Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Dec 10, 2013
4:36:55 PM
View profile
Tuning into black screens, no sound

HD-DVR HR 24/500

In the past couple of days, a couple of times, when I change to a new channel, I see a black screen, no program.  This can affect all of the channels at once, but sometimes some channels will tune in while the rest are all black screen.  The DVR is showing the normal menus on screen and is responding to the RC normally.  It plays back programs normally, though a few programs have been recorded blank...when I play those few programs, a couple seconds after I press play, I see black screen, then see the Delete Now prompt that you see at the end of a normal recorded program. 

When it's tuning into stations and showing a black screen, if I go into the Settings and view Satellite signals, then exit, the tuner begins to work again and all channels are back to normal.  That remedy has worked. 

But something's wrong.

HD-DVR HR 24/500

In the past couple of days, a couple of times, when I change to a new channel, I see a black screen, no program.  This can affect all of the channels at once, but sometimes some channels will tune in while the rest are all black screen.  The DVR is showing the normal menus on screen and is responding to the RC normally.  It plays back programs normally, though a few programs have been recorded blank...when I play those few programs, a couple seconds after I press play, I see black screen, then see the Delete Now prompt that you see at the end of a normal recorded program. 

When it's tuning into stations and showing a black screen, if I go into the Settings and view Satellite signals, then exit, the tuner begins to work again and all channels are back to normal.  That remedy has worked. 

But something's wrong.

Tuning into black screens, no sound

18 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 6:07:09 PM
(0)
Employee

I would start by making sure NATIVE is OFF

the "blank" recordings may  have been caused by the adverse weather lately, or you could have a poorly aligned dish

I would start by making sure NATIVE is OFF

the "blank" recordings may  have been caused by the adverse weather lately, or you could have a poorly aligned dish

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Tuning into black screens, no sound

2 of 19 (361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2013 8:25:16 AM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks

Menu > Settings & Help > Settings > Display > Video > Native was already Off

I thought of weather but ours hasn't been bad.  This has happened a few times over a few days, now.

Settings > Satellite

View Signal Strengths seem OK to me on the first two pages.... Unfortunately the phone agents don't know which Transponder signals my receiver doesn't use at all because of my region.   Prior experience told me that the local installers know which pages of Signal Strength I need to totally ignore.  The phone reps don't know this and were very alarmed about some Strength reports that had no bearing in this area.

The field tech repositioned my dish this year already.

Does anyone have a reference guide for geographic use of Satellites (and mapped to DVR type, if necessary)?

Thanks

Menu > Settings & Help > Settings > Display > Video > Native was already Off

I thought of weather but ours hasn't been bad.  This has happened a few times over a few days, now.

Settings > Satellite

View Signal Strengths seem OK to me on the first two pages.... Unfortunately the phone agents don't know which Transponder signals my receiver doesn't use at all because of my region.   Prior experience told me that the local installers know which pages of Signal Strength I need to totally ignore.  The phone reps don't know this and were very alarmed about some Strength reports that had no bearing in this area.

The field tech repositioned my dish this year already.

Does anyone have a reference guide for geographic use of Satellites (and mapped to DVR type, if necessary)?

3 of 19 (361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2013 8:33:40 AM
(0)
Scholar

Also, why would my navigating on the DVR to just look at Satellite Signals apparently remedy this problem instantly multiple times?

Also, why would my navigating on the DVR to just look at Satellite Signals apparently remedy this problem instantly multiple times?

4 of 19 (361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2013 8:34:23 AM
(0)
Scholar

If this condition happens again, is there something I should look at and report back here before I fix it?

If this condition happens again, is there something I should look at and report back here before I fix it?

5 of 19 (361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2013 9:49:43 AM
(0)
Expert

Asked and answered in a separate thread.

http://forums.directv.com/thread/11254292

Asked and answered in a separate thread.

http://forums.directv.com/thread/11254292

6 of 19 (361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2013 10:59:33 AM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks

Thanks

7 of 19 (361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 12, 2013 11:31:13 PM
(0)
Scholar

This problem persists.   I just reset the HD DVR.  So will see if it continues tomorrow.

This problem persists.   I just reset the HD DVR.  So will see if it continues tomorrow.

8 of 19 (361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2014 12:59:27 PM
(0)
Contributor

I Have ben having the same issue . I had to unplug the DVR and get it to reset this time. This is annoying

I Have ben having the same issue . I had to unplug the DVR and get it to reset this time. This is annoying

9 of 19 (361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2014 1:26:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Thanks for starting your own new thread. See responses there ....

Thanks for starting your own new thread. See responses there ....

