Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Jul 30, 2013
4:50:11 PM
View profile
Whole Home With Swim-- Suddenly no internet, only 1/2 networked receivers

I'm not sure what change happened to my setup, but things have been intermittent between my 2 receivers that are networked for Whole Home.

Setup:

HR-24 living room

HR-22 bedroom

dash key status on both says:

SWiM Connected

Internet: Not Detected

HR-22 is the receiver that has the setup with the adapter via the internet router to the white box to the receiver

HR-24 is the receiver with the swim power inserter

swim is in the basement; no cords looked askew

HR-24 is currently showing the HR-22's playlist

HR-22 is NOT currently showing the HR-24's playlist.

No Internet connection on either. 

I've tried resetting both quite a bit, unplugging/replugging, resetting the router, etc

I'm not sure what change happened to my setup, but things have been intermittent between my 2 receivers that are networked for Whole Home.

Setup:

HR-24 living room

HR-22 bedroom

dash key status on both says:

SWiM Connected

Internet: Not Detected

HR-22 is the receiver that has the setup with the adapter via the internet router to the white box to the receiver

HR-24 is the receiver with the swim power inserter

swim is in the basement; no cords looked askew

HR-24 is currently showing the HR-22's playlist

HR-22 is NOT currently showing the HR-24's playlist.

No Internet connection on either. 

I've tried resetting both quite a bit, unplugging/replugging, resetting the router, etc

Whole Home With Swim-- Suddenly no internet, only 1/2 networked receivers

30 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(30)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2013 4:55:03 PM
(0)
Employee

Have you changed ISPs? If no,

try holding the reset button on the back of the CCK-W for 30 seconds.  then on your HDDVR press

MENU SETTINGS & HELP SETTINGS NETWORK SET UP RESTORE DEFAULTS CONNECT NOW GET CONNECTED WIRELESS.  the receiver will then scan for Wi-Fi networks and should d find yours.  once it finds your SSID, select your network name.  if your network is secured, it will ask you to type in your password.  if successful, you will get a message that says "congratulations, your receiver is connected to the internet"  Note that your SSID and/or password cannot have any spaces and/or special characters

Have you changed ISPs? If no,

try holding the reset button on the back of the CCK-W for 30 seconds.  then on your HDDVR press

MENU SETTINGS & HELP SETTINGS NETWORK SET UP RESTORE DEFAULTS CONNECT NOW GET CONNECTED WIRELESS.  the receiver will then scan for Wi-Fi networks and should d find yours.  once it finds your SSID, select your network name.  if your network is secured, it will ask you to type in your password.  if successful, you will get a message that says "congratulations, your receiver is connected to the internet"  Note that your SSID and/or password cannot have any spaces and/or special characters

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Whole Home With Swim-- Suddenly no internet, only 1/2 networked receivers

2 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2013 5:29:46 PM
(0)
Mentor

I did not change isps.  No success with the suggestions so far. 

I don't have a CCK with a reset button. It's a DECA broadband adapter.  I did unplug it and leave it off for 30 seconds, and reset the router. 

Then I'm doing all the steps on the dtv receiver on the HR-22 which is the one connected to the router.

On the dtv receiver:

The network setup never got to a point where it searched for wifi networks. Even after I click on Restore Defaults under network setup, I don't get a Connect Now option, it still says Test Connection. Does that have something to do with it?

I did not change isps.  No success with the suggestions so far. 

I don't have a CCK with a reset button. It's a DECA broadband adapter.  I did unplug it and leave it off for 30 seconds, and reset the router. 

Then I'm doing all the steps on the dtv receiver on the HR-22 which is the one connected to the router.

On the dtv receiver:

The network setup never got to a point where it searched for wifi networks. Even after I click on Restore Defaults under network setup, I don't get a Connect Now option, it still says Test Connection. Does that have something to do with it?

3 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2013 7:50:47 PM
(0)
Employee

Sorry, I was under the impression that you had the CCK-W.  so on the HR22, How is the "adapter" connected to your router?

Sorry, I was under the impression that you had the CCK-W.  so on the HR22, How is the "adapter" connected to your router?

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2013 8:01:34 PM
(0)
Mentor

It's connected via a short ethernet cable

It's connected via a short ethernet cable

5 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2013 8:07:13 PM
(0)
Administrator

Just in case you were not aware. The network is not part of Whole Home. However network problems can cause Whole Home problems. If you disconnect the DECA BB whole home should be back, but of course this does not solve your network problem.

