Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted May 11, 2012
1:14:38 PM
missing local channels on DTV /TIVO receiver

Many people with old DTV / TIVO boxes have been losing their local channels supposedly because DTV changed to a guide format that is only compatible with the 6.4 version of the operating system software. I lost my local channels around April 1st and filed a complaint with Directv corporate headquarters. Since that date a DTV representative has contacted me every week with an updated status. Last week they told me software updates are being re-enabled for anyone that didn’t have the 6.4 software version.  They said in order to get the update, you need to have the receiver connected to a working phone line and initiate a phone call by going to the Directv menu / read new messages and settings / settings / phone / connect to dvr service now / and then restart the receiver after the phone call is complete. If the Directv menu / read new messages and settings / system information / display shows you have version 6.4, then your local channels should return. Today, I called the Directv representative and told her I tried this for a week and it didn’t work and that as far as I know based on what’s been posted on all the forums, it’s not working for anyone else either. She said she would flag this as urgent and forward this information up the line.

I also told her that someone, probably with system access, was deleting entire threads (as opposed to offensive or inappropriate postings) on this forum that pertain to this problem and that it wasn’t helpful as the threads let people know they are not alone in having this problem and contain a lot of useful information about options and what doesn’t work (like paying $50 dollars for a service call).  In the event this thread / post gets deleted, I suggest anyone having this problem check out related posts at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7 and http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=194

Many people with old DTV / TIVO boxes have been losing their local channels supposedly because DTV changed to a guide format that is only compatible with the 6.4 version of the operating system software. I lost my local channels around April 1st and filed a complaint with Directv corporate headquarters. Since that date a DTV representative has contacted me every week with an updated status. Last week they told me software updates are being re-enabled for anyone that didn’t have the 6.4 software version.  They said in order to get the update, you need to have the receiver connected to a working phone line and initiate a phone call by going to the Directv menu / read new messages and settings / settings / phone / connect to dvr service now / and then restart the receiver after the phone call is complete. If the Directv menu / read new messages and settings / system information / display shows you have version 6.4, then your local channels should return. Today, I called the Directv representative and told her I tried this for a week and it didn’t work and that as far as I know based on what’s been posted on all the forums, it’s not working for anyone else either. She said she would flag this as urgent and forward this information up the line.

I also told her that someone, probably with system access, was deleting entire threads (as opposed to offensive or inappropriate postings) on this forum that pertain to this problem and that it wasn’t helpful as the threads let people know they are not alone in having this problem and contain a lot of useful information about options and what doesn’t work (like paying $50 dollars for a service call).  In the event this thread / post gets deleted, I suggest anyone having this problem check out related posts at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7 and http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=194

missing local channels on DTV /TIVO receiver

253 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(253)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2012 2:27:38 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thank you for the update.

Thank you for the update.

Re: missing local channels on DTV /TIVO receiver

2 of 254 (133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2012 5:36:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Almost every one of the TiVo-related threads has descended into abuse or other comments which are against the terms and conditions of the forum, which I assume is why the moderator has deleted them (the moderator is from DirecTV, and none of us work for DirecTV).

Almost every one of the TiVo-related threads has descended into abuse or other comments which are against the terms and conditions of the forum, which I assume is why the moderator has deleted them (the moderator is from DirecTV, and none of us work for DirecTV).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 254 (133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2012 10:39:45 AM
(0)
Teacher

Agreed!

If you need to field test, I could be available. I've got two 'guinea pigs' to use- contact me.

Staying tuned. lol.

Agreed!

If you need to field test, I could be available. I've got two 'guinea pigs' to use- contact me.

Staying tuned. lol.

4 of 254 (133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2012 2:06:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

OK ... finally some news from our DirecTV contacts. Hopefully this gets things moving in a positive direction. v6.4a software IS available via Tivo phone calls, so your boxes SHOULD be updating. DirecTV has requested that you provide the following information here to help them work with Tivo to troubleshoot why you're not getting the v6.4a update.

• Your Tivo model number?
  • What Tivo software version do you currently have?
  • Your Tivo Service Number (TSN)? .... Should be in the system information display.
  • Does your Tivo have any "modifications" to its original software?
  • TV brand & model number?
  • How is your Tivo connected to your TV?
  • If you have an HR10-250 HD Tivo, what video output resolution(s) are you using?

OK ... finally some news from our DirecTV contacts. Hopefully this gets things moving in a positive direction. v6.4a software IS available via Tivo phone calls, so your boxes SHOULD be updating. DirecTV has requested that you provide the following information here to help them work with Tivo to troubleshoot why you're not getting the v6.4a update.