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 19 (361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 7:59:58 AM
(0)
Scholar

This problem has continued.  The HR24 HD DVR repeatedly records programs that just show up as a black screen when you play them and then quickly display the "Delete Now" that you'd see at the end of watching a recorded program.

They have sent yet another HD DVR to replace mine.  It's probably the 4th or 5th one I've had this year.

This problem has continued.  The HR24 HD DVR repeatedly records programs that just show up as a black screen when you play them and then quickly display the "Delete Now" that you'd see at the end of watching a recorded program.

They have sent yet another HD DVR to replace mine.  It's probably the 4th or 5th one I've had this year.

11 of 19 (361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 8:38:44 AM
(0)
Scholar

The DirecTV tech repair guy showed up today to replace the HD DVR.  He's supposed to be the "Case Management" repair - elevated issues.  (according to the retention staff on the phone).

He said he's never heard of this problem with black screen.

Unfortunately, if the problem isn't resolved, it isn't likely to reoccur while  he's still at the house.  It shows frequently, but at random times.

The DirecTV tech repair guy showed up today to replace the HD DVR.  He's supposed to be the "Case Management" repair - elevated issues.  (according to the retention staff on the phone).

He said he's never heard of this problem with black screen.

Unfortunately, if the problem isn't resolved, it isn't likely to reoccur while  he's still at the house.  It shows frequently, but at random times.

12 of 19 (361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 9:21:06 AM
(0)
Tutor

I am having this exact issue - only the audio is working.

THought it was recordings - but it is not - it happens when watching live TV

Have reset the device several times - does not seem to help.

Very disappointing to sit down and watch a recording and only have a blank screen. 

IF it is live - we can reset and 'fix' it - but for recordings - hit and miss.

Seems that DirecTV is having an issue that is affecting multiple people.

FYI... I am in the Bay Area (CA) - and using a Genie HR34-700 - it is almost exactly 1 year old.

I am having this exact issue - only the audio is working.

THought it was recordings - but it is not - it happens when watching live TV

Have reset the device several times - does not seem to help.

Very disappointing to sit down and watch a recording and only have a blank screen. 

IF it is live - we can reset and 'fix' it - but for recordings - hit and miss.

Seems that DirecTV is having an issue that is affecting multiple people.

FYI... I am in the Bay Area (CA) - and using a Genie HR34-700 - it is almost exactly 1 year old.

13 of 19 (361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 9:24:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

That's almost certainly a different issue, lcalamar.   Best to start your own new thread with more details about your equipment and connections.   If the audio continues, it's more likely and HDMI handshake issue.

That's almost certainly a different issue, lcalamar.   Best to start your own new thread with more details about your equipment and connections.   If the audio continues, it's more likely and HDMI handshake issue.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

14 of 19 (361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 12:12:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

Why is this a different problem. The resolution is exactly the same as the

other posts.

Also - it is not specific to a single TV or Device.

The issue happens on any of my 3 directv setups.

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 9:25 AM, litzdog911 <

Why is this a different problem. The resolution is exactly the same as the

other posts.

Also - it is not specific to a single TV or Device.

The issue happens on any of my 3 directv setups.

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 9:25 AM, litzdog911 <

15 of 19 (361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 2:17:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

If the audio continues, then it's a different problem.  Perhaps the resolution is the same, but it's clearly NOT the "exact same problem". 

If the audio continues, then it's a different problem.  Perhaps the resolution is the same, but it's clearly NOT the "exact same problem". 

16 of 19 (361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 2:24:39 PM
(0)
Expert

The suggestion to "start your own fresh thread" is a useful suggestion and is not an admonition.  Piggy backing onto someone else's thread waters down the advice any one poster can benefit from. 

The suggestion to "start your own fresh thread" is a useful suggestion and is not an admonition.  Piggy backing onto someone else's thread waters down the advice any one poster can benefit from. 

17 of 19 (361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 4:17:08 PM
(0)
Scholar

I'm the OP and I'm interested to learn of another member who has a similar problem, although if the audio works for you, it's symptomatically different than mine.    I think it's appropriate to mention your issue here and to also create your own thread with a specific description of your issue.

When this problem happens:

When I tune to a new channel, I get black screen, no audio.  When the DVR records, it records black screen, no audio.

I'm the OP and I'm interested to learn of another member who has a similar problem, although if the audio works for you, it's symptomatically different than mine.    I think it's appropriate to mention your issue here and to also create your own thread with a specific description of your issue.

When this problem happens:

When I tune to a new channel, I get black screen, no audio.  When the DVR records, it records black screen, no audio.

18 of 19 (361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 8:38:36 AM
(0)
Scholar

And another one

And another one

19 of 19 (361 Views)