Just in case you were not aware. The network is not part of Whole Home. However network problems can cause Whole Home problems. If you disconnect the DECA BB whole home should be back, but of course this does not solve your network problem.

6 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2013 8:22:57 PM
(0)
Employee

short cable to what....

short cable to what....

7 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2013 9:30:58 PM
(0)
Mentor

From the directv adapter to a port on the router

From the directv adapter to a port on the router

8 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2013 7:22:10 AM
(0)
Expert

Unfortunately this website software will not allow us to post a diagram of how your system should be connected but here is a summary.  A single coax cable should come from the dish to a splitter.  A coax from the power passing port of the splitter connects to the "towards LNB" port of the power inserter.  The "sat rcvr" port of the power inserter can be connected to either DVR or can be terminated and not used.  A separate coax from the splitter feeds each DVR.  On the HR24 it connects to the coax in port and the HR24 has no other connections.  On the HR22, there is a DECA adapter attached to the coax and a short coax jumper plus a short Ethernet jumper connects to the ports on the HR22.  That is all of the connections (plus AC power) that are required for whole home.

The DECA BB adapter connects to the splitter by coax and a short Ethernet jumper connects the DECA BB to the router.  That's it, that is all the connections needed.  I'd guess you have something connected improperly.

Unfortunately this website software will not allow us to post a diagram of how your system should be connected but here is a summary.  A single coax cable should come from the dish to a splitter.  A coax from the power passing port of the splitter connects to the "towards LNB" port of the power inserter.  The "sat rcvr" port of the power inserter can be connected to either DVR or can be terminated and not used.  A separate coax from the splitter feeds each DVR.  On the HR24 it connects to the coax in port and the HR24 has no other connections.  On the HR22, there is a DECA adapter attached to the coax and a short coax jumper plus a short Ethernet jumper connects to the ports on the HR22.  That is all of the connections (plus AC power) that are required for whole home.

The DECA BB adapter connects to the splitter by coax and a short Ethernet jumper connects the DECA BB to the router.  That's it, that is all the connections needed.  I'd guess you have something connected improperly.

9 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2013 9:30:59 AM
(0)
Mentor

I haven't anything unplugged that was plugged in when it was working fine, but I'll check later.

I haven't anything unplugged that was plugged in when it was working fine, but I'll check later.

10 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2013 5:31:01 AM
(0)
Mentor

Yeah I don't see any change in the setup.   Is there any explanation for why the HR-24 will (usually) show the HR-22's playlist, but not vice versa?

Yeah I don't see any change in the setup.   Is there any explanation for why the HR-24 will (usually) show the HR-22's playlist, but not vice versa?

11 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2013 7:36:25 AM
(0)
Administrator

No. However I suspect it is related to the DECA problems. As I stated earlier Whole Home does not require DECA. However if DECA is no working correctly it can cause Whole Home problems. Disconnect the DECA (you should be able to do this by unplugging the Ethernet cable from the DECCA BB) and see if Whole Home works any better. If it does then you can proceed to find out what the DECA problem is. In case you are not aware DECA only provides Ethernet over coax which is not part of Whole Home.

No. However I suspect it is related to the DECA problems. As I stated earlier Whole Home does not require DECA. However if DECA is no working correctly it can cause Whole Home problems. Disconnect the DECA (you should be able to do this by unplugging the Ethernet cable from the DECCA BB) and see if Whole Home works any better. If it does then you can proceed to find out what the DECA problem is. In case you are not aware DECA only provides Ethernet over coax which is not part of Whole Home.

12 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2013 10:01:52 AM
(0)
Expert

So as not to create or leave the wrong impression to any readers, here are some points regarding DECA and the Whole Home DVR system.  WHDVR is based on DECA (Directv Ethernet Coax Adapter) and all of the recent HD receivers and DVR's have it built in.  The older units require an external DECA adapter.  The system creates a ninth "channel" in the system's coax and that channel is used to stream programming from one box to another.  This use of the DECA technology is a required part of every Whole House DVR system.

The DECA BB adapter is a device that converts the ninth channel within the coax to broadband Ethernet so that the channel can connect to a router and provide internet services and LAN networking.  The CCK-W is a wireless adapter that provides the same interface wirelessly.  This connection provides many attractive features but is not "required" in order for Whole Home to work.

