Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Jul 26, 2013
8:23:57 AM
View profile
Understanding the SWM/Genie/mini genie tuners

I am trying to understand how the SWM works with the Genie/Genie mini and how the Genie would work with regular HD/HDDVR boxes

I know that the Genie uses 5 tuners. If I had a Genie installed with 3 min-Genie boxes, am I using a total of 5 tuners or a total of 8?

Another scenario:  Genie installed with 3 standard HD boxes.  Am I using 8 tuners, or are the standard HD boxes "piggy-backing" off the Genie and I'm only using 5 tuners?

Does having a whole home DVR system require connecting anything to a high speed internet connection?

I am trying to understand how the SWM works with the Genie/Genie mini and how the Genie would work with regular HD/HDDVR boxes

I know that the Genie uses 5 tuners. If I had a Genie installed with 3 min-Genie boxes, am I using a total of 5 tuners or a total of 8?

Another scenario:  Genie installed with 3 standard HD boxes.  Am I using 8 tuners, or are the standard HD boxes "piggy-backing" off the Genie and I'm only using 5 tuners?

Does having a whole home DVR system require connecting anything to a high speed internet connection?

Understanding the SWM/Genie/mini genie tuners

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2013 8:39:15 AM
(0)
Tutor

Another question.  If the Genie minis do not use their own tuner, I assume the maximum amount of Mini-s that could be installed on a system are 4?  Let's assume 4 are installed and I am recording 5 shows at one time.  I assume that you could only watch 1 of those 5 channels on any of the 5 tvs without creating a recording conflict?

Another question.  If the Genie minis do not use their own tuner, I assume the maximum amount of Mini-s that could be installed on a system are 4?  Let's assume 4 are installed and I am recording 5 shows at one time.  I assume that you could only watch 1 of those 5 channels on any of the 5 tvs without creating a recording conflict?

Re: Understanding the SWM/Genie/mini genie tuners

2 of 14 (158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2013 8:43:40 AM
(0)
Administrator

I know that the Genie uses 5 tuners. If I had a Genie installed with 3 min-Genie boxes, am I using a total of 5 tuners or a total of 8? 5 tuners. A mini uses one of the genie tuners as minis don't have tuners.

Another scenario:  Genie installed with 3 standard HD boxes.  Am I using 8 tuners, or are the standard HD boxes "piggy-backing" off the Genie and I'm only using 5 tuners? If the HD boxes are receivers only the answer is 8. IF DVR's it is 2 for each DVR.

Does having a whole home DVR system require connecting anything to a high speed internet connection? No. However without the internet you do not have access to on demand.

I know that the Genie uses 5 tuners. If I had a Genie installed with 3 min-Genie boxes, am I using a total of 5 tuners or a total of 8? 5 tuners. A mini uses one of the genie tuners as minis don't have tuners.

Another scenario:  Genie installed with 3 standard HD boxes.  Am I using 8 tuners, or are the standard HD boxes "piggy-backing" off the Genie and I'm only using 5 tuners? If the HD boxes are receivers only the answer is 8. IF DVR's it is 2 for each DVR.

Does having a whole home DVR system require connecting anything to a high speed internet connection? No. However without the internet you do not have access to on demand.

3 of 14 (158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2013 8:57:10 AM
(0)
Mentor

Another question.  If the Genie minis do not use their own tuner, I assume the maximum amount of Mini-s that could be installed on a system are 4?  Let's assume 4 are installed and I am recording 5 shows at one time.  I assume that you could only watch 1 of those 5 channels on any of the 5 tvs without creating a recording conflict? A clarification on this question the Genie always stays with 2 tuners, so the proper scenerio es a Genie and 3 Mini Genies because when you turn on a 4th Mini Genie you will only be able to watch recorded shows not live time on the this one and no to avoid a recording conflict if recording 5 shows at once then you will have to watch a previous recorded show not one that is being recorded at the time.

Another question.  If the Genie minis do not use their own tuner, I assume the maximum amount of Mini-s that could be installed on a system are 4?  Let's assume 4 are installed and I am recording 5 shows at one time.  I assume that you could only watch 1 of those 5 channels on any of the 5 tvs without creating a recording conflict? A clarification on this question the Genie always stays with 2 tuners, so the proper scenerio es a Genie and 3 Mini Genies because when you turn on a 4th Mini Genie you will only be able to watch recorded shows not live time on the this one and no to avoid a recording conflict if recording 5 shows at once then you will have to watch a previous recorded show not one that is being recorded at the time.