• Your Tivo Service Number (TSN)? .... Should be in the system information display.
  • If you have an HR10-250 HD Tivo, what video output resolution(s) are you using?
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 254 (133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2012 2:07:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

DirecTV confirmed that the 6.4a software update is on the stream.  they are asking folks that are not able to download this software by having  the TIVO dial in to post back with your Tivo Service Number (TSN) and the model number of the receiver in question

DirecTV confirmed that the 6.4a software update is on the stream.  they are asking folks that are not able to download this software by having  the TIVO dial in to post back with your Tivo Service Number (TSN) and the model number of the receiver in question

6 of 254 (133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2012 3:01:23 PM
(0)
Teacher

Should it happen right away or require several rounds of call/reboot?

Should it happen right away or require several rounds of call/reboot?

7 of 254 (133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2012 3:05:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

if the software is in fact on the stream, it should happen right away.  but a reboot wouldn't hurt.

if the software is in fact on the stream, it should happen right away.  but a reboot wouldn't hurt.

8 of 254 (133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2012 5:33:00 PM
(0)
Tutor
Quote: Originally Posted by litzdog911 

• Your Tivo model number?  Hughes SD-DVR40
  • What Tivo software version do you currently have? 6.3e-01-2-151
  • Your Tivo Service Number (TSN)? .... Should be in the system information display. 351-0000-A0A1-31DD
  • Does your Tivo have any "modifications" to its original software? No
  • TV brand & model number? Hughes SD-DVR40
  • How is your Tivo connected to your TV? Coax
  • If you have an HR10-250 HD Tivo, what video output resolution(s) are you using? n/a

BTW, still shows last successful service data download as 5/2.

Quote: Originally Posted by litzdog911 

• Your Tivo model number?  Hughes SD-DVR40
  • What Tivo software version do you currently have? 6.3e-01-2-151
  • Your Tivo Service Number (TSN)? .... Should be in the system information display. 351-0000-A0A1-31DD
  • Does your Tivo have any "modifications" to its original software? No
  • TV brand & model number? Hughes SD-DVR40
  • If you have an HR10-250 HD Tivo, what video output resolution(s) are you using? n/a

BTW, still shows last successful service data download as 5/2.

9 of 254 (133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2012 6:21:54 PM
(0)
Tutor

^Just realized the 2nd "Brand/Model Number" was for my TV -- wasn't expecting that.  Anyway, mine's a standard def. 27" Sanyo VIZON, model # HT27546.

^Just realized the 2nd "Brand/Model Number" was for my TV -- wasn't expecting that.  Anyway, mine's a standard def. 27" Sanyo VIZON, model # HT27546.

10 of 254 (133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2012 6:23:23 PM
(0)
Mentor

i didnt know hughes made a tv

11 of 254 (133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2012 6:23:50 PM
(0)
Mentor

nice

nice

12 of 254 (133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2012 6:39:10 PM
(0)
Tutor
Quote: Originally Posted by viclovr 

LOL, yeah, I wondered why it wanted my receiver model twice, then looked at it rightthe 2nd time around.Tongue out  Just wasn't looking for any questions about the equipment I have connected post receiver. 

Really excited to see some new goings on!

Quote: Originally Posted by viclovr 

LOL, yeah, I wondered why it wanted my receiver model twice, then looked at it rightthe 2nd time around.Tongue out  Just wasn't looking for any questions about the equipment I have connected post receiver. 

Really excited to see some new goings on!

13 of 254 (133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2012 7:03:05 PM
(0)
Teacher

Nothing yet on my two:

• Your Tivo model number?  R10
  • What Tivo software version do you currently have?  6.1 and 6.3
  • Your Tivo Service Number (TSN)?  521-0001-908F-7DC1  and  521-0001-90D8-FC75
  • Does your Tivo have any "modifications" to its original software?  No
  • TV brand & model number?  Vizio lcd  and old JVC tube. Don't have model #'s yet...
  • How is your Tivo connected to your TV?   coax
  • Nothing yet on my two:

• What Tivo software version do you currently have?  6.1 and 6.3
  • Your Tivo Service Number (TSN)?  521-0001-908F-7DC1  and  521-0001-90D8-FC75
  • TV brand & model number?  Vizio lcd  and old JVC tube. Don't have model #'s yet...
  • Re: missing local channels on DTV /TIVO receiver

14 of 254 (133 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 12, 2012 11:44:27 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

Information provided to DirecTV.  Stay tuned.  

Information provided to DirecTV.  Stay tuned.  