So as not to create or leave the wrong impression to any readers, here are some points regarding DECA and the Whole Home DVR system.  WHDVR is based on DECA (Directv Ethernet Coax Adapter) and all of the recent HD receivers and DVR's have it built in.  The older units require an external DECA adapter.  The system creates a ninth "channel" in the system's coax and that channel is used to stream programming from one box to another.  This use of the DECA technology is a required part of every Whole House DVR system.

The DECA BB adapter is a device that converts the ninth channel within the coax to broadband Ethernet so that the channel can connect to a router and provide internet services and LAN networking.  The CCK-W is a wireless adapter that provides the same interface wirelessly.  This connection provides many attractive features but is not "required" in order for Whole Home to work.

13 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2013 10:11:22 AM
(0)
Administrator

Dcd. Thanks for explaining this in detail. I am still learning to.

Dcd. Thanks for explaining this in detail. I am still learning to.

14 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2013 5:24:21 PM
(0)
Mentor

OK I've been out of town since the last email.    But based on the previous  instructions in this thread (and that internet is not important, just Whole Home)

These steps were all done on the setup associated with the HR-22 only, nothing done to the HR-24. 

I unplugged all the cables and cords associated with the black adapter that connected to the router (small ethernet connect to the router, coax that went to the white DECA adapter), and the white Connected Home adapter that connected via coax and ethernet to the HR-22.  

Then I just connected the coax that is coming in from outside through the wall into the Satellite In-1 (SWM-2) coax on the HR-22.  

Still not receiving Whole Home playlists on either receiver.  

OK I've been out of town since the last email.    But based on the previous  instructions in this thread (and that internet is not important, just Whole Home)

These steps were all done on the setup associated with the HR-22 only, nothing done to the HR-24. 

I unplugged all the cables and cords associated with the black adapter that connected to the router (small ethernet connect to the router, coax that went to the white DECA adapter), and the white Connected Home adapter that connected via coax and ethernet to the HR-22.  

Then I just connected the coax that is coming in from outside through the wall into the Satellite In-1 (SWM-2) coax on the HR-22.  

Still not receiving Whole Home playlists on either receiver.  

15 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2013 6:40:36 PM
(0)
Employee

Not sure if it was discussed before but the HR22 needs an external DECA home adapter in order to join the coax network.  It appears that your HR22 does not have on.  you can call DirecTV and have one shipped to you at no charge

Not sure if it was discussed before but the HR22 needs an external DECA home adapter in order to join the coax network.  It appears that your HR22 does not have on.  you can call DirecTV and have one shipped to you at no charge

16 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2013 7:48:22 PM
(0)
Mentor

But the Whole Home has been working fine up until when I sent my email last week.  I have all the adapters.  

Neither receiver is currently showing the networked receivers playlist, even though I didn't make any changes to inputs.  

The SWM device with the coax inputs is in the basement. All connectors look attached.  The side with 4 coax inputs has 3 connected and one not.  The single connection on the other end is connected.  

HR-22's setup:

One coax cable comes in from outside through a hole in the wall, and into the white DECA Connected Home Adapter, which then on the other end of the adapter coax connects into the Sat 1 (SWM2) coax port on the HR-22.   (Also a small ethernet cable was also connected the DCHA to the ethernet of the HR-22, but I don't have that in now to isolate the problem.)

Another coax cable goes is connected on one end into the coax input on the Black Deca Broadband Adapter, and on the other end into the coax jack on the wall behind the tv.  (Also a small ethernet cable connected the Black adapter to the router, but again, since I believe I heard internet isn't required for Whole Home with SWM, I don't have any ethernet connection going.)

HR- 24's setup

On the SWM power inserter: 

"IRD" on SWM coax connection to SAT 1 (SWM2) on receiver.

"Power" to SWM goes coax to basement.  

Both tvs say "SWM: Connected" when pressing dash.   I entertained the slight possibility that I cut a coax wire that runs along the side outside while weeding, but I assumed that would affect getting a picture and signal at all, not just not getting Whole Home.  

Thanks

But the Whole Home has been working fine up until when I sent my email last week.  I have all the adapters.  

Neither receiver is currently showing the networked receivers playlist, even though I didn't make any changes to inputs.  

The SWM device with the coax inputs is in the basement. All connectors look attached.  The side with 4 coax inputs has 3 connected and one not.  The single connection on the other end is connected.  

