Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Aug 21, 2013
9:31:03 PM
View profile
using an hdmi switch -

using an hdmi switch - i am now on my third HDMI switch; using a Directv DVR, a ROKU player , a Sony playstation and my Panasonic Plasma HDTV.  The ROKU and the Playstation work fine, but when my DVR is connected thru the HDMI switch, I get no audio on my Directv programming. Any suggestions?

using an hdmi switch - i am now on my third HDMI switch; using a Directv DVR, a ROKU player , a Sony playstation and my Panasonic Plasma HDTV.  The ROKU and the Playstation work fine, but when my DVR is connected thru the HDMI switch, I get no audio on my Directv programming. Any suggestions?

using an hdmi switch -

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 3:01:24 AM
(0)
Expert

For starters, disconnect the switch and connect the DVR HDMI directly to the TV.  That will isolate whether it's the switch or something else.  If it works properly, I'd consider connecting the Roku and Playstation to a different TV input and doing away with the switch.

For starters, disconnect the switch and connect the DVR HDMI directly to the TV.  That will isolate whether it's the switch or something else.  If it works properly, I'd consider connecting the Roku and Playstation to a different TV input and doing away with the switch.

Re: using an hdmi switch -

2 of 13 (137 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 4:27:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Which model of switch is it?

Which model of switch is it?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 13 (137 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 6:29:15 AM
(0)
Tutor

It of course works without the switch. I have tried 3 different switches - same result. Eliminating the switch puts me back where I was - disconnecting one component to use another. Since the TV is across the room from the receiver, that would mean running new cables up the inside of the wall, across the ceiling and down the other wall - something I'm trying to avoid.

I'm just trying to find out if anyone knows of an Hdmi switch that will work in conjunction with thes devices and a directv HR34/700 DVR.

I have used a Kinivo 301 & 501 switch and a Auvio 4 & 1 switch

It of course works without the switch. I have tried 3 different switches - same result. Eliminating the switch puts me back where I was - disconnecting one component to use another. Since the TV is across the room from the receiver, that would mean running new cables up the inside of the wall, across the ceiling and down the other wall - something I'm trying to avoid.

I'm just trying to find out if anyone knows of an Hdmi switch that will work in conjunction with thes devices and a directv HR34/700 DVR.

I have used a Kinivo 301 & 501 switch and a Auvio 4 & 1 switch

4 of 13 (137 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 6:30:41 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have tried a Kinivo 301 & 501 and an Auvio 4&1

I have tried a Kinivo 301 & 501 and an Auvio 4&1

5 of 13 (137 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 9:10:11 PM
(0)
Scholar

As a last resort have you tried connecting your DVR using component cables (red-blue-green)?  Supposedly the quality is equal to that of an HDMI cable. 

As a last resort have you tried connecting your DVR using component cables (red-blue-green)?  Supposedly the quality is equal to that of an HDMI cable. 

6 of 13 (137 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 3:03:54 AM
(0)
Expert

That was covered (and apparently ignored) in post number two.

That was covered (and apparently ignored) in post number two.

7 of 13 (137 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2013 9:58:59 AM
(0)
Contributor

fitz,

I have a Panasonic plasma as well and I'm only using a 2 way switch (Roku and Direct TV DVR). Roku works fine... have troubleshot the cables, the switch...etc. Basically eliminated every option but the direct tv box... Thinking it must be something with the direct tv software... Have you had any more luck?

fitz,

I have a Panasonic plasma as well and I'm only using a 2 way switch (Roku and Direct TV DVR). Roku works fine... have troubleshot the cables, the switch...etc. Basically eliminated every option but the direct tv box... Thinking it must be something with the direct tv software... Have you had any more luck?

8 of 13 (137 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2013 11:31:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Which switch?

Which switch?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 13 (137 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2013 11:41:10 AM
(0)
Contributor

Just a basic Auvio 2-way HD switch. Model 15-317 (I think)

Just a basic Auvio 2-way HD switch. Model 15-317 (I think)

10 of 13 (137 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2013 12:01:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Probably does not work with the HDCP copy protection on the Genie. there are lots of reports of this issue. You need a switch that will pass HDCP,

Probably does not work with the HDCP copy protection on the Genie. there are lots of reports of this issue. You need a switch that will pass HDCP,

11 of 13 (137 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2013 12:29:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Exactly, the key is a switch that is HDCP complaint.  the link below provides an example

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=4088&seq=1&format=3#specif...

Exactly, the key is a switch that is HDCP complaint.  the link below provides an example

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=4088&seq=1&format=3#specification

12 of 13 (137 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2013 4:45:22 PM
(0)
Tutor

no more luck; I've back-burnered it for the time being.

no more luck; I've back-burnered it for the time being.

13 of 13 (137 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments