I find it very disappointing that AT&T has told their customers to get an app to fix their problem. Even if they would have customers pay an extra fee to correct this inconvenience as the explanations that have been given are unexceptable.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.