HR-22's setup:

One coax cable comes in from outside through a hole in the wall, and into the white DECA Connected Home Adapter, which then on the other end of the adapter coax connects into the Sat 1 (SWM2) coax port on the HR-22.   (Also a small ethernet cable was also connected the DCHA to the ethernet of the HR-22, but I don't have that in now to isolate the problem.)

Another coax cable goes is connected on one end into the coax input on the Black Deca Broadband Adapter, and on the other end into the coax jack on the wall behind the tv.  (Also a small ethernet cable connected the Black adapter to the router, but again, since I believe I heard internet isn't required for Whole Home with SWM, I don't have any ethernet connection going.)

HR- 24's setup

On the SWM power inserter: 

"IRD" on SWM coax connection to SAT 1 (SWM2) on receiver.

"Power" to SWM goes coax to basement.  

Both tvs say "SWM: Connected" when pressing dash.   I entertained the slight possibility that I cut a coax wire that runs along the side outside while weeding, but I assumed that would affect getting a picture and signal at all, not just not getting Whole Home.  

Thanks

17 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2013 7:57:40 PM
(0)
Administrator

I know this is a stupid question, but. Are both units whole home enabled?

I know this is a stupid question, but. Are both units whole home enabled?

18 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2013 8:14:46 PM
(0)
Mentor

On both tvs-

Menu> settings> settings> Whole Home> Status>  Whole home: authorized. Networked dvrs found: None

On both tvs-

Menu> settings> settings> Whole Home> Status>  Whole home: authorized. Networked dvrs found: None

19 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2013 8:18:56 PM
(0)
Employee

munnlete wrote:

HR-22's setup:

Thanks

You have to understand that the HR24 has DECA built in, the HR22 does NOT.  The HR24 communicates via the coax cable while the HR22 communicates via the Ethernet cable.  so the DECA Home adapter is the "translator" for the HR22. So without the Ethernet cable from the HR22 Ethernet port to the DECA the two DVRs wont communicate with each other

munnlete wrote:

HR-22's setup:

Thanks

You have to understand that the HR24 has DECA built in, the HR22 does NOT.  The HR24 communicates via the coax cable while the HR22 communicates via the Ethernet cable.  so the DECA Home adapter is the "translator" for the HR22. So without the Ethernet cable from the HR22 Ethernet port to the DECA the two DVRs wont communicate with each other

20 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2013 8:40:43 PM
(0)
Administrator

Here is a link to a White Paper that covers how to connect the different types of dvrs / receivers. It is called Directv Networking.

Yes. peds48 is correct you do need the DIRECTV Ethernet Coax Adapter DECA  connected to the HR22. I am still new at this and didn't fully understand the DECA / Whole Home concept. Thanks to dcd & peds48 I think I am getting there. Some statements I made where not completely true sorry for that.

http://manuals.solidsignal.com/Coax%20Networking%20White%20Paper.pdf

Here is a link to a White Paper that covers how to connect the different types of dvrs / receivers. It is called Directv Networking.

Yes. peds48 is correct you do need the DIRECTV Ethernet Coax Adapter DECA  connected to the HR22. I am still new at this and didn't fully understand the DECA / Whole Home concept. Thanks to dcd & peds48 I think I am getting there. Some statements I made where not completely true sorry for that.

http://manuals.solidsignal.com/Coax%20Networking%20White%20Paper.pdf

21 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2013 9:07:51 AM
(0)
Mentor

Well I've got the whole home working again for both receivers. Been working for a little while, so I'll mark this answered.  

However, I still can't get the Internet connected on receivers.  

Well I've got the whole home working again for both receivers. Been working for a little while, so I'll mark this answered.  

However, I still can't get the Internet connected on receivers.  

22 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2013 9:20:33 AM
(0)
Administrator

Glad to hear you got whole home back. Two questions. Did you lose whole home when you reconnected the DECA BB to your router? Are there indicators  on the DECA  BB (don't have one)  if so do they appear to be correct my guess is yes. Sounds like maybe the DECA  BB might be bad. Also there is a possibility that a reset might help.

Glad to hear you got whole home back. Two questions. Did you lose whole home when you reconnected the DECA BB to your router? Are there indicators  on the DECA  BB (don't have one)  if so do they appear to be correct my guess is yes. Sounds like maybe the DECA  BB might be bad. Also there is a possibility that a reset might help.