4 of 14 (158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2013 9:19:42 AM
(0)
Administrator

Actually you can have up to 8 minis. However the catch is only 3 can be in use at any given time.

Actually you can have up to 8 minis. However the catch is only 3 can be in use at any given time.

5 of 14 (158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2013 9:32:28 AM
(0)
Tutor

So if all 5 tuners are being used by the Genie, then the minis can't access that tuner, even to watch a show that is being recorded?

So if all 5 tuners are being used by the Genie, then the minis can't access that tuner, even to watch a show that is being recorded?

6 of 14 (158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2013 9:34:59 AM
(0)
Mentor

Nop since the tuners are being used you have to watch a show that has previously been recorded on the genie.

Nop since the tuners are being used you have to watch a show that has previously been recorded on the genie.

7 of 14 (158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2013 10:07:40 AM
(0)
Administrator

I thought that watching a currently recording show did not require a tuner. You are in affect watching a recording even though not complete. True you can't watch it live.

I thought that watching a currently recording show did not require a tuner. You are in affect watching a recording even though not complete. True you can't watch it live.

8 of 14 (158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2013 10:41:54 AM
(0)
Tutor

That's what I was thinking as well.  You can access a show that is being currently recorded from the list and start it from the beginning.  I don't see where that would require a tuner.

That's what I was thinking as well.  You can access a show that is being currently recorded from the list and start it from the beginning.  I don't see where that would require a tuner.

9 of 14 (158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2013 11:30:31 AM
(0)
Expert

If you are watching a program that is in the process of recording, it requires a tuner to record.  All of the tuners are in the Genie so it matters not where you are watching from.  On a practical level. assuming the boxes are going to be used with some regularity, 3 is the max number of Clients (Genie Minis) you'd want, and fewer might be better.

Personally we pretty much record everything we watch so we can have a DVR, the Genie and a client all watching different programs from the Genie's playlist while still recording five programs (only happens on Sunday primetime)

If you are watching a program that is in the process of recording, it requires a tuner to record.  All of the tuners are in the Genie so it matters not where you are watching from.  On a practical level. assuming the boxes are going to be used with some regularity, 3 is the max number of Clients (Genie Minis) you'd want, and fewer might be better.

Personally we pretty much record everything we watch so we can have a DVR, the Genie and a client all watching different programs from the Genie's playlist while still recording five programs (only happens on Sunday primetime)

10 of 14 (158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2013 2:36:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Just to clarify on this.  If the all 5 tuners are being used on the Genie, and you turn on a client, the client will pick any of the 5 shows being recording currently.  At this point you can either watch one of the 5 shows in progress by either tuning to the channel, or by going to the playlist.  you can also watch any previous recorded program while the Genie records 5 shows

Just to clarify on this.  If the all 5 tuners are being used on the Genie, and you turn on a client, the client will pick any of the 5 shows being recording currently.  At this point you can either watch one of the 5 shows in progress by either tuning to the channel, or by going to the playlist.  you can also watch any previous recorded program while the Genie records 5 shows

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

11 of 14 (158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2013 6:23:01 PM
(0)
Tutor

Are you sure this is correct?  This contradicts what dragon83 said in the thread. Thanks in advance.

Are you sure this is correct?  This contradicts what dragon83 said in the thread. Thanks in advance.

12 of 14 (158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2013 6:27:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

100%.

100%.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

13 of 14 (158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 8:04:12 AM
(0)
Expert

Peds48,s comments are spot on.  A couple of further clarifications.  His comments are based on the assumption than no more than 3 Clients are in use with the Genie.  So, to repeat.  The Genie is recording five programs.  You turn on a Client you'll get a message indicating that the Genie is busy, and give you some choices, interrupt recording, watch one of the recordings, go to the list.  Same will occur with other two Clients.

Peds48,s comments are spot on.  A couple of further clarifications.  His comments are based on the assumption than no more than 3 Clients are in use with the Genie.  So, to repeat.  The Genie is recording five programs.  You turn on a Client you'll get a message indicating that the Genie is busy, and give you some choices, interrupt recording, watch one of the recordings, go to the list.  Same will occur with other two Clients.

14 of 14 (158 Views)