Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Jul 27, 2013
2:18:17 PM
audio but no video & video but no audio

For over a month I've had a issue with either having audio but no video or video with no audio. I normally fix this by resetting receiver but later on it comes back. DTV sent a new receiver that worked ok for a while but it returned.

For over a month I've had a issue with either having audio but no video or video with no audio. I normally fix this by resetting receiver but later on it comes back. DTV sent a new receiver that worked ok for a while but it returned.

audio but no video & video but no audio

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 2:38:46 PM
(0)
Expert

We need to know what the model number (insides card door) of the receiver is.  How is the receiver connected to the TV?  Is there any audio system installed?  If so, how is that connected? 

We need to know what the model number (insides card door) of the receiver is.  How is the receiver connected to the TV?  Is there any audio system installed?  If so, how is that connected? 

Re: audio but no video & video but no audio

2 of 14 (143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 3:23:03 PM
(0)
Scholar

I have a HR24-100, connected by 1 HDMI cable. I have changed input on tv, but it doesn't matter which input I use.

>

I have a HR24-100, connected by 1 HDMI cable. I have changed input on tv, but it doesn't matter which input I use.

>

3 of 14 (143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 4:09:43 PM
(0)
Expert

I'd guess you are having HDMI issues.  If you have another cable you might try that.  Better yet if you have a set of component cables try those.  If the problem disappears then you know the HDMI is the culprit.

I'd guess you are having HDMI issues.  If you have another cable you might try that.  Better yet if you have a set of component cables try those.  If the problem disappears then you know the HDMI is the culprit.

4 of 14 (143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 4:25:27 PM
(0)
Scholar

I tried a different cable and different inputs. Same results, it's intermittent. Yesterday the tv went off by it's self and tv. Last night the audio went out but TV's video was still on.

>

I tried a different cable and different inputs. Same results, it's intermittent. Yesterday the tv went off by it's self and tv. Last night the audio went out but TV's video was still on.

>

5 of 14 (143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 11:00:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

So the problem happens even when using Component Video connection instead of HDMI?  Could this be a problem with your TV?

So the problem happens even when using Component Video connection instead of HDMI?  Could this be a problem with your TV?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 14 (143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 7:32:55 AM
(0)
Scholar

It could be the tv. But if I reset the receiver everything works normal.

>

It could be the tv. But if I reset the receiver everything works normal.

>

7 of 14 (143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 9:44:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It might be a defective DirecTV Receiver, but it's very unusual for ALL of the video/audio outputs to fail like this.  This is more typically a symptom of "HDMI Handshake" problems, but you've ruled that out by using Component Video connection instead of HDMI.

It might be a defective DirecTV Receiver, but it's very unusual for ALL of the video/audio outputs to fail like this.  This is more typically a symptom of "HDMI Handshake" problems, but you've ruled that out by using Component Video connection instead of HDMI.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 14 (143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 9:52:07 AM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks for your input. No one is here but me and my wife, no one has touched the tv or receiver, it happens with no one around the tv or receiver. It will just go off by itself at times. I have a tech from DTV coming out Wed., DTV assures me that their tech will be able to isolate the issue. It all started back in June while we were out of town. It's continued intermittley since then. DTV sent a new receiver, but it still does it. I did try another HDMI cable, still did it.

Thanks,

Tom

>

Thanks for your input. No one is here but me and my wife, no one has touched the tv or receiver, it happens with no one around the tv or receiver. It will just go off by itself at times. I have a tech from DTV coming out Wed., DTV assures me that their tech will be able to isolate the issue. It all started back in June while we were out of town. It's continued intermittley since then. DTV sent a new receiver, but it still does it. I did try another HDMI cable, still did it.

Thanks,

Tom

>

9 of 14 (143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 9:55:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

And it also does when NOT using the HDMI connection?   The fact that the Receiver has already been replaced and the problem continues strongly points to a TV issue.  Keep us posted.

And it also does when NOT using the HDMI connection?   The fact that the Receiver has already been replaced and the problem continues strongly points to a TV issue.  Keep us posted.

10 of 14 (143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 10:31:07 AM
(0)
Scholar

Tech spt told me to disconnect the component cables, just use a HDMI cable. If it's a tv issue why does everything work after resetting the receiver?

>

Tech spt told me to disconnect the component cables, just use a HDMI cable. If it's a tv issue why does everything work after resetting the receiver?

>

11 of 14 (143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 2:33:37 PM
(0)
Professor

The component cable is only to test to see if there is something wrong with the HDMI circuits, if there is then you can still use it until you can get it fixed, you will need a red/white cable for sound in this case.

The component cable is only to test to see if there is something wrong with the HDMI circuits, if there is then you can still use it until you can get it fixed, you will need a red/white cable for sound in this case.

12 of 14 (143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 2:41:20 PM
(0)
Scholar

Directv told me to disconnect those cables if I didn't have another component hooked up. I get different answers depending on who I talk to. I did try another HDMI cable, same results.

>

Directv told me to disconnect those cables if I didn't have another component hooked up. I get different answers depending on who I talk to. I did try another HDMI cable, same results.

>

13 of 14 (143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 4:31:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Using the Component Cables instead of HDMI is a way to test whether the HDMI Handshake is the problem or not.  If the problem does not occur with Component Video Cable, then it's most likely an HDMI Handshake problem.  That might be fixable with a software update to your HDTV or AV Surround Receiver, or a future software update to the DirecTV Receiver.  

Try the Component Video cable connection and let us know what you discover. 

Simply replacing the Receiver again won't solve your issue if it's caused by HDMI handshake between your devices.

Using the Component Cables instead of HDMI is a way to test whether the HDMI Handshake is the problem or not.  If the problem does not occur with Component Video Cable, then it's most likely an HDMI Handshake problem.  That might be fixable with a software update to your HDTV or AV Surround Receiver, or a future software update to the DirecTV Receiver.  

Try the Component Video cable connection and let us know what you discover. 

Simply replacing the Receiver again won't solve your issue if it's caused by HDMI handshake between your devices.

14 of 14 (143 Views)