23 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2013 9:45:03 AM
(0)
Mentor

Yes in fact, after plugging the Ethernet cable back from the black Deca adapter into the router, within a minute, the playlist sharing went very off-and-on as far as displaying the list at all.   

I will say 2 things:

1.  The black deca adapter is very hot.

2.  Not directv related, but one of the LAN ports on the router (uverse) lights up as if it's connected regardless if it's connected.   Tried to reset that several different ways as well.  

Yes in fact, after plugging the Ethernet cable back from the black Deca adapter into the router, within a minute, the playlist sharing went very off-and-on as far as displaying the list at all.   

I will say 2 things:

1.  The black deca adapter is very hot.

2.  Not directv related, but one of the LAN ports on the router (uverse) lights up as if it's connected regardless if it's connected.   Tried to reset that several different ways as well.  

24 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2013 10:30:09 AM
(0)
Administrator

It sounds to me like the DECA BB is bad. I can't imagine a DECA BB getting hot however not having one I really have no way of knowing.

It sounds to me like the DECA BB is bad. I can't imagine a DECA BB getting hot however not having one I really have no way of knowing.

25 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2013 1:15:39 PM
(0)
Expert

The DECA BB adapter does in fact run pretty hot.  Know this.  When you have a working Whole Home DVR system working with no Router connected, and then plug in a router connection (the DECA BB adapter) you instantly create a conflict in the IP addresses of your network.  A proper reset is required to get everything configured properly, and red button resets will not do the job.  The proper way to connect the router to a working system is to disconnect AC power to all the receivers, disconnect AC power from the power inserter and finally disconnect AC power from the router.  Connect the router to the Whole home system, then reconnect the AC power in the reverse order. First connect the router, then the power inserter, then the receivers. 

The DECA BB adapter does in fact run pretty hot.  Know this.  When you have a working Whole Home DVR system working with no Router connected, and then plug in a router connection (the DECA BB adapter) you instantly create a conflict in the IP addresses of your network.  A proper reset is required to get everything configured properly, and red button resets will not do the job.  The proper way to connect the router to a working system is to disconnect AC power to all the receivers, disconnect AC power from the power inserter and finally disconnect AC power from the router.  Connect the router to the Whole home system, then reconnect the AC power in the reverse order. First connect the router, then the power inserter, then the receivers. 

26 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2013 3:45:47 PM
(0)
Employee

Didn't you mention that the DECA BB was not connected to your router?  If is not connected you wont get Internet access to the DirecTV system. 

Didn't you mention that the DECA BB was not connected to your router?  If is not connected you wont get Internet access to the DirecTV system. 

27 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2013 4:13:15 PM
(0)
Mentor

When it's not connected via ethernet to router, everything works fine in terms of Whole Home.  No internet obviously.

When it is connected to the router, there appears to be some sort of IP conflict that messes up the Whole Home. And still not internet.  Tried the resetting cycle in this thread, but no luck.  I'm assuming a problem in the router settings.  

When it's not connected via ethernet to router, everything works fine in terms of Whole Home.  No internet obviously.

When it is connected to the router, there appears to be some sort of IP conflict that messes up the Whole Home. And still not internet.  Tried the resetting cycle in this thread, but no luck.  I'm assuming a problem in the router settings.  

28 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2013 4:21:28 PM
(0)
Employee

So, are you getting IP conflicts or network drop offs?

So, are you getting IP conflicts or network drop offs?

29 of 31 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2013 4:58:15 PM
(0)
Mentor

I assume IP conflicts, but not sure. No other device I have is having trouble with the internet, but they're all wifi. The deca apater is the only device I have that connects to the router via ethernet.

Just to test, I tried plugging in a laptop to the router via ethernet, and couldn't get internet there either.  1 port on the router keep lighting up as if it's connected even when nothing is connected in there. I've tried what seems to be every method of resetting the router but that doesn't go away. 

I assume IP conflicts, but not sure. No other device I have is having trouble with the internet, but they're all wifi. The deca apater is the only device I have that connects to the router via ethernet.

Just to test, I tried plugging in a laptop to the router via ethernet, and couldn't get internet there either.  1 port on the router keep lighting up as if it's connected even when nothing is connected in there. I've tried what seems to be every method of resetting the router but that doesn't go away. 

30 of 31 (443 Views)