Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Sep 17, 2013
7:02:10 PM
View profile
Why is my receiver overheating? Nothing is touching it

My receiver has lately been stating that it is overheating and must cool down to 50*C.  Why is that and what should I do

My receiver has lately been stating that it is overheating and must cool down to 50*C.  Why is that and what should I do

Why is my receiver overheating? Nothing is touching it

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2013 7:03:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

Is this receiver in an enclosed cabinet?

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

Is this receiver in an enclosed cabinet?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Why is my receiver overheating?  Nothing is touching it

2 of 10 (65 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2013 7:07:33 PM
(0)
Contributor

model is HR-100 and it is not enclosed.  It is open all around but sits on the second shelf before the top where the tv sits

model is HR-100 and it is not enclosed.  It is open all around but sits on the second shelf before the top where the tv sits

3 of 10 (65 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2013 7:19:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

HR? 

HR? 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 10 (65 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2013 8:08:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Press and hold the remote's INFO button until the System Information menu appears. Select "More Information" and look at the "Internal Temperature". What does it say?

Press and hold the remote's INFO button until the System Information menu appears. Select "More Information" and look at the "Internal Temperature". What does it say?

Re: Why is my receiver overheating? Nothing is touching it

5 of 10 (65 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2013 2:36:48 PM
(0)
Contributor

My receiver ( HR24-100 ) just started doing the same thing. It actually restarted once indicating it was 68 degrees C at boot and waited to cool to 50 C. There is no way it was that hot. It was sitting in a 67 degree F room on an open self with no other equipment around it. Have had it for 2 years now sitting in the same spot with no issues. now is reporting temperature issues daily.

My receiver ( HR24-100 ) just started doing the same thing. It actually restarted once indicating it was 68 degrees C at boot and waited to cool to 50 C. There is no way it was that hot. It was sitting in a 67 degree F room on an open self with no other equipment around it. Have had it for 2 years now sitting in the same spot with no issues. now is reporting temperature issues daily.

6 of 10 (65 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2013 2:38:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Perhaps the fan died.  call DirecTV for a replacement

Perhaps the fan died.  call DirecTV for a replacement

7 of 10 (65 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2013 2:53:40 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks peds48 that is my next action. I cannot hear a fan running in the unit. The thing I wonder about though is 68 degrees C is hot. When I touch the box there is no way that it feels that warm. Oh well off to tech support hell --- lol

Thanks peds48 that is my next action. I cannot hear a fan running in the unit. The thing I wonder about though is 68 degrees C is hot. When I touch the box there is no way that it feels that warm. Oh well off to tech support hell --- lol

8 of 10 (65 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2013 2:56:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

the case may not be hot, but the "internals" may very well be

the case may not be hot, but the "internals" may very well be

9 of 10 (65 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 4:59:28 AM
(0)
Expert

Note that even if the hot warning is false, you need to replace the box so the temp warning system operates correctly.  Also note that overheat warnings should be dealt with immediately.

Note that even if the hot warning is false, you need to replace the box so the temp warning system operates correctly.  Also note that overheat warnings should be dealt with immediately.

10 of 10 (65 Views)