15 of 254 (133 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 13, 2012 5:51:50 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

R10

521-0001-9032-A976

Thanks

R10

521-0001-9032-A976

Thanks

16 of 254 (133 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 13, 2012 6:08:41 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert
    Quote: Originally Posted by hrsala 

R10

521-0001-9032-A976

Thanks

please post this info using the format on post #11 so that we can pass this on to our DirecTV contacts.

Quote: Originally Posted by hrsala 

R10

521-0001-9032-A976

Thanks

please post this info using the format on post #11 so that we can pass this on to our DirecTV contacts.

17 of 254 (133 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 13, 2012 6:13:03 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

I have the same problem.

Please send us updates, or just as easy, give us a download we can update the unit ourselves.

I have been trying to update for several weeks now and it connects, but does not upgrade at all. Still the same version.
    Thanks for any help provided.

• What Tivo software version do you currently have?  6.1-01-2-521
  • Your Tivo Service Number (TSN)?  521-0001-9045-852A
  • TV brand & model number?  Sylvania 32 inch flat. Not sure of model number. It is blocked by the wall mounting bracket.
  • I have the same problem.

Please send us updates, or just as easy, give us a download we can update the unit ourselves.

I have been trying to update for several weeks now and it connects, but does not upgrade at all. Still the same version.
    Thanks for any help provided.

• What Tivo software version do you currently have?  6.1-01-2-521
  • Your Tivo Service Number (TSN)?  521-0001-9045-852A
  • TV brand & model number?  Sylvania 32 inch flat. Not sure of model number. It is blocked by the wall mounting bracket.
  • Re: missing local channels on DTV /TIVO receiver

18 of 254 (133 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 14, 2012 6:35:01 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Forgot the additional info.

No modifications

Coax connection

Zenith tv

Forgot the additional info.

No modifications

Coax connection

Zenith tv

19 of 254 (133 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 14, 2012 7:55:53 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

I will try again.

• Your Tivo model number? R-10
    • What Tivo software version do you currently have? 6.3
    • Your Tivo Service Number (TSN)? .... Should be in the system information display. 521-0001-9045-852A
    • Does your Tivo have any "modifications" to its original software? No, never.
    • TV brand & model number?   Zenith 

I will try again.

• Your Tivo model number? R-10
    • What Tivo software version do you currently have? 6.3
    • Your Tivo Service Number (TSN)? .... Should be in the system information display. 521-0001-9045-852A
    • Does your Tivo have any "modifications" to its original software? No, never.
    • TV brand & model number?   Zenith 

20 of 254 (133 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 14, 2012 1:49:51 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Missing local channels & not getting 6.4a update:

• Your Tivo model number? - SAMSUNG SIR-S4080R
    • What Tivo software version do you currently have? – 6.3e – 01—2-381
    • Your Tivo Service Number (TSN)? - 381-0000-EO5D-BF78
    • Does your Tivo have any "modifications" to its original software? - NO
    • TV brand & model number? – SAMSUNG SIR-S4080R
    • How is your Tivo connected to your TV? - COAX

Missing local channels & not getting 6.4a update:

• TV brand & model number? – SAMSUNG SIR-S4080R
    • How is your Tivo connected to your TV? - COAX

21 of 254 (133 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 14, 2012 1:58:32 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Missing local channels & not getting v6.4a update:

• TV brand & model number? –  SONY – KV-32XBR48

How is your Tivo connected to your TV? - COAX

Missing local channels & not getting v6.4a update:

• TV brand & model number? –  SONY – KV-32XBR48

How is your Tivo connected to your TV? - COAX

22 of 254 (133 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 14, 2012 7:28:18 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

Thanks to your inputs, it looks like Tivo has figured out the problem ....

Here's what we know at this time. 

1. Thanks to your help the issue has been identified. The download is in the stream but there is an authentication issue preventing some models from receiving it.

2. DirecTV is working with TiVo to resolve.

3. No official ETA but a fix is expected soon (can't commit a time frame yet)

4. Outside of the phone connection there should be no need for users to take additional steps.

Hopefully they'll get it fixed soon. Stay tuned.

Thanks to your inputs, it looks like Tivo has figured out the problem ....

Here's what we know at this time. 

1. Thanks to your help the issue has been identified. The download is in the stream but there is an authentication issue preventing some models from receiving it.

2. DirecTV is working with TiVo to resolve.

3. No official ETA but a fix is expected soon (can't commit a time frame yet)

4. Outside of the phone connection there should be no need for users to take additional steps.

Hopefully they'll get it fixed soon. Stay tuned.

23 of 254 (133 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 14, 2012 10:47:43 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Many thanks for your help which is much appreciated.

