Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Jan 24, 2014
9:36:59 PM
Why is my DVR recording a different channel than it was programmed to?

I have an R15 DVR. It was set to record a series but after a few episodes it started to record a different show on a different channel.  I canceled the series record thinking it was messed up somehow and scheduled the next episode to record as a single episode.  Again the DVR recorded at the correct time but on a different channel.  What can be done about this issue? Any information is welcome!

I have an R15 DVR. It was set to record a series but after a few episodes it started to record a different show on a different channel.  I canceled the series record thinking it was messed up somehow and scheduled the next episode to record as a single episode.  Again the DVR recorded at the correct time but on a different channel.  What can be done about this issue? Any information is welcome!

Why is my DVR recording a different channel than it was programmed to?

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 11:22:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

How did you set up the Series Recording?

What show?  What channel?

Have you tried resetting the R15 (red button behind front panel access card door)?

How did you set up the Series Recording?

What show?  What channel?

Have you tried resetting the R15 (red button behind front panel access card door)?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Why is my DVR recording a different channel than it was programmed to?

2 of 10 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2014 7:00:06 AM
(0)
Expert

Do you have other receivers in addition to the R15, was anything recently added to your configuration?  Improper wiring can cause the channel selection to be confused.

Do you have other receivers in addition to the R15, was anything recently added to your configuration?  Improper wiring can cause the channel selection to be confused.

3 of 10 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2014 7:37:33 AM
(0)
Tutor

The show is Last Man Standing and it is on channel 22 (abc).  Will resetting the DVR erase recordings that are already stored on it?

The show is Last Man Standing and it is on channel 22 (abc).  Will resetting the DVR erase recordings that are already stored on it?

4 of 10 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2014 7:40:04 AM
(0)
Tutor

The only other receiver is a D10-300. We've had both for quite awhile and haven't had any trouble before this.

The only other receiver is a D10-300. We've had both for quite awhile and haven't had any trouble before this.

5 of 10 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2014 10:02:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

No, a red button won't delete any recordings or settings.  It's just like rebooting a PC.

No, a red button won't delete any recordings or settings.  It's just like rebooting a PC.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 10 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2014 5:33:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

Tonight I had a different show set to record on a different local channel. This time I tuned into the channel before the show started to see what was going on. When I punched the channel number (7) into the remote, the banner at the top of the screen showed it was tuned to channel 7, but in reality it was playing channel 375.  I then performed a red button reset and when the receiver came back on it was playing the correct channel. So it seems to me that the issue is not with the DVR but with the receiver itself. (The receiver on the other tv played all the local channels fine so it isn't a problem with the equipment on the dish.)

Tonight I had a different show set to record on a different local channel. This time I tuned into the channel before the show started to see what was going on. When I punched the channel number (7) into the remote, the banner at the top of the screen showed it was tuned to channel 7, but in reality it was playing channel 375.  I then performed a red button reset and when the receiver came back on it was playing the correct channel. So it seems to me that the issue is not with the DVR but with the receiver itself. (The receiver on the other tv played all the local channels fine so it isn't a problem with the equipment on the dish.)

7 of 10 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2014 11:17:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

This is a typical symptom of coax splitters installed on your satellite cable somewhere.   But it could also be a defective DVR tuner, or dish/LNB issue.  Best to call DirecTV for a service visit.  It's free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan.  Otherwise ~$50, no matter what they  have to repair or replace.

This is a typical symptom of coax splitters installed on your satellite cable somewhere.   But it could also be a defective DVR tuner, or dish/LNB issue.  Best to call DirecTV for a service visit.  It's free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan.  Otherwise ~$50, no matter what they  have to repair or replace.

8 of 10 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2014 1:40:47 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have had this exact problem. The solution was to "Refresh my service". Go to your account, view your equipment, and refresh your service. You won't lose your recordings, but your favorite channels will be lost. You'll have to recreate the list of favorite channels.

I have had this exact problem. The solution was to "Refresh my service". Go to your account, view your equipment, and refresh your service. You won't lose your recordings, but your favorite channels will be lost. You'll have to recreate the list of favorite channels.

9 of 10 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2014 3:09:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

trout56 wrote:

but your favorite channels will be lost. You'll have to recreate the list of favorite channels.

Refreshing your services does not cause your favorites channels to be lost

trout56 wrote:

but your favorite channels will be lost. You'll have to recreate the list of favorite channels.

Refreshing your services does not cause your favorites channels to be lost

10 of 10 (11 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments