Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Mar 7, 2014
12:26:05 PM
When is Directv going to force networks to put in First Aired Date?

When I ask the recorder to recorder to record first runs of say Love it Or List it it does them but it also records ones that have nothing in the "First Aired" field in more info and I think it fools the programming function into thinking that it is a new show when in reality it may be years old. I then have to waste time deleting this old content.

When I ask the recorder to recorder to record first runs of say Love it Or List it it does them but it also records ones that have nothing in the "First Aired" field in more info and I think it fools the programming function into thinking that it is a new show when in reality it may be years old. I then have to waste time deleting this old content.

When is Directv going to force networks to put in First Aired Date?

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2014 12:31:24 PM
(0)
Professor

DTV doesn't create the guide data they use a third party vendor that the networks send their schedules to.

DTV doesn't create the guide data they use a third party vendor that the networks send their schedules to.

Re: When is Directv going to force networks to put in First Aired Date?

2 of 14 (12 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2014 12:40:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well then why doesn't Directv force the third party Vendor to do its due diligence in this matter which would either mean them to pester the networks or Directv itself to give them the data or simply put in the data they "forgot"

Well then why doesn't Directv force the third party Vendor to do its due diligence in this matter which would either mean them to pester the networks or Directv itself to give them the data or simply put in the data they "forgot"

3 of 14 (12 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2014 12:49:58 PM
(0)
Professor

You can email/call DTV directly as no one here can answer that as this is a user to user forum.

You can email/call DTV directly as no one here can answer that as this is a user to user forum.

4 of 14 (12 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2014 1:32:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have talked to Directv, tried their FAQ's to no avail. On this subject they seem to be clueless. I know that this is a user forum but you would think that Directv would have some trolls checking on this site to at least note that there are issues and to what degree they are happening.

I have talked to Directv, tried their FAQ's to no avail. On this subject they seem to be clueless. I know that this is a user forum but you would think that Directv would have some trolls checking on this site to at least note that there are issues and to what degree they are happening.

5 of 14 (12 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2014 2:01:22 PM
(0)
Expert

Well, I don't think there are any trolls watching the first run date or lack thereof.  But, I can be a surrogate troll as I've read every post to these forums for the last several years and yours is the first complaint I've see regarding the lack of date situation.  You should know that the system doesn't read the words that you see but instead have a code that the system uses to create the DVR's ability to decide what to record.  Here's something you might mull.  The Directv system for sake of conversation has 200 channels that broadcast scheduled recordings 24 hours per day.  The Guide is cut into 30 minute segments so if my math is correct that computes to 200 guide data per half hour, or 9,600 per day, or 67,200 per week.  Assuming Directv wanted to watch for missing data, they would need to read the encoded data for each program in advance.  It doesn't happen too often thus the lack of interest among Directv CSR's.

Well, I don't think there are any trolls watching the first run date or lack thereof.  But, I can be a surrogate troll as I've read every post to these forums for the last several years and yours is the first complaint I've see regarding the lack of date situation.  You should know that the system doesn't read the words that you see but instead have a code that the system uses to create the DVR's ability to decide what to record.  Here's something you might mull.  The Directv system for sake of conversation has 200 channels that broadcast scheduled recordings 24 hours per day.  The Guide is cut into 30 minute segments so if my math is correct that computes to 200 guide data per half hour, or 9,600 per day, or 67,200 per week.  Assuming Directv wanted to watch for missing data, they would need to read the encoded data for each program in advance.  It doesn't happen too often thus the lack of interest among Directv CSR's.

6 of 14 (12 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2014 2:03:07 PM
(0)
Employee

The issue arises from the network themselves, DirecTV just "parses" the data for the receivers.  you have to deal with the networks that give the info to TMS

The issue arises from the network themselves, DirecTV just "parses" the data for the receivers.  you have to deal with the networks that give the info to TMS

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 14 (12 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2014 2:22:23 PM
(0)
Tutor

I shouldn't have to deal with the networks. I am paying Directv for this and I pay quit a lot.

I shouldn't have to deal with the networks. I am paying Directv for this and I pay quit a lot.

8 of 14 (12 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2014 2:22:38 PM
(0)
Tutor

9 of 14 (12 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2014 2:27:44 PM
(0)
Tutor

I see that but lacking company trolls there should at least use us customer trolls by enabling a bug report email address that can be used to handle actual bugs and to see what needs to be improved as far as educating the customer, the network and the third party handling the guide amongst others.

I see that but lacking company trolls there should at least use us customer trolls by enabling a bug report email address that can be used to handle actual bugs and to see what needs to be improved as far as educating the customer, the network and the third party handling the guide amongst others.

10 of 14 (12 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2014 2:33:23 PM
(0)
Employee

What ever you do is up to you, I am just a customer like yourself and was trying to give you some advice.  you can email DirecTV here

https://support.directv.com/app/ask

What ever you do is up to you, I am just a customer like yourself and was trying to give you some advice.  you can email DirecTV here

https://support.directv.com/app/ask

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

11 of 14 (12 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2014 8:16:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you for this. I just submitted a question and hopefully will get back a descent answer.

Thank you for this. I just submitted a question and hopefully will get back a descent answer.

12 of 14 (12 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2014 4:36:23 AM
(0)
Tutor

The way to get around this is to set the recording from an original aired episode in the guide rather than search the show by name and setting the recording that way. Other networks that get syndicated episodes as well as repeats from the original will be filtered into those searches, as they may be the first run on that channel or that time slot.

For example, if you want to record "The Walking Dead"

, you would go in the guide to Sunday, find the first aired episode for that week. Then, go to your recording options, and set it up from there.. no reruns.. no repeats. Just the original airing of the new episode.

The way to get around this is to set the recording from an original aired episode in the guide rather than search the show by name and setting the recording that way. Other networks that get syndicated episodes as well as repeats from the original will be filtered into those searches, as they may be the first run on that channel or that time slot.

For example, if you want to record "The Walking Dead"

, you would go in the guide to Sunday, find the first aired episode for that week. Then, go to your recording options, and set it up from there.. no reruns.. no repeats. Just the original airing of the new episode.

13 of 14 (12 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2014 12:44:02 PM
(0)
Tutor

I typically do search for a show and then look for the first instance of that show on the channel I know is the first run. NCIS is first aired on my local channel then stripped on USA so I find the local channel first run and select that and do the settings of first run and all episodes. Sometimes it will actually automatically record that first run I see and sometimes not. Those not I have to do manual records on.

I typically do search for a show and then look for the first instance of that show on the channel I know is the first run. NCIS is first aired on my local channel then stripped on USA so I find the local channel first run and select that and do the settings of first run and all episodes. Sometimes it will actually automatically record that first run I see and sometimes not. Those not I have to do manual records on.

14 of 14 (12 Views)