Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Oct 8, 2013
8:55:31 AM
View profile
Will my programs on my external hard drive connected to my hr34 transfer when I hook it up to my new hr44?

Will my programs on my external hard drive connected to my hr34 transfer when I hook it up to my new hr44?

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 9:51:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Nope.  Recordings are encrypted to the DVR that recorded them.  While you'll see them when you connect that drive to your new HR44, you won't be able to play them.

Nope.  Recordings are encrypted to the DVR that recorded them.  While you'll see them when you connect that drive to your new HR44, you won't be able to play them.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Will my programs on my external hard drive connected to my hr34 transfer when I hook it up to my new hr44?

2 of 14 (110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 10:09:41 AM
(0)
Tutor

I had the same question tech support told me

"You may be able to share your playlist if you plan on keeping the recever,however if it's been deactivated chances are their lost & you'll have to re-record them"

Good luck hopefully you can share them.

I had the same question tech support told me

"You may be able to share your playlist if you plan on keeping the recever,however if it's been deactivated chances are their lost & you'll have to re-record them"

Good luck hopefully you can share them.

Re: Will my programs on my external hard drive connected to my hr34 transfer when I hook it up to my new hr44?

3 of 14 (110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 10:26:09 AM
(0)
Expert

You misunderstand the message Tech Support gave you.  All HD DVR's encrypt their recordings so that the recordings are only playable on the DVR that recorded them.

The situation you are posting has to do with having recordings on an existing DVR then adding Whole Home to your system.  If you keep the existing DVR active then you can share the recordings, if you deactivate it, the recordings would be lost.  The original poster wants to transfer the external hard drive from one Genie to another, and the recordings will be lost.

You misunderstand the message Tech Support gave you.  All HD DVR's encrypt their recordings so that the recordings are only playable on the DVR that recorded them.

The situation you are posting has to do with having recordings on an existing DVR then adding Whole Home to your system.  If you keep the existing DVR active then you can share the recordings, if you deactivate it, the recordings would be lost.  The original poster wants to transfer the external hard drive from one Genie to another, and the recordings will be lost.

4 of 14 (110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 2:38:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

and since DirecTV does not allow two Genies on one account, the OP would not be able to share the playlists

and since DirecTV does not allow two Genies on one account, the OP would not be able to share the playlists

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 14 (110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 7:08:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yes, if you have an HR34 on the account, DirecTV will not activate an HR44. You will need to deactivate the HR34 before you activate the HR44. Then the HR34 will have to be returned to DirecTV, assuming it is leased.

Yes, if you have an HR34 on the account, DirecTV will not activate an HR44. You will need to deactivate the HR34 before you activate the HR44. Then the HR34 will have to be returned to DirecTV, assuming it is leased.

6 of 14 (110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 7:17:37 PM
(0)
Teacher

Genie receivers cannot be listed as Owned on an account. They are only listed as leased receiver. DTV will request the Genie back when you activate the new receiver.

Recordings on the other hand are unfortunately gone with the receiver. If you can still view the recordings I would suggest watching them before activating the new HR44 receiver. Once the HR34 is deactivated you will loose access to all recordings.

Genie receivers cannot be listed as Owned on an account. They are only listed as leased receiver. DTV will request the Genie back when you activate the new receiver.

Recordings on the other hand are unfortunately gone with the receiver. If you can still view the recordings I would suggest watching them before activating the new HR44 receiver. Once the HR34 is deactivated you will loose access to all recordings.

7 of 14 (110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 7:39:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

dtvtech_patrick wrote:

Genie receivers cannot be listed as Owned on an account.

Incorrect!  there are a few folks that I know that have OWNED Genies.

dtvtech_patrick wrote:

Genie receivers cannot be listed as Owned on an account.

Incorrect!  there are a few folks that I know that have OWNED Genies.

8 of 14 (110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 8:25:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I know of some also.....but I suspect it's unlikely that the OP has an owned HR34

I know of some also.....but I suspect it's unlikely that the OP has an owned HR34

9 of 14 (110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 8:30:02 PM
(0)
Teacher

The only way to get a Genie to be listed on an account as Owned is be be an employee of DirecTV. Either an installer or an agent, however non DirecTV employees will only have it listed on an account as Owned if they had previously worked for DTV when they acquired the Genie.

The only way to get a Genie to be listed on an account as Owned is be be an employee of DirecTV. Either an installer or an agent, however non DirecTV employees will only have it listed on an account as Owned if they had previously worked for DTV when they acquired the Genie.

10 of 14 (110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 8:35:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Again, INCORRECT! Not true at all. Get your facts straight

Again, INCORRECT! Not true at all. Get your facts straight

11 of 14 (110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 8:45:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

That's simply not true. 

That's simply not true. 

12 of 14 (110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2013 7:27:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

dvtech_patrick:  it's not true, it might be something you have been told in training. It's fairly rare but there are quite a few "owned" HR34s out there not with ex-DirecTV employees.

dvtech_patrick:  it's not true, it might be something you have been told in training. It's fairly rare but there are quite a few "owned" HR34s out there not with ex-DirecTV employees.

13 of 14 (110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2013 7:29:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
and dont forget there are a few HR44 listed as "owned" as well
and dont forget there are a few HR44 listed as "owned" as well

14 of 14 (110 Views)