However, I am skeptical of the following piece of information given to you by DTV as IMO the problem is not " an authentication issue preventing some modelsfrom receiving it." but it is with all modelsas not one person has been able to get the download.

I am hoping for the best but don't have high expectations.

Thanks again fortaking your time to try help resolve this issue.

However, I am skeptical of the following piece of information given to you by DTV as IMO the problem is not " an authentication issue preventing some modelsfrom receiving it." but it is with all modelsas not one person has been able to get the download.

24 of 254 (133 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 14, 2012 11:28:23 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert
    Quote: Originally Posted by kencrane 

I tend to agree with you. But it's likely that folks who didn't have this "authentication problem" never needed to check forums, so we might not know for sure.  At any rate, let's keep our fingers crossed for a speedy resolution.  

Quote: Originally Posted by kencrane 

I tend to agree with you. But it's likely that folks who didn't have this "authentication problem" never needed to check forums, so we might not know for sure.  At any rate, let's keep our fingers crossed for a speedy resolution.  

25 of 254 (133 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 15, 2012 5:29:42 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

Yes, I tend to agree with you also.

Yes, I tend to agree with you also.

26 of 254 (133 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 15, 2012 7:00:18 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

Nice to see some action though- Thanks for the updates!

Nice to see some action though- Thanks for the updates!

27 of 254 (133 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 15, 2012 9:05:19 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Okay - the good news - I provided my DVR / TIVO information (HR10-250) to Litzdog911 and when I forced the phone call this morning, it lasted only a few seconds and the call status came back showing “pending restart” as opposed to “successful”. After forcing the restart, the system came back during the power up message saying a service update was in progress and may take up to an hour. It took about 15 minutes and when it came back up, the system information display showed the software version was now 6.4a. The bad news - not all of the local channels came back. Those that had been totally missing from the guide are back (in my case in Denver 6,12,31) Those that had been in the guide but produced a blank screen (4,7,9 - network channels) were not and a re-authorization did not solve the problem. The original guidance from Directv was that if this happened after the update, to wait 4 hours and then go to the “restart or reset system” menu and select the “clear program information and to do list” option which will require re-entering season pass information. Since I didn’t have season pass information on this receiver that I cared about, I went ahead and did it. It took about 2 hours for the receiver to complete the task and when it finished, all the local channels returned. Also, as near as I can tell, my season pass manager is still intact (the selections and to do list seem normal) but if it still works or not is another issue.

Regarding comments about hacked boxes having a flag set to not allow software updates, this receiver has a replacement hard drive from DVRupgrade that was on 6.3e and was always hooked up to a phone line. In this case, it didn’t have network connectivity (PTVnet was not installed) so I’m assuming the flag wasn’t set since the update worked. 

Okay - the good news - I provided my DVR / TIVO information (HR10-250) to Litzdog911 and when I forced the phone call this morning, it lasted only a few seconds and the call status came back showing “pending restart” as opposed to “successful”. After forcing the restart, the system came back during the power up message saying a service update was in progress and may take up to an hour. It took about 15 minutes and when it came back up, the system information display showed the software version was now 6.4a. The bad news - not all of the local channels came back. Those that had been totally missing from the guide are back (in my case in Denver 6,12,31) Those that had been in the guide but produced a blank screen (4,7,9 - network channels) were not and a re-authorization did not solve the problem. The original guidance from Directv was that if this happened after the update, to wait 4 hours and then go to the “restart or reset system” menu and select the “clear program information and to do list” option which will require re-entering season pass information. Since I didn’t have season pass information on this receiver that I cared about, I went ahead and did it. It took about 2 hours for the receiver to complete the task and when it finished, all the local channels returned. Also, as near as I can tell, my season pass manager is still intact (the selections and to do list seem normal) but if it still works or not is another issue.

Regarding comments about hacked boxes having a flag set to not allow software updates, this receiver has a replacement hard drive from DVRupgrade that was on 6.3e and was always hooked up to a phone line. In this case, it didn’t have network connectivity (PTVnet was not installed) so I’m assuming the flag wasn’t set since the update worked. 

28 of 254 (133 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 15, 2012 9:11:10 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

Great to hear, wishbone!!!

Great to hear, wishbone!!!

29 of 254 (133 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 15, 2012 9:51:49 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

Good news here too- forced a phone call and rebooted my 6.1 box, got a message about a service update, it rebooted and now showing one hour to finish like Wishbone. Starting the reboot process on the 6.3, installing service update. Will report back later.

Good news here too- forced a phone call and rebooted my 6.1 box, got a message about a service update, it rebooted and now showing one hour to finish like Wishbone. Starting the reboot process on the 6.3, installing service update. Will report back later.

30 of 254 (